PDA

View Full Version : Bok Choi

cHeroKee
01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
My Bok Choi is up 2"now (planted the seeds Sunday). They won't make Chinese new year on the 3rd but will be good in 3 more weeks.

I also have 50 tomato plants of 6 varieties started. I may have to give them away if I go back East for surgical training.

Now need to figure out how to get rid of the household gnats. They started as a couple and have bred into the 94th air squadron (so many of them!!) Anyone have a good way of getting rid of them?

Got to love it baby!!

4evermama
02-01-2011, 12:18 AM
If you have fruit flies, place a small piece of banana in the bottom of a jar.
Roll a piece of paper into a funnel with the small end (smaller than the size of a dime) placed in the jar, so that the mouth of the jar is sealed.

Make sure there is about a two inch clearance between the fruit and the paper.

They fly in to get the rotting fruit.
They can't get out.

Some people put a wee bit of vinegar at the bottom of the jar, but I had great luck without it.

They'll be gone in a matter of a couple of days.

prairiemom
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
What tomato varieties did you plant?

signseeker
02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
When will you know if you're going back east? :w00t:

I mean, we'll sure miss you. :nosmile2: But I could give some tomatoes a good home. :d0 (36):

cHeroKee
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
When will you know if you're going back east? :w00t:

I mean, we'll sure miss you. :nosmile2: But I could give some tomatoes a good home. :d0 (36):
Sometime between March and May.

cHeroKee
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Problem is they are not fruit flies (round in shape) but more long and skinny. I believe they are feeding on the bark and fungus in the potting soil. I think I may need to change to a sterile and more like dirt potting soil.

If you have fruit flies, place a small piece of banana in the bottom of a jar.
Roll a piece of paper into a funnel with the small end (smaller than the size of a dime) placed in the jar, so that the mouth of the jar is sealed.

Make sure there is about a two inch clearance between the fruit and the paper.

They fly in to get the rotting fruit.
They can't get out.

Some people put a wee bit of vinegar at the bottom of the jar, but I had great luck without it.

They'll be gone in a matter of a couple of days.

Toni
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
The only thing I know of is sticky paper (sticky, like tape). I got some, once, at a gardening supply store. You can lay the paper flat or put it on a stick of some sort, put the stick in the soil, and the paper is vertical. They are supposed to get stuck on that as they come and go. I hope you get rid of them. They are nasty little things. I have never gotten them when I plant my seeds in regular dirt, but they are almost always there when I buy potting soil. I don't know if they're already in the soil or if they are attracted to something in it.