PDA

View Full Version : Time to plant your garden!

Equanimity
12-05-2010, 06:06 PM
:shiny: At least for you all in Zones 9! Its a perfect time for planting your cold weather crops! What you planted?

phylm
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
:shiny: At least for you all in Zones 9! Its a perfect time for planting your cold weather crops! What you planted?

We're on the edge of 8, but hope to get some stuff in this week...under glass: head lettuce, swiss chard, broccoli, spinach and? Now that the storage room is built, the garden is the next priority. Have to start from scratch again...just tough sod. We'll probably put down plastic to kill the grass for our big spring patches.

Will draw loads of cow manure on Saturdays all winter. We plan to put in at least 30 of those remarkable thornless blackberry plants to get started on a u-pic business.

signseeker
12-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I want to plant my garlic today, now that the snow has melted enough. I just bought some heads (?) at WalMart and I'll pull them apart into cloves and put about 5 cloves in a little circle here and there around the house... going to plant some other herbs in the area in the spring. I hope they do well. I love the garlic chives and the purple flowers are real pretty. Never tried garlic this way before. Tried it from seed and didn't have very good success. I could've forgot to water them, though.

KF7EEC
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
what zone is Las Vegas in?

signseeker
12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Here's a map:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I think you can google your zip code then "usda zone" and probably get it, too.

Equanimity
12-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I think Vegas is the Same as AZ where I am. I am a tiny bit late planting my garlic, but its planted. Hopefully I will do well with it. Last year my chickens got to it and ate it all! Uggh! I asked DH for a mango tree for Christmas, so I am hoping I will get one. I love mangos!