PDA

View Full Version : Oil of Oregano for sinus infection?

Justme
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I was sure I had seen a post on here concerning using Oil of Oregano for a sinus infection but after searching several threads and posts I can't find it.

I have also searched the internet looking for instructions on how to use it.

I have a bottle of Wild Mediterranean Oregano - 100% put -75% minimum Carvitol - steam distilled from Oregano World but no directions on how to use it.

Can anyone tell me how to use it and how often and for how long for a sinus infection?

constable01
10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Just use a MILD solution on purified water and boric acid(works for "Pink eye" and ear infections too!) oh geez the thought of running around for days with the pungent odor of oregano in my nose...........:arf:

jennvan40
10-12-2011, 01:22 AM
I also use colloidal silver in a netti pot for sinus infections. I have never used Oil of Oregano for sinus infections but I would bet that you wouldn't want to use very much (like a very small drop in netti pot) because it is really powerful stuff. I use my sinus wash/netti pot 3 times a day or more when I have a raging sinus infection. A friend of mine works in ENT and she tells her patients to use 1tsp of apple cider vinegar in a full netti pot/sinus wash.

Ligure
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
You will want to dilute the oregano oil with olive oil at a ratio of 1:10 for a normal usage and 1:3 ratio for high intensity usage. Using it without dilution is not recommended except with skill and in exceptional situations (like death threatening unless you don't use it). Example dilution of 1:10 means 1 part (i.e. 1 drop or 1 tsp) oregano oil combined with 10 parts (i.e. 10 drops or 10 tsp) of olive oil. I usually place this in a 1oz or 2oz bottle with a reducer to be able to dose with drops later. You could use a dropper bottle, but oregano oil is so strong that it causes the rubber to corrode in about a year or two and will likely need to be replaced.

Normal dosing is under the tongue and is 1 - 10 drops of the diluted oil. Usually I do 3 - 5 drops 2x-3x per day for a cold. You can also apply topically (like under your nose). Be careful about sensitive area like under the eyes and other sensitive area of the body as that can temporarily irritate. A good book on the subject is the Cure is in the Cupboard. The author talks about all sorts of doses and uses for oregano oil and oregano herb. The equivalent formula for his Regular Oreganol is the 1:10 ratio. The extra strength is the 1:3.

Additionally I would try slicing onion, grating fresh horseradish and chewing a bit to open the sinuses. Then with the sinuses open use a snuff of garlic powder, goldenseal powder, and cayenne powder to get the sinuses to drain better. I recognize that this is not preferred by some, but it works for those with the determination to do it.

I hope this helps.

Ligure

Justme
10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Thank you for your detailed advice. That is what I needed and couldn't find.

I am looking forward to getting the Cure in the Cupboard book.