PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made cottage cheese?..

Noahs ARK
03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Cottage cheese is one of my favorite foods, but the price for a #10 just about sends me into spasms. One site had it for $52.00 !!

I'd like to start experimenting with recipes - anyone here successfully made it?

Justme
03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I haven't made it myself but my mom used to make it. I didn't like it as it was too acidic (sour) tasting. It didn't seem like a very involved process as it does when I read the recipes, just heat the milk, add the start, let sit in warm place-we had a wood cook stove so we just put the milk to the back corner. Cut, strain. I don't remember the reheating step that is supposed to finish the process but it has been a long time. Bottom line is I didn't like it and would go without rather than make it if I couldn't buy it.

phylm
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep. Used to watch my mother do it, and then was given the task myself when I was 12.

We just let the skim milk clabber on the kitchen shelf. When it was "solid" we poured it into a cheesecloth lined colander and let the whey drip off. Then put the solids in a larger pan and poured boiling water over it. Stirred, while it "cooked", then drained it in cheesecloth again. Voila! Cottage cheese.

I've been procrastinating on trying to make it with dry milk, just as I've put off making cheddar and mozzarella with it. MUST mend my ways.

Cowboy
03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a new batch every time I clean out my fridge.

phylm
03-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a new batch every time I clean out my fridge.

LOL!!! :l0 (63):

Noahs ARK
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Here's the recipe I'll be trying this weekend. It's from the Food Network - Tyler Florence.

Homemade Cottage Cheese
<LI class=ingredient>1 gallon pasteurized skim milk <LI class=ingredient>3/4 cup white vinegar <LI class=ingredient>1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup half-and half-or heavy cream
Pour the skim milk into a large pan and place over medium heat.
Heat to 120 degrees F.
Remove from the heat and gently pour in the vinegar.
Stir slowly for 1 to 2 minutes.
The curd will separate from the whey.
Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pour the mixture into a colander lined with a tea towel and allow to sit and drain for 5 minutes.
Gather up the edges of the cloth and rinse under cold water for 3 to 5 minutes or until the curd is completely cooled, squeezing and moving the mixture the whole time.
Once cooled, squeeze as dry as possible and transfer to a mixing bowl.
Add the salt and stir to combine, breaking up the curd into bite-size pieces as you go.

If ready to serve immediately, stir in the half-and-half or heavy cream.

If not, transfer to a sealable container and place in the refrigerator. Add the half and half or heavy cream just prior to serving.

phylm
03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Should work. The water removes the sour taste of the whey. If you have to use unpasteurized milk after the Schumer hits, it works fine. You would want to let it sit and skim the cream off the top. I used to have to run the milk through the separator to save the cream for butter, and we used the skim milk for cottage cheese.