PDA

View Full Version : Best place for seeds in So. Utah

Julie
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I just picked up some non-hybrid cucumber seeds - Marketmore. I got 1/2 oz (feels like over a hundred seeds) for $1.19 at Ballard's Nursery in Hurricane. They package the seeds themselves and have all kinds and I couldn't believe the prices. At these prices gardening becomes very affordable.

signseeker
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I got my Marketmore seeds from WalMart for 20cents, but it was more like 25-30 seeds...? I sure don't need 100 cucumber plants... just enough to use and save seed for next year. They should be getting seeds pretty soon now that Valentine's is over...

When I first read the thread title I was going to post - "ask Julie!" :w00t:

Julie
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Buying in bulk like this I only need to buy seeds every few years. In fact if I save the seeds I'd never have to buy them again!

signseeker
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that's my plan... I'd like to have my own saved seeds for everything I would regularly grow. Wouldn't that be awesome? :w00t: I bought some bell pepper seeds from Baker Creek this year because I didn't have much variety there... but I'm getting closer.

A friend of mine didn't get around to taking up all her lettuce in the fall of '09 and last year she had the most beautiful crop of lettuces you've ever seen. And it came on earlier than usual, too. Cuz it was already in the ground I guess. I think I might try that... I'll pick out a place for a "salad patch" and when it gets to be later in the fall I'll just let it go to seed... see what happens in spring 2012. :D

phylm
02-15-2011, 09:36 PM
"Pinetree Seeds" in Maine is the best source I' ve found for a really good list of open pollinated seeds at very affordable prices. Most packets are from $1.25-$2.00. I agree with Julie...buy more than what you need for your garden, plant what you'll use, and keep the rest frozen. They'll keep for years. It is much less risky experimenting with saving seeds when you have a reliable supply put away.

R. H. Shumway seeds also has nearly every seed you can think of, including a nice amount of heritage seeds, but they are a a bit more pricey than Pinetree.