PDA

View Full Version : Is there hope?

prairiemom
08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
This is my apple tree about 10 days ago:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/P8150021.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/P8150022.jpg

Yellowing and spotted leaves. The county extension agent said it was frogeye leaf spot, potentially fatal, caused by excess moisture. We've had a very rainy spring and summer, so it's no surprise. The treatment is to spray it with liquid copper.

The instructions on the liquid copper were a little vague. It said 1/2-2 oz per 1 gal water. Well, since this looked pretty serious, I did the maximum dose. Here's what it looks like today:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/P8310001-1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/P8310002.jpg

Maybe I used too strong a solution? Or is this an improvement? Maybe it's going into early dormancy? All the leaves are supple now (no dry or cracking edges) and except for the color look very healthy. At least there's no more frogeye mold, right?

We're praying that this is a cure and that the little tree will come back next year better than before. We planted it last year to replace the 2 trees that died from the 2009 flooding. It's mate died this spring and we really didn't want to lose this one as well.

thomasusa
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I am no tree expert, but I though you wanted to clear away the grass from the trunk at least as far as the length of the limbs.
This is so the roots will not compete with the grass for water.

Also, the melting point for copper is about 1984 degrees Fahrenheit.
It would need to at least that hot to be a liquid.
How did you apply the copper? :d0 (29):

Right now your are probably thinking you should ask a tree expert and not an engineer.
Good idea. :wink (2):

Justme
08-31-2011, 05:49 PM
I have read that copper can discolor plants.

The technician who sprays my trees will not use copper as it is toxic to humans but I think it is safe if applied properly and the person applying it uses proper protection.

Here is an entry from the Univ. of Georgia:

Copper is toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and humans. Label
directions and harvest intervals should be followed carefully.
Copper is a heavy metal and must be used in a manner that
minimizes accumulation in the soil

Coppers have the potential to burn the foliage and flowers of
many plants. To avoid this problem, do not spray prior to or
during the flowering period, or during prolonged cold, wet
weather. Refer to individual product label for plants which may
be treated.

Lime added to copper sulfate increases the effectiveness of the
copper. Phytotoxicity (burning of foliage and flowers) can occur
on many plants including the young, tender leaves of peach, plum,
rose and apple. Some sensitive plants require diluting the product
to one half strength (depending on the product used – see label) to
avoid phytotoxicity. Should not be used during cool,...(wet seasons)

Toni
08-31-2011, 08:34 PM
But if it killed the disease, the roots might still be good, right?

phylm
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm betting it is going to make it.

constable01
08-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Just curious, was the tree started in a climate similar to the one you planted it in? If the nursery gets there trees from a climate different than yours, it may have "climate shock"...and yes i'm serious!! Our local Wal Mart brought in plants from South Carolina within two weeks all of their in stock and sold inventory died in the Pennsylvania climate. The same will actually make plants weaken and catch diseases too.

My mother has a degree in Horticulture and she explained to me what happened.

Guessing that is an apple or pear tree which are actually more vine than tree anyway, as long as there is anything alive of that plant even a root it will resprout and start growing again even if the original trunk is dead.

phylm
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Could be, but if the tree is grafted to a root stock, it will be worthless.

Toni
09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Could it be alive above the root stock? How high do root stocks go, anyway?

cHeroKee
09-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Exactly how did you plant the tree? Did you stick the roots straight down in a hole?

prairiemom
09-03-2011, 12:13 AM
You guys are great. First, we do keep the grass back from the tree the first year, after that it's on its own. We get plenty of water, so we don't worry about weeds hindering growth.

Second, the tree was bought from a local nursery (I am a proponent of buying local) and it is a variety from this area--Connel Red, a sport of the Fireside apple, discovered in MN.

Third, we bought the apple with a root ball and dug a "$50 hole for a $10 tree." We are very generous with the holes we dig for our trees.

Yes, I'd heard about copper discoloring plants, so I'm hoping that's all this is as the leaves look healthy otherwise. No sign of the disease, so I'm thinking (hoping) that's good.

Thanks for the input. We really want our trees to do well, esp since we lost our other two 15yr old Connel Reds to the flood. They are a wonderful apple.

cHeroKee
09-03-2011, 09:26 AM
You guys are great. First, we do keep the grass back from the tree the first year, after that it's on its own. We get plenty of water, so we don't worry about weeds hindering growth.

Second, the tree was bought from a local nursery (I am a proponent of buying local) and it is a variety from this area--Connel Red, a sport of the Fireside apple, discovered in MN.

Third, we bought the apple with a root ball and dug a "$50 hole for a $10 tree." We are very generous with the holes we dig for our trees.

Yes, I'd heard about copper discoloring plants, so I'm hoping that's all this is as the leaves look healthy otherwise. No sign of the disease, so I'm thinking (hoping) that's good.

Thanks for the input. We really want our trees to do well, esp since we lost our other two 15yr old Connel Reds to the flood. They are a wonderful apple.You can't stick the root ball into the hole. For fruit tress you need to spread out the roots, allowing the tap root to go down in the hole the deepest. I think not spreading out the roots is what killed your tree.

prairiemom
09-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm not so sure. There was no overgrowth of roots in the dirt ball, they weren't tangled or constricted and we made the hole plenty big for the roots to emerge from the soil. We followed planting instructions to the letter.