PDA

View Full Version : How to grow a garden to feed a family

Julie
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/doctorprepper/2011/02/26/family-garden-doctor-02-25-2011

Julie
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
One thing that Jim mentions is starting your plants instead of putting the seed in the soil gives you a better germination rate. I had such a hard time getting my cucumbers to germinate last year (hot then cold weather) that I have started mine and plan on getting them in the ground this week or next. They already look better than they did last year. Stronger plants.

signseeker
02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm going to experiment both ways with that this year. I haven't had problems with the cukes, but I'm going to direct plant some tomatoes and peppers to see if they catch up. I know - peppers?? she must be joking! - but after planting beans and squash on JULY 4TH (!) and getting a bumper crop, I think I may be underestimating how fast things can grow.

I'm not going to be in a rush to get the seeds in the ground, either. Some people put out tomato plants on Mother's Day. I think I'll wait 'till Memorial day.

It's good to hear how others' experiments do. :)

Julie
02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I've had volunteers (peppers and tomatoes) come up and they catch up and do just fine.
My problem is that I'm having to beat the heat. I need production before the heat hits because my garden tends to slow down with the heat and then picks back up when it starts to cool down.

signseeker
02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah, mine slows down a bit, too... I'm sure not as much as yours. I don't mind though, cuz I slow down in the heat, too. :d0 (28):

tracie
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I've had volunteers (peppers and tomatoes) come up and they catch up and do just fine.
My problem is that I'm having to beat the heat. I need production before the heat hits because my garden tends to slow down with the heat and then picks back up when it starts to cool down.

Have you tried shade cloth? It comes in different percentages...meaning it will block different percentages of light. That might help cool off the garden just enough to keep it going.

arbilad
05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Bump

mgriffith
05-28-2012, 06:27 AM
I've done a great deal of searching the internet on this subject during the past few years. There are a lot of differing opinions, but one that seems to pop out the most is 4000 (roughly) square feet for one person to grow all their food needs for a year. That is A LOT of plants in a roughly 65 foot by 65 foot area.

I have been experimenting in growing vegetables for over 12 years now in my back yard garden and I have learned a few things which I'll share as long as no one minds:

1. You need to grow a lot more than you think.
2. It's easier than you think if you use some modern methods.
3. Weeding is a HUGE problem unless you mulch A LOT (with whatever you can find).
4. Automatic watering is key.
5. It takes only a few hours each week if the above is followed.
6. You have to become a small animal killing machine if you want to harvest anything.

I figure I'll have the turn most of the back yard into a garden if I wanted to feed myself and the wife for a year. But then, storage will become a big problem. This year I'm taking a break and not planting anything so I an re-assess my program.

It never ends.

Mark