PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes and peas are up!

phylm
03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Got half of what we plan for a garden tilled last week...30' X 80'. 80' rows of potatoes and peas are up. Got good help from a man who is working off his church obligation for assistance. He is an excellent worker, and dug all the post holes for our back yard fence, dug the posts from the enclosure we are doing away with, and placed them in the new holes. Hubby helped him put up and stretch the woven wire, and they started to put the barbed wire on top today. Deer and rabbits are a real problem here.

While our guy was working on the fence posts, my husband dug the 80' ditch that the asparagus will go into. Then he removed sod and dug holes for the fruit trees we ordered. Some of them came yesterday, and he set out several apples, a nectarine, and an apricot. I have half of my new herb garden planted, and have planted cabbage, broccoli, and some other stuff that we'll transplant into the second half of the garden later.

Tomorrow is my husband's 81st birthday, so we'll leave before 6:30 a.m. to meet the couple we are car-pooling with to the temple now. Gas $!!!

Sunny, breezy and 80 degrees, and life is good today.

Julie
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow! Sounds like you guys are on the ball.
I have my summer squash and cucumbers transplanted and my green beans in. I have spent most of my garden time hunting gophers. I've set off 3 co2 bombs and 1 trap and still haven't caught the buggers yet. The war is on and I intend to win.

Earthling
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I am starting my seeds indoors on Friday . . . sure a big difference in where you live!

caml
03-17-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm still waiting for the rest of the snow to melt and the temp to stay above freezing at night. :frusty:

Baconator
03-17-2011, 06:13 PM
The garlic I put in too late last year, that I thought had died, is about 6 inches tall!

phylm
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Wow! Sounds like you guys are on the ball.
I have my summer squash and cucumbers transplanted and my green beans in. I have spent most of my garden time hunting gophers. I've set off 3 co2 bombs and 1 trap and still haven't caught the buggers yet. The war is on and I intend to win.

Can give you a surefire way to get rid of earth burrowers. Take a can of gasoline, some old rags and a shovel. Put a rag down the hole, pour a bit of gas on it--don't ignite--and fill the hole opening with dirt. Fumes will take care of the garden robbers. Sure worked on woodchucks in my misspent youth, and saved on .22 shells.

phylm
03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
The garlic I put in too late last year, that I thought had died, is about 6 inches tall!

So happy for you!!