PDA

View Full Version : Ordered some more heritage seeds today

phylm
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Hubby wants to get fall garden planting going this week, so I called in an order to Pinetree Seeds to fill out what he needs, and ordered quite a list of seeds that I want to add to ones I have in the freezer. All that is left in the spring garden is swiss chard, three 80 foot peanut rows, and the tomatoes and pepper plants on the fence line. I can't believe that he has planted more potatoes! He says, "Well, we can always take them down to church." Yup. And a lot of other produce.

Still have to order nut trees, muscadine grapes, and strawberries, and go up to a local nursery to get some more fruit trees and blueberry bushes. We're pleased with the fruit trees that we put in this year...the peaches and apples are 7 feet high. Have 2 Ginkho Biloba trees and mulberries started. We're trying to make sure that any shrubs we plant are useful, not just attractive.

Picked a couple of gallons of fox grapes tonight that we found growing wild on our place. They are amazingly sweet, so we'll pick a lot more for jelly and juice.

Love the idea that we can have root vegetables, greens and brassicas all winter here.

phylm
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Finished planting our garden on August 31. Sweet corn is about knee high. Peas are up 5 inches, but are struggling in the heat. We're going to mulch them to see if that helps. Nemotodes may be affecting them, even though hubby treated for them. But we're really happy to see 2 long rows of carrots and beets coming along. Our spring crop of them was a bust---late start because of husband's surgery. He tried planting a couple of short rows of carrots in June inside the corn rows, and they did great, nearly ready to pull. So, guess carrots and beets will be relegated to the fall garden from now on.

I enlarged my swiss chard row, and plan to can as much of that as possible. Still have to transplant the cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower, and plant some kale and collards.

Then all that is left to do is cross our fingers and hope that the first frost holds off until December!

phylm
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Had our first meal of autumn sweet corn tonight!

Earthling
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Phylm - that is so neat. I am jealous. What a great place you live!