PDA

View Full Version : Rice recipes!

signseeker
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I love rice. Rice is a great food storage food. One of the kids' favorite dinners is Haystacks, which begins with rice and "gravy" (cream of chicken soup) over it, then topped with cheese, chow mein noodles, tomatoes, celery, whatever you want...

I need some more rice recipes. :l0 (3):

Last night I made Vietnam Fried Rice. After the :rolleyes (2): routine, the stinkers ate it all up and DH didn't think I'd used the food storage - like I'd bought some mix or something. I keep telling them my 70s hippie cookbooks are awesome.

It goes like this:

Have 3 C. of cooked rice ready. (I'm doubling the whole thing from now on for our family.)

Cook some meat (1/2 pound maybe) in a pan (we used chicken) with:
4 T. cooking oil
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1-2 T. soy sauce
1 onion, chopped

If you have raw veggies (I added carrots, celery and bell peppers this time) add them after a minute of cooking the above. If they are cooked veggies, add them after the following rice step.

Add the cooked rice and stir and cook for 5-ish minutes.

*I added a shot of sesame oil here*

Add 2 beaten eggs. Slowly stir in so it's even and stir and cook for a couple more minutes. EAT!

I added some more soy sauce to mine at the end.

This can be made from food storage, if you have dehydrated veggies on hand and some egg substitute, I think. Never used egg substitute. I imagine you could leave that out, too.

So! Gimme your awesome rice recipes that can be made with food storage! :l0 (3):

mirkwood
02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
So! Gimme your awesome rice recipes that can be made with food storage!

Boiling water. :smilielol5:

Charlene
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

◦ 1 (46 ounce) cans chicken broth
◦ 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
◦ 1 cup uncooked rice
◦ 2 cups diced cooked chicken (I use a pint of home-canned chicken)
◦ 1/4 cup lemon juice
◦ 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind (I throw in a handful of dehydrated lemon slices)

I use the broth from the can of chicken as part of the chicken broth measurement.

Whisk together the broth and chicken soup in a large pot. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender.

If you go beyond this time, it may absorb all the broth and end more as a rice dish instead of soup. I like to sometimes add some canned red pepper too.

signseeker
02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Rice is good to add to stuff, too. Soups especially can be stretched out with a pot of rice. :thumbsup:

Justme
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
A classic is Chinese Hash. Made similar to your recipe, Sign. Can use tuna or cannned beef or pork(drain liquid first). The vegetables called for are celery and onions sauted a bit before adding the rice. Instead of the eggs can add nuts, almonds or cashews, and a cream soup, or not. Can top with canned Chinese noodles, the crunchy kind, but it is just as good without if you leave the vegetables a little crunchy.

I also like to add a little brown rice or wild in place of some white to improve the nutritional value.

Noahs ARK
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't forget Rice Pudding for dessert!!

Creamy Rice Pudding

1/2 gallon milk
1 cup white sugar
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
ground cinnamon to taste

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1/2 gallon milk, sugar and rice. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and let rest 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup milk, salt, vanilla & cinnamon. Stir into rice mixture and return pot to low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch dish and cover with plastic wrap, folding back the corners to allow the steam to escape.

Cover tightly and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight before serving.

~~ I love it warm ~~

Earthling
02-03-2011, 12:09 AM
We love ham fried rice too. . . and stir frys . . . and turkey rice soup . . . and . the rice with the cream of chicken soup sauce on top then topped with Ritz crackers - called Poppy Seed Chicken.

Baconator
02-03-2011, 07:18 AM
I make Bacon fried rice (go figure).

2 cups of prepared rice.
4-6 strips of cooked Bacon.
Little green onions.
Soy sauce.

Cook rice. Cut up little green onions. Cook Bacon in a deep pan. Leave a little grease in the pan.
Dump rice into hot pan. Cut up Bacon into it. Add onions to it. Add some soy sauce. Simple and delicious.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2888832266_0e38006ff8.jpg

signseeker
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
NoahsArk- Those eggs don't look like they're getting cooked all that much. :glare: I guess 2 min. is enough... How long do you let the steam escape before you cover it tightly?

Earthling- How do you get the name "Poppy Seed" chicken out of that? :blink:

Baconator- That. Looks. Awesome. If I hadn't already thawed some steak out, I'd be making that tonight. :thumbsup:

Justme
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
This one is a different combination than I have usually seen. Don't have the recipe written down but it calls for a lot of celery and onions sauteed also before adding rice and tuna. The different part is that you then sprinkle liberally with a lot of paprika. We usually think of paprika as just a visual garnishment but the taste really is good on this dish. Since I am allergic to celery I use shredded cabbage which is just a good.

