PDA

View Full Version : Good mail order fruit trees needed

Wasatch Rebel
05-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I need to know a good place to order a red haven peach tree online. Any suggestions?

prairiemom
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I am a big advocate of buying trees from a local nursery. Catalogs do not always have the varieties that grow best in your region. And they typically will take 2-3 yrs longer to reach maturity. I bought an apple tree from a catalog and the next year found the same variety in a local nursery., so bought and planted a second one. There local tree was $10 more expensive. Even so, it started off bigger and began producing 2 yrs earlier than the catalog tree and it has always been bigger--after 13 years the catalog tree has never caught up to the nursery tree.

Earthling
05-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I strongly advise against the Red Haven. It is a early peach which is why I planted it but I have rarely had a worse tasting peach. We finally pulled it out.

signseeker
05-10-2011, 08:06 AM
What's interesting.... in my Master Gardener class, we talked about nurseries and stuff. Not too long ago (60s-70s) MOST the trees sold were fruit trees. Now, it's more like 5% or LESS. Can you believe that?

Good luck to everyone planting more fruit trees! :thumbsup:

jackmormon
05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
What's interesting.... in my Master Gardener class, we talked about nurseries and stuff. Not too long ago (60s-70s) MOST the trees sold were fruit trees. Now, it's more like 5% or LESS. Can you believe that?

Good luck to everyone planting more fruit trees! :thumbsup:

I've noticed this, if you are going to use space in your yard for a tree, why not plant one that produces something useful? Seems like nobody plants fruit trees anymore, of the 10 or so houses surrounding me, I'm the only one who has fruit trees.

Ligure
05-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I've noticed this, if you are going to use space in your yard for a tree, why not plant one that produces something useful? Seems like nobody plants fruit trees anymore, of the 10 or so houses surrounding me, I'm the only one who has fruit trees.

I totally agree. I am morphing my yard into edible/sustainable landscaping as time goes on.

I have successfully purchased bare root trees from:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/
http://www.onegreenworld.com/

I have purchased bare root trees locally and potted trees locally.

Overall, the quality in mail order and locally is about the same. Generally bare root trees tend to take longer to mature, but I have had a mail order bare root apple that produced in one year. Generally the potted trees are faster to mature (and that is measured from planting assuming the same age of the tree to begin with). However I have had a potted one take a few years to produce. It really depends on the age of the tree with you buy it. I have found that generally bare root is cheaper than potted and local bare root is cheaper than mail order.

As for your production results, a lot depends on your care of the tree and the age at planting.

One note from a lesson learned: Do not plant a pitted fruit where a pitted fruit tree has died. The next one will die as well only sooner.

Ligure

signseeker
05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I've noticed this, if you are going to use space in your yard for a tree, why not plant one that produces something useful?

I feel the same way about couches. Why even buy a couch that won't potentially open to a bed?:l0 (3):

Julie
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Most of what I have in my yard is edible. I just planted 2 bare root pear and 2 bare root almond trees. I have lots of raspberry and grape plants too. My neighbors have commented that they do not have one thing to eat in their yard. One of them has a little garden area going now and I've noticed the other has put in a tomato plant. It will be interesting to hear to comments of those coming to the reception of what they think of my simple yard.

Wasatch Rebel
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I strongly advise against the Red Haven. It is a early peach which is why I planted it but I have rarely had a worse tasting peach. We finally pulled it out.

Hmm. I've heard several other people say they really like Red Haven peaches. What variety is your favorite?

Wasatch Rebel
05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I am a big advocate of buying trees from a local nursery. Catalogs do not always have the varieties that grow best in your region. And they typically will take 2-3 yrs longer to reach maturity. I bought an apple tree from a catalog and the next year found the same variety in a local nursery., so bought and planted a second one. There local tree was $10 more expensive. Even so, it started off bigger and began producing 2 yrs earlier than the catalog tree and it has always been bigger--after 13 years the catalog tree has never caught up to the nursery tree.

That's good advice, though the variety I was looking for is one of the recommended varieties for our area. That and I went to a local nursery and after seeing the tree I wanted for $79.99, decided I'd rather get it substantially cheaper than that--which is why I'm looking for a highly reputable nursery that I can mail order it from.

Ligure
05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
That's good advice, though the variety I was looking for is one of the recommended varieties for our area. That and I went to a local nursery and after seeing the tree I wanted for $79.99, decided I'd rather get it substantially cheaper than that--which is why I'm looking for a highly reputable nursery that I can mail order it from.

Wow, that is expensive. The most I have seen for a potted nursery tree is $30-$50. If you wait until the end of the season you can usually get these half off because they need to move their stock.

For comparison purposes, you can order a bare root tree for around $22 and I just got two local bare root trees (Brooks plum and Jonagold Apple) for $8 each at a school fundraiser which a nursery/farm supported.

Ligure

phylm
05-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Stark Bros. Nurseries is a very reputable nursery in Missouri.--
P. O. Box 1800 Louisiana, Missourri 63353, or www.starkbros.com (http://www.starkbros.com) , or 1-800-325-4180. They guarantee their products, and we have had very good luck with them. I've ordered from a number of catalogs over the years, with varied results, but don't have to worry about Stark, although their prices are somewhat higher than some others.

Good luck! Our Red Haven will be bearing next year, so hope we're not disappointed with it.

Justme
05-10-2011, 09:20 PM
This is a nursery that I have ordered from:

http://www.vanwell.net/

They have very good stock which has been well suited to my area in Idaho. It is usually better and cheaper to order in the fall for spring planting but I think they still have the variety that you want. They are also very helpful with any questions over the phone.

Noahs ARK
05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Stark Bros. Nurseries is a very reputable nursery in Missouri.--
P. O. Box 1800 Louisiana, Missourri 63353, or www.starkbros.com (http://www.starkbros.com) , or 1-800-325-4180. They guarantee their products, and we have had very good luck with them. I've ordered from a number of catalogs over the years, with varied results, but don't have to worry about Stark, although their prices are somewhat higher than some others.

Good luck! Our Red Haven will be bearing next year, so hope we're not disappointed with it.

I order from them, too. I like that you can get your fruit trees pruned before shipment.

My peach, plum, sweet & sour cherry trees from them are 6 years old now and have been bearing fruit for the past 3 years. Delicious! My apricot trees died, but that wasn't their fault - we had a cold snap their first year. I replaced them and they're doing fine.

I got my blueberry bushes & grapes from them, too. Great producers.

Pear trees still haven't produced...what's up with that? :skep:

Earthling
05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Hmm. I've heard several other people say they really like Red Haven peaches. What variety is your favorite?

The old standby Elberta or Early Elberta rarely disappoints. I'll ask my friend who grows peaches commercially in peach city Brigham City, UT what he recommends.