PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite tomatoes?

Julie
01-21-2011, 10:27 AM
What are your favorite tomatoes to grow?

prairiemom
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I never go a year without Amish Paste. Big, heavy paste tomatoes with great flavor.

For cherry tomatoes we like Brownberry, a deep, rich tomatoey flavor and Golden Sun--pretty yellow that is VERY prolific.

Black Krim Sailor is the first tomato that my 15yo has liked. We tried it last year for the first time and it was a hit.

Dh likes Purple Prudens "the ugliest tomato". For me it's OK, but not better than Brandywine. But since we don't get consistently good results from Brandywine and we do from Prudens, we go with PP.

Every year I grow one yellow variety. Last year we tried Dr. Whyche's Yellow. It was a bad year for all our tomatoes, but this one did especially poorly. Since the flavor was nothing remarkable, I doubt I'll try it again. Same with Wapsiconin--I thought the skin was too thick, the flavor was too mild, the flesh was too dry. Not one we're going to try again.

LEVE
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Me, I can't grow a thing... my family's inherited black thumbs. But, on the bright side, my favorite tomatoes are.... red. We like to keep things simple.

Ligure
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Roma, Amish paste (new since last year), Early Girl, Health Kick, Yellow Pear (cherry).

Ligure

Highlandsunrise
01-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Big Beef and Jetstar but I would like a good heirloom to try this year.

FixItGuy
01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I always put in a early girl into Highlands mix. I always hope for that first one asap.

Julie
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I really liked my 4th of July's I planted last year. I always plant Early Girls and these 4th of July's were similar but they out produced the Early Girls. The Early Girls have a tendency to stop producing when it gets hot but the heat didn't seem to stop the 4th of July's. They are not real big tomatoes but they are consistant.

FixItGuy
01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. on 4th of July tomatoes.
I would like to find a strong acidic tomato. The more acid the better.
I enjoyed the last good home grown about the first of Dec. last year.

signseeker
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I've liked Eva Purple Ball a LOT. They're a pinkish-red medium sized tomato that has zero cracking and zero bug problems and zero blossom end rot or anything else. They are just perfect tomatoes. Heirloom.

Also like the Rutgers Select a lot. They are very strong stemmed - the little seedlings look like little Marines compared to the other varieties - very sturdy. Good orange-red medium sized tomatoes with very little problems, if any. Heirloom.

Mexico Midget. Thee best cherry tomato I've ever had. Very small and red. You pop one in your mouth and you remember what tomatoes are supposed to taste like. Superb. No bug/disease problems. Heirloom.

Going to try a couple more heirlooms this year. Amish Paste (I hope I have tomatoes coming out my ears!), Arkansas Traveler and German Johnson. My family just isn't into the different colored varieties. Although I have some Snow White (white-yellowish cherry) seed, but I don't know if I'll plant any of that this year.

I believe the heirloom varieties have a higher natural acid content than hybrids.

Earthling
01-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Early Girl, Celebrity and a cherry tomato. Last year I had tons of cherry so I will cut back on that this year.

waif69
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Beefsteak grown in NJ... they are the best. Really, it's been proven.