Noahs ARK
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
NoahsArk- Those eggs don't look like they're getting cooked all that much. :glare: I guess 2 min. is enough... How long do you let the steam escape before you cover it tightly?

2 minutes is more than enough cuz you're pouring it into the hot mixture, which will instantly start cooking it. But you can cook it a little longer once you put it back on the heat.

I cover it with saran wrap and then make a little 1-inch slice in it - the steam comes out that way.

Easy Peasy.

P.S. I use a heat diffuser, so I don't have to stir it constantly and it won't scorch. Do you have one? If not, WalMart or Target should have one.

Pilikia
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I love calrose aka "sticky" rice and use it in all but one of my rice dishes. My DH loves chicken and rice.

1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup (hmm, there's a theme going on here!)
1 1/2 cans of water
Chicken breasts or tenderloins (I usually use 6 breasts or a bag of tenderloins)

mix rice and soup together and put in 13x9 pan. Put chicken (can be frozen) on top. Bake in 350 degree oven for three hours.

You can add seasonings on top if you like. I usually put paprika on it.

An old VT companion of mine used to bring it to me when I'd have one of my surgeries. It is SOOO good!

mirkwood
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
That looks great bacon. I've never found a fried rice recipe that turned out.

signseeker
02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
What happens to yours, mirk?

DMGNUT
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
All right all you rice experts, what's the best way to prepare (flavor) rice that will be served as part of a Louisiana style "rice and beans".
The "beans" portion of this dish always has thin sliced sausage cooked in it, which is then ladled over a plate of rice and brought out with a bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce. (or Tabasco, etc).
Just plain white rice, or what?
What says ye?

DMGNUT
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
PS. Cats like rice dishes.

But... so do my dogs.

Noahs ARK
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Does your grocery store sell Rotel? That goes great in rice, especially if served with beans. They have regular or hot.

DMGNUT
02-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll have to ask the wife about that...
Thanks bunches.

Noahs ARK
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Rotel....http://www.ro-tel.com/index.jsp It'll be in the canned bean section.

signseeker
02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I'd say plain white rice, but I'm no Louisiana cookin' expert. And I'm easy to please...

Earthling, on the other hand...

4evermama
02-04-2011, 12:50 AM
All right all you rice experts, what's the best way to prepare (flavor) rice that will be served as part of a Louisiana style "rice and beans".

I grew up on red beans and rice, if that's what you are referring to.
Let me know if you want the recipe.
I use sausage, bacon, a ham hock and white rice.

signseeker
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, we want the recipe! Helllooooo..... :cheers2:

mirkwood
02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
It just never tastes good. Which is strange since I am a good cook.

Noahs ARK
02-04-2011, 09:43 PM
It just never tastes good. Which is strange since I am a good cook.

My fried rice never turns out good, either. I guess I want it taste exactly like it does at the chinese restaurant, which will never happen. :incazzato:

Earthling
02-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Earthling- How do you get the name "Poppy Seed" chicken out of that? :blink:

Cuz I didn't give you the whole recipe. This is easy & tasty.

Ingredients:
5 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (Ritz)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the chicken into a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. Pour over the chicken. In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly.

DMGNUT
02-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Yes in deedy. Please.

Earthling
02-05-2011, 07:26 PM
I make ham fried rice that was decent but now have an excellent recipe for it if anyone wants it. It has more stuff in it so it is more of a complete meal.

signseeker
02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Okay, I know you people are not stoopid. Why ask if we want the recipe? Read the thread title for CRYING OUT LOUD! :20::smash::d0 (36):

I don't know how mine turned out well because I've never made fried rice before now, but it did taste as good or better than the chinese restaurant rice. And having extra stuff in it - veggies, whatever - makes it taste even better! :hurray: I thought maybe it was the egg, but then I made baconator's rice without egg and it was great, too. Added carrots and bell pepper to it.

