PDA

View Full Version : Edible Groundcovers...

Noahs ARK
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
From link:

"I have found that there are a couple reasons that one might like to plant a ground covering that is edible. The first is that you have a small yard or garden plot and want to increase the amount of produce that you grow.

The second, and my reason, is that you are allergic to common grasses and wish to grow something beautiful that you are not allergic to. What ever your reason, we are going to discuss what plants you may use for a ground covering that are both edible and beautiful."

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/08/01/beautiful-and-edible-ground-covers/

I get e-mails from Off The Grid every day - great info!

Ligure
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't consider those a lawn ground cover or a valid replacement for grass. I was looking for a lawn ground cover. I have found (by accident that heal-all is a good lawn ground cover. Others include:

chamomile (German or Roman)
St John's wart
Yarrow (just keep it mowed and don't use if you are allergic to ragweed)
Uva Ursi (kinda a little woody and about 6" high)

Ligure

Noahs ARK
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I think those groundcovers are meant more for landscape beds vs lawns.

We tried growing cranberries in our beds, but they died out during their 2nd year.

waif69
08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
LOL, I read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about tarps that you could eat.

sunsinger
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
LOL, I read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about tarps that you could eat.

Check out Harbor Freight. They might have some peppermint ones. The peppermint covers up the plastic taste.

waif69
08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Check out Harbor Freight. They might have some peppermint ones. The peppermint covers up the plastic taste.

Mmmmm, peppermint.:302:

Dolcezza
08-06-2011, 02:49 PM
well, yarrow tea is supposed to be good to fight flu...:cool (2):

Ligure
08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
I can't believe that I almost forgot clover. Clover is a great ground cover and is very edible. Linda Runyon claims that a 3'x3' patch of clover will feed a person all year.

Ligure

Toni
08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
well, yarrow tea is supposed to be good to fight flu...:cool (2):

If a person needs to sweat to break a fever, yarrow is excellent. Drink hot/very warm while sitting in a tub of water as hot as you can get it. Works for me every time.

Dolcezza
08-07-2011, 01:35 AM
yepp. And red clover is a famous anti cancer herb. So glad I studied herbalism this year!
Dolcezza