PDA

View Full Version : BYU-I is on the ball

LoudmouthMormon
04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Possible Pandemic Preparedness Web Page (http://www.byui.edu/safety/Pandemic_Web_Page.htm) at BYU-Idaho. Good for those kids. A lot of good info here.

And this video (http://streaming.byui.edu/safetyoffice/flu.wmv) is the best "bird flu 101" introduction I've ever seen (even though it's as cheesy as the 1950's nuclear war films).

http://streaming.byui.edu/safetyoffice/flu.wmv

I have a few surgical grade masks in my food storage because of this threat - how 'bout you?

LM

thermocouple
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I personally have not bothered dedicating any financial resources toward pandemic protection, simply because the normal masks and gloves are simply insufficient, and may actually lend a false sense of security. If you were to engage contaminated individuals in a manner that would require gloves and masks, the truth is that you should actually be wearing a bio suit, and you should further have the means to adequately decontaminate yourself before re-entering your home, where your family will be. I dont have anywhere near the means to procure everything I would need to venture out safely, and so spending the money on high-end masks etc just didnt make much sense. I do however have gloves, simply so that if I had to venture outside (not among people) I would minimize the risk that I would become infected by a contaminated object by touching it with my skin. But I simply will not be getting anywhere near people in the event of a pandemic.

NRA
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I agree with thermocouple. Isn't the priesthood really the only real defense?

Abinadi
04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
AMEN!

Abinadi

level3Navigator
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree with thermocouple. Isn't the priesthood really the only real defense?

Well, yes, but... I do note that at times in our church's history there have been times when the priesthood did not solve the problem of sickness.

I would hate to stand before God after having died in some horrible manner from a perfectly preventable disease, say, cholera. I can picture him saying, "Hey, stupid, I gave you chlorine, didn't I? And that Immodium ID to stop the dehydration from the diarrhea was something I inspired some scientists to come up with. Why didn't you take advantage of those modern day blessings?"

The pandemic is not just a theory (like tent cities :wink5:). If you look at scripture, we are told the four horsemen of the apocalypse represent the things we will go through before the coming of the Lord. One of those horsemen is identified as Plague. Plague is just another way of saying Pandemic. So you are storing food to be prepared for Famine, and I'll bet a number of you are storing guns and bullets in case of War. So why not store the medicine and other such items you need to ride out a pandemic?

Or maybe you plan on using the priesthood to turn the rocks into bread? Wahoo, no need to store food! :a0 (3):

Not everyone will be able to store up what they need to live through the year(s) of plague, but I certainly am going to try! And while I can, I am packing my head as full of modern medical knowledge as I can so I can tend to myself and family as needed. And, yes, I am also using my priesthood as often as I can so that my faith can be called upon when needed.

But good heavens, folks! Cover all the bases, because it is the base you failed to cover that will kill you!

NRA
04-17-2008, 12:53 PM
level3Navigator, I think you read WAY more into my remark than was meant. I guess it was just assumed (especially on this board) that one is to do everything that is in his power to do. But no one can to EVERYTHING that is going to be needed. Therefore the priesthood IS the only answer. And yes, I try and store everything you mentioned but that wasn't the point. You missed it bad. And with your sarcastic view of the power of the priesthood, I wonder if your faith (or lack thereof) is going to fail you when you need it most? That post sounded like you should rely on the arm of flesh first and then when that won't/can't work, then turn to God. Good luck with that plan.

thermocouple
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
L3N, like NRA I think you may be misinterpreting my position on this. I have oodles of preparations for an extended self quarantine. I personally have no doubts that this will happen some time in the future, if for no other reason than history shows that we are actually overdue for a good global pandemic. I just have absolutely no plans to gear myself up for trips through the neighborhood under such circumstances. The idea that gloves and special $10 disposable masks are going to keep us safe from infection is utterly ludicrus to me. Anyone coming into contact with the infected would need serious decontamination provisions and serious protective clothing, not gloves and a mask.

sunsinger
04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
level3Navigator, I think you read WAY more into my remark than was meant. I guess it was just assumed (especially on this board) that one is to do everything that is in his power to do. But no one can to EVERYTHING that is going to be needed. Therefore the priesthood IS the only answer. And yes, I try and store everything you mentioned but that wasn't the point. You missed it bad. And with your sarcastic view of the power of the priesthood, I wonder if your faith (or lack thereof) is going to fail you when you need it most? That post sounded like you should rely on the arm of flesh first and then when that won't/can't work, then turn to God. Good luck with that plan.

L3N was just trying to give wise advice. I think having those supplies are important if it is possible for you to obtain them. We do not know what will happen or who we will come in contact with in an unavoidable way. The priesthood may be the only thing that saves us, but it is a lot easier to have faith when you know that you have prepared every needful thing. Gloves and masks might become very valuable for other illnesses besides the bad pandemic.

Very good thoughts L3N. Maybe too much was read into the "sarcasm".

mirkwood
04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Self quarintine and the priesthood will be my weapons against pandemics.

bokbadok
04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
People often disagree about the best way to go about things. No need to poke at each other because of it.

Are we really sure that the four horsemen predict events immediately before the coming of Christ - I've heard other interpretations that assign each horseman to an opened seal, or era of the earth. An awful lot of war, pestilence, famine, and death has happened since John penned Revelation... I'm just sayin'.

But assuming the former interpretation, I figure that if I'm lucky, I'll survive the wars, famine, pestilence, and overall crappy conditions and be here to greet the Lord when he arrives. If I'm really lucky, I'll die early on from one of the above causes, and miss most of the really bad times, and come down with him. Either way - I win. :D

For myself, I figure if I'm lucky I'll live through the famines,