Earthling
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I just wanted to make sure you REALLY wanted that particular recipe because I have to type the whole thing out - takes time. But as I can see you will appreciate my efforts and thank this post here goes:

Ham Fried Rice

2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup peas
1 cup chopped carrots (steamed)
1/2 cup chopped ham
2 cups cooked cold rice
2 tbsp chicken broth
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper

Beat eggs with salt. Heat 1 tbsp oil in fry pan over med heat. Pour in eggs and stir continuously until eggs are cooked dry & separate into small pieces. Remove eggs and set aside. Heat 2 tbsp oil for a minute. Add onion, peas, carrots, and ham. Cook until onion becomes translucent. Add rice and stir fry for 5 additional minutes. Add broth and soy sauce. Stir in eggs and pepper. Mix well. Add more oil if you need more moisture.

Noahs ARK
02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Taste of Home has a lot of good recipes for rice.

I think this will be a good one for all those freeze-dried green & red bell peppers we have.

Calico Rice

1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot cooked rice
In a large skillet, saute peppers in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender; stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt; toss with rice.

signseeker
02-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Do you think dehydrated bell peppers would fry up good in this? Or would they be mushy, better a for soup/chili/spaghetti sauce type of life?

Noahs ARK
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Do you think dehydrated bell peppers would fry up good in this? Or would they be mushy, better a for soup/chili/spaghetti sauce type of life?

Hmmm...good point. Poo!

signseeker
02-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm just asking, I don't know. But I do know I'm going to try to grow LOTS of peppers this year... wondering if I should dehydrate mostly, or freeze mostly. Wondering how they'll turn out. I want to can much salsa, too. I guess it'll be a lot of "experimenting." :D

hiccups
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm just asking, I don't know. But I do know I'm going to try to grow LOTS of peppers this year... wondering if I should dehydrate mostly, or freeze mostly. Wondering how they'll turn out. I want to can much salsa, too. I guess it'll be a lot of "experimenting." :D
A lot of peppers are very yummy if you roast them before you freeze them. It's pretty easy. Roast them under your broiler or on your bbq until the skin is blackened on both sides. Let them cool just enough to not melt ziplock bags and then put them in the bags, leaving them unzipped until they are cool enough to freeze. They will sort of steam in the bags (even with the tops open.) Once they have cooled to room temp, squeeze out the air, zip the bags and freeze them. When you thaw a bag, and take out a pepper, the skin should be really easy to remove. Roasted peppers are super yum.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM

They would definitely have a different texture than fresh peppers. They'd be good to add to the rice while it's cooking, tho!

LOVE fresh peppers. I used to freeze and dehydrate them. I like being able to grab a handful out of the freezer bag.

Salsa...yes!!

DMGNUT
02-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Hey... please, please, please...

Earthling
02-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I have frozen green peppers multiple times but they always taste bitter when I use them.

I will try roasting the red peppers. They are expensive to buy in jars.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I have frozen green peppers multiple times but they always taste bitter when I use them.

You could try blanching them before you freeze them. I know it's extra work, but might be worth it.

4evermama
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 98%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top width="98%">Red Beans and Rice

3 TB bacon grease<O:p</O:p
1 large onion-diced or ¼ C dehydrated onions<O:p</O:p
1 bell pepper, diced or 2 TB dehydrated bell pepper <O:p</O:p
1 cup celery diced or ¼ C dehydrated celery <O:p</O:p
6 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder <O:p</O:p
2 tsp Kosher salt<O:p</O:p
1 tsp ground pepper<O:p</O:p
½ tsp cayenne pepper<O:p</O:p
2 Bay leaves<O:p</O:p
1 tsp dried Thyme<O:p</O:p
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce<O:p</O:p
1 tsp Tobasco Sauce (or more to taste)<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
1 smoked ham hock, or 1 lb. smoked ham chopped <O:p</O:p
(or 1 ham bone if you are desperate)
<O:p1 pound Andouille or smoked sausage cut in 1” slices
<O:p4 strips cooked bacon- crumbled
<O:p
2 qts broth (or water if desperate)
1 pound red beans (dry- pressure cooker, soaked- stove top)

Sauté onions, bell pepper, celery and salt in bacon grease until tender. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Brown sausage and ham in vegetable mixture while adding pepper, cayenne, thyme, Tabasco, Worcestershire and bacon. Add broth- stir. Add beans and bay. Mix well.

<O:p<O:p
Okay, now I cook mine in a pressure cooker for about 40 minutes. Natural pressure release.

<O:p<O:pIf you are doing this stove-top, use pre-soaked, rinsed and drained beans. Cook on a low to med simmer for about 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring every 20-30 minutes. Add ¼- ½ C water as needed. Then, before you serve, take out about a cup of beans, mash them and return them to the pot. Remove bay leaves.

