PDA

View Full Version : Sun Dried Tomatoes

Earthling
09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I love sun-dried tomatoes. I got this good info online on how to make your own. A good idea for your extra tomatoes!

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Slice & Dry
I slice the round tomatoes about 1/2" thick vertically from top to bottom because the slices seem to be meatier and hold together better. I cut the cherry, grape, and paste tomatoes in half lengthwise and try to flatten them out a little so they will not take as long to dry.

I do not add seasoning to my tomatoes while drying primarily because some of it falls off in the drying process, and more is lost with future processes. It also allows me to experiment with different herb flavors for specific jars of sun-dried tomatoes. I may powder (or flake) any leftover slices, too, so I do not want the seasoning or salt.

I set my dehydrator at 135-140 degrees F, then check every few hours to remove any dried slices and turn the rest. I place the dried tomatoes in storage bags in the refrigerator until time to jar them.

Dunk & Drain
Soak the dried tomato slices in a bowl of warm apple cider vinegar (a microwave comes in handy for heating the vinegar) for just a few minutes. Tomatoes should be partially hydrated and pliable. Drain the excess vinegar from the slices on paper towels or cotton cloth.

Secret Seasoning
Layer drained tomatoes in small jars, alternating with dried herbs and spices. If tomatoes were already dried with salt and seasoning, you can quickly end up with overly seasoned slices. Just a little seasoning goes a long way.

* 2 tablespoons dried basil
* 1 tablespoon hot-n-spicy oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
* a very small pinch of powdered cayenne

Stack and Store
Once a jar is stacked nearly full of tomatoes, pour a bit of olive oil over the slices and use a fork to firmly push them down under the olive oil and squeeze out the air bubbles.

Repeat the layering process until the tomato slices reach where the jar threads begin (if you are using standard canning jars), or about 3/4-inch from the jar rim. Add olive oil until the jar is filled within 1/4 to 1/2 inch from top, with the last tomato slice 3/8 to 1/2 inch under the oil surface.
Depending on how hard you pushed down on the tomato slices, after a few hours they may expand/rise up just a little. So be sure to check them later and top off the jars with more olive oil if needed. The slices must be stored under the oil surface to keep air and contaminates away.

Justme
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Love sun dried tomatoes in oil. However it is my understanding that food scientists don't recommend preserving anything in oil because of the threat of botulism. Some think the acid in tomatoes will prevent the botulism in the anaerobic oil environment but not all tomatoes have sufficient acidity. This site recommends drying and storing but not adding the oil until a few hours before using and then storing them in the refrigerator..

http://www.pickyourown.org/tomatoes_sun_dried.htm