PDA

View Full Version : Homemade flour tortilla's

Looking Forward
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Do any of you have a good recipe? I've googled and found a recipe, tried it twice, but it was awful!! DH want's to make the whole wheat kind, but any tried and true recipe will do. Thanks!

libertygranny
04-21-2011, 04:39 PM
here's a recipe I've used for over 30 yrs, got it from a friend who's mom is from Mexico and this is her recipe:

2 1/2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/4 c oil

miss till crumbly, I use my hands.

slowly add 1/2 to 1 c warm water, again I mix with my hands to feel the consisitency and that the dough is not too wet or dry.

divide into 12 small balls, roll out each ball thin, cook on hot skillet turning over when bubbles start to form. place on plate between a folded towel to keep warm. I use a cast iron griddle, to me it makes a difference in taste.

good luck!

Noahs ARK
04-21-2011, 04:50 PM
My recipe is similar to LG's, but recently I've been buying the mixes from Prepared Pantry when they're on sale. 2+ year shelf-life.

I use a Vitantonio electric tortilla maker and love it!

http://www.squidoo.com/electric-tortilla-maker

Looking Forward
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Thank You, I'll try it out tomorrow! I do have a cast iron griddle, but I would like to get a cast iron griddle that is specifically made for tortilla's. My mother in law has one (well we think that is what it is) so I'll try this recipe at her house.

That electric tortilla maker reminds me of the waffle makers in motels. :vork: But at 1000 watts, it sucks too much power for me right now. :nosmile:

Thanks again!

Gingersnap
04-21-2011, 07:20 PM
A good friend of mine makes excellent flour tortillas, the way to make them taste wonderful? Lard and using a cast iron fry pan. In this, I've decided ignorance is bliss at a good Mexican restaurant.

kts532
04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I looked last night for a tortilla press and Bed Bath & Beyond has castiron ones for $19.99. It does not cook it but I have read that if you are making them all the time they are worth there weight in gold. I am going to get one soon and will let you know.

Noahs ARK
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Those cast iron presses are great, especially if making corn tortillas. The electric press I have only works with the flour tortillas. But I can use it (not plugged in) to press the corn tortilla and then cook it in my cast iron skillet.