PDA

View Full Version : New Tomato Plant from broken branch

Julie
07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I had a branch break off one of my tomato plants (wind has been horrible). I was going to through it away and my neighbor kid told me to put it in the ground it would start another plant. Well, I did that and I was going to pull it up and throw it away and low and behold there are new green leaves on the branch. WOW!

signseeker
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I got this long gangly plant from a lady and buried most of the stem when I planted it. There are like 3 more plants coming up where the stem was in the ground! I've never seen that before. It's a Giant Belgium type. Tomatoes are so cool.

By the way, my volunteer tomato plants have caught up and they all have flowers on them. The ones I planted and babied, etc. maybe have 10% flowers so far. But the ones where I planted seeds on purpose never grew. Go figure.

phylm
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Isn't that exciting, Julie! My husband's tomatoes tower above his head, and he was worrying that they were getting "old." I suggested that he start a few from healthy branches and they are coming along beautifully. he has decided that he'll do that one more time in 6 weeks, and then start some in pots even later to put in his new greenhouse for the winter.

phylm
07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Hubby happily announced today that his new plants are now flowering nicely. (Since the parent indeterminate plants are producing generously, I'm silently predicting that he'll stll be picking from them when these new ones start bearing.)

By the way, I'm getting the largest red sweet peppers ever this year, and they are loading the 3 plants I started.

Dolcezza
07-23-2011, 07:17 AM
You lucky! I tried it with my tomatoes and the broken off branches died off in the soil. Sgrumf. :l0 (44):

phylm
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
You lucky! I tried it with my tomatoes and the broken off branches died off in the soil. Sgrumf. :l0 (44):

You might try putting the cuttings in water for a few days before planting them. If not, you have to keep the soil moist for a few days. Good luck!

North_Star
07-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Rooting tomato suckers

http://youtu.be/qxjP9ZvJ1b8

Dolcezza
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Great! I am trying again. My tomato plants this year are huge and strong.
Thanks!
Dolcezza

NRA
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I saw this thread and thought "yeah right!". But I accidentally broke off a branch and thought, what the heck, I'll put it in a glass of water and see if anything happens. It was already broken so I'm not out anything. It's been in the water for a few days now. I looked at it this morning and couldn't believe what I saw. It was starting to grow roots! Haven't planted it yet but it looks promising now. I would have never believed it. Still learning new stuff...

phylm
08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I saw this thread and thought "yeah right!". But I accidentally broke off a branch and thought, what the heck, I'll put it in a glass of water and see if anything happens. It was already broken so I'm not out anything. It's been in the water for a few days now. I looked at it this morning and couldn't believe what I saw. It was starting to grow roots! Haven't planted it yet but it looks promising now. I would have never believed it. Still learning new stuff...

Yep, I'm proof positive that you really can teach an old dog new tricks.

Noticed today that those plucked branches that we planted a few weeks ago are now hip high, and putting out tomatoes. And I was right...the indeterminate tomatoes that these plants were picked from are now 7 feet high and still bearing like crazy. It's okay, we still have a lot of empty canning jars. :yummie:

Speaking of canning...our small local grocery market celebrated their 50th anniversary Saturday, and, although we were too late for the 39 cent a lb. chicken legs and thighs (they sold 55,000 pounds in their several small stores in 4 hours), we grabbed a bunch of $1.71 lb. ground beef, and canned 28 pints (lbs) of that today. We have a couple of local markets that have the chicken on sale for less than 50 cents quite often, so we'll wait for the next sale to boost our canned chicken.

Dolcezza
08-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Ah!:a0 (13): I am so envious. I tried with the water system, too, and all my broken branches died off in 4 days or so.
Now I have some Stevia plants that need cutting and reproducing, I have the branches in water but sure enough they will die.
There is something not right in the way I am doing it, or.....!?!

Dolcezza

NRA
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Ah!:a0 (13): I am so envious. I tried with the water system, too, and all my broken branches died off in 4 days or so.
Now I have some Stevia plants that need cutting and reproducing, I have the branches in water but sure enough they will die.
There is something not right in the way I am doing it, or.....!?!

Dolcezza
And you are drinking your water? :willy_nilly:

Dolcezza
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Naaaaaaaah!
It's my rotten English, you know that!!!!!!!!!!:frown2::wink5:

Julie
08-16-2011, 02:35 PM
There is a root stimulator that you can put in the water and it will help the roots to start. You should be able to find it at a local nursery.

Dolcezza
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Aaaaaah! what does it do - tickles the root? LOL

I think you mean a hormone, right?

Dolcezza