Serve over cooked rice.<O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

signseeker
02-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Soon as I read "bacon grease" I knew this was gone be good. :yesnod:

4evermama
02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
My grandma used to keep a coffee tin full of bacon grease on the stove. Can't say that I do that, but I'm happy to use it when I have it.
This is a love it or hate it type of dish.
Gotta like beans, gotta like pork, gotta like rice.

We spice ours up a bit. Hubby was raised in CA so it took him a while to get used to it. Now he asks for it. My teens grew up on it and love it.

Anything with Bacon is good in my book.
I think I'll go make a BLT for lunch, in fact.

signseeker
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I keep a Mason jar of bacon grease in the fridge. :thumbup:

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I keep a Mason jar of bacon grease in the fridge. :thumbup:

I had a bunch of those little Midgets from Tupperware that I wasn't using. I fill them with bacon grease & stash them in my freezer. It's the perfect size for a batch of beans in the crockpot.

But I really should keep a Mason jar in my frig, too!

4evermama
02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I had a bunch of those little Midgets from Tupperware that I wasn't using. I fill them with bacon grease & stash them in my freezer. It's the perfect size for a batch of beans in the crockpot.

But I really should keep a Mason jar in my frig, too!

Both are great ideas. I'll start a mason jar asap.
I keep garlic, sliced ginger and some herbs in the freezer in small containers, but had never thought of bacon grease.

Now, ham bones and turkey necks?? Keep a couple of each of them around for soups.
I love ward Christmas parties. Everybody wants to throw out the ham bones, so another sister and I split them up.

Tons of things can be recycled into different meals.

Maybe we could start a new thread to share ideas!?!?

4evermama
02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I take no responsibility for any adverse health issues that might arise due to these ingredients.

This is a great dish to serve with Carne Asada.

Green Chili Rice<O:p</O:p
6 C cooked Rice
1 C Butter- melted
16 oz Sour cream
1 can Green Chilies
4 C Monterey Jack cheese- shredded
1 C Milk
3 eggs
Mix rice, cheese and butter.
Beat eggs and milk together and blend into rice mixture.
Add sour cream and chilies.
Bake in 9x13” casserole dish @ 350 for 30 minutes.

4evermama
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
The first time that had ever used Minute Rice was about 6 months ago. I got a box at the store for free. I couldn't believe how fast it cooked. This is a hit when I serve it with Enchilada Casserole.

Super Fast Spanish Rice<O:p</O:p
1 C chopped Onion
4 C Minute Rice
4 C water
1 16 oz can Tomato Sauce
2 tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
1 C Salsa
Sauté onion in butter. Add rice and stir constantly until lightly browned.
Stir in tomato sauce, salt, pepper and salsa. Mix thoroughly.
Add water, mix well. Simmer on low until all water is absorbed.

4evermama
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
This is a quick and easy rice dish when you need to be focused on cooking another dish on the stove top.

Easy Baked Spanish Rice<O:p</O:p
½ C Butter
1 C Onion- chopped
4 cloves Garlic- minced
2 C long grain Rice
2 cans diced Tomatoes
1 can diced Green Chilies
1 C frozen or canned Corn
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp ground Pepper
4 C Chicken Broth
Sauté butter, onion, garlic and rice until lightly browned.
Transfer to a greased 9x13” casserole dish.
Add broth and gently stir.
Bake @ 375 for 1 hour, stirring once at the ½ hour mark.

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Maybe we could start a new thread to share ideas!?!?

Good idea!

Justme
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks, 4Ever... I had a similar recipe that I lost. Couldn't remember the the proportions so I wasn't getting the texture I wanted, either too much liquid or not enough. Glad to see this.

signseeker
02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
New threads for recipe/food ideas - always good! :thumbup:

4evermama
02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
This is soooo not a hijacking post.
Easy Risotto recipe that my teens love to make when it's their turn to cook.

Risotto

3 TB Butter
3 TB Olive Oil
1 C Onion- diced
3 C Arborio Rice
1 pound frozen Peas
10 C Chicken Broth

Saute onion in butter and oil over medium heat.
Add rice and peas.
Mix together until rice is coated.
Add broth- one cup at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
Let each cup of broth be completely absorbed before adding the next cup.
Cook time is about 30 minutes of continuous stirring.
Risotto should be firm, not mushy.

Top with shaved Parmesean and fresh ground pepper.

Optional- add fresh, sliced mushrooms with the rice and peas.
-OR- add sliced/shredded chicken during saute.

arbilad
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Bump