PDA

View Full Version : sandwich bread???

brghtii
01-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I have a great bread recipe for sandwich bread which is dense and easily cut without falling apart but it uses butter and milk. Does anyone have one that does not use those? I want one that doesn't fall apart when you make sandwiches. Most of mine is fluffy and isn't good for sandwiches.

constable01
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
You do realize you can use Powdered butter and milk? Have you tried reconstituted butter and milk with your recipe?

brghtii
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't want to break open my powered butter for this though. I'm hoping to find one that doesn't have to have either of them. I love my fluffy bread but for now with 5 kids in school I need a cheap alternative to sandwich bread. The recipe I have calls for 1/2 cup of butter per loaf. It is yummy!

iggy
01-09-2012, 04:39 AM
How long are you kneading your bread? In my experience not kneading long enough makes for crumbling bread after it gets cold.

If you want to use your powdered butter, there is really no need to reconstitute it for bread making. Add it in with your flour and increase your liquids. Same for powdered milk.

My Mom baked bread weekly since she was 14 years old. The amounts of bread increased as her family size increased. Her recipe called for whole milk, scalded with the shortening/lard, sugar & salt. Then left to cool while the flour was measured out & sifted & divided in half, and the yeast proofed. The milk was then mixed with cold water, the proofed yeast added. Add flour from 1/2 that is set aside- beating till it is well blended and frothy. I add the flour one to two cups at a time. (Note, when I make bread I am using 11 cups of flour) Then add the second half of the set aside flour two cups at a time, saving two cups to knead into the dough.

Note, the dough will not blend well- too thick. At this point, change out your mixing beater for the dough hook. Let the machine knead the bread- adding more flour, leave about one cup of flour to work your bread into loaves. I knead in the mixer for 15 minutes.

Oh, another thing my Mom always did, was let the bread rest for a full 10 minutes after mixing/blending the first half of the flour in and before the kneading began. I also let the bread rise twice before forming into loaves.

During this rest period, I wash up the sauce pan, measuring cups/spoons, etc. that are no longer needed.

My Bosch mixer can only do Four 1.5lb loaves at a time. When I make bread I do 12 loaves. I always clean up between batches. I don't start a second batch until the first is in loaves and are rising. That way, when the loaves are ready for the oven, the oven is empty.

iggy
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
This is my Mother's White Bread recipe:
Two Loaves:
6 C Four 1 pkg. yeast
1 C Milk 2 T. sugar
1 1/4 C Water 2 tsp. salt
1 T Shortening

Four Loaves:
11 3/4 C Flour 2 pkgs. yeast
2 C Milk 1/4 C sugar
2 1/4 C Water 4 tsp. salt
2 T shortening

Six Loaves:
17 3/4 C Flour 3 pkgs yeast
3 C Milk 1/4 C + 2T sugar
3 1/4 C water 2 T. salt
3 T shortening

Put milk, shortening, sugar and salt into a saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil. Stir often to prevent scorching. As soon as it boils take off fire. When partly cooled add cold water.

Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm (100-110 degrees) water per packet of yeast. Add a healthy pinch of sugar and mix well. Allow to proof, when cup is full, add to cooled milk mixture.

Put half of flour in bowl large enough to hold full batch of bread. Pour liquid into flour, mixing with spoon at same time. (As Mom got older, arthritis set in and she went from spoon to electric mixer- thus you turn the machine on low, and continuously add the liquid. Increasing the speed of the mixer as you add more of the flour - don't over burden your mixer.) Beat until the dough is smooth and bubbly.

Now add half of the remaining flour, beat in. Add remaining flour and mix in. (no matter how much I beat in the last half, the dough rode up the beaters and slowed the mixer down, causing the motor to stress, and it never really did mix in thoroughly.)

If you are going to knead by hand, turn the dough out on a floured surface. If the mixer is going to knead - leave in bowl and replace the beaters to the dough hook. Let the bread rest for 10 minutes.

Knead the bread for 10-15 minutes. Place dough in lightly greased bowl (I use my stainless steel bowl- my sister used a heavy glass bowl), turning the dough to coat all of it. Cover with a kitchen towel (I spray olive oil on parchment paper, cover the dough with that, then cover the paper with a cotton kitchen towel), and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and let rise again.

When double in size again, turn out onto floured surface, cut off dough size chunks (I weigh these chunks- 1.5 lbs for each loaf - fits in my pans perfectly), work out all of the air bubbles, then form into loaves, place in greased loaf pans. Cover with parchment paper/towel, let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Tip out on rack, lightly butter top crust and let cool.

To know if the dough is doubled, stick you floured finger into it, up to the first knuckle. If the indention stays put, it has risen enough. To test a loaf- do so right at the top of the pan. If your loaf has bubbles on the top, you did not get all of the air bubbles out- remove from pan, work out the bubbles and reform loaf. Let rise again.

To work out the bubbles, flatten the dough with your hands. Sometimes you have to pinch a bubble to release the air. When you work with the dough, lightly flour the surface. Too much flour and your loaf will end up heavy.

To test a loaf for doneness, tip out onto the rack,sit upright, then thump the top with your forefinger and listen/feel for a thud. The loaf should be a nice brown all over. If there is no thud, return the loaf to the pan, return to the oven and cook in 5 min intervals until it does thud.

The oven I have now, cooks bread in 50 minutes. I also use metal loaf pans. When I had glass pans they baked in 40 minutes.

Cooled bread, put into plastic bags (I buy bags that are just for bread & the freezer), then put into the freezer. Once the loaves are frozen, I then put into FoodSaver bags and vacuum seal them, then put back into the freezer.

12 loaves will last my Husband and myself two to three weeks. It doesn't take that long to thaw, and once thawed tastes and feels like it was just made the day before.

Once every three months or so, I make 24 loaves- 12 for us, and 12 to share with my neighbors and a few choice friends at Church. I also make multi grain bread. Grinding lentils, old dry beans, rice, and any other grains that I find in the cupboard or at the store to try in bread. When I make multi grain, I add more Vital Gluten, and I decrease the sugar and use molasses.

constable01
01-09-2012, 07:54 AM
"And the bread rises!!!!"- King of Aregaard in Lord of the rings before the climactic battle.

Karen Ricks Wife
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Here's several recipes I use, all are very yummy. Like wonder bread almost ;)

This one is called: Transition Bread because you can alter the amounts of white and wheat bread as you become more accustomed to the wheat then you only use wheat flour.

2 C hot water, add:
1/4 C. oil (I used coconut oil, melted and I add oil first so that the next few ingredients won't stick to the measuring cup)
1/4 C. molasses
1/4 C. honey
1/8 C. raw sugar (any sugar will do really)

Add:

3/4 C powdered milk
1/4 C. flax seeds ground or whole your preference
1 tsp salt (I use REAL salt)
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 1/2 C wheat flour
2 1/2 C white flour (these amounts can be altered...total flour 5 cups)
1/2 C. gluten flour

Makes two loaves. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

Here's my favorite recipe:

"Bread Machine Whole Wheat Bread" (but you don't have to use a bread machine)

1 1/2 C + 2 Tbsp Hot water
2 Tbsp oil (I use melted coconut oil)
2 tsp salt
1/3 C. packed brown sugar (I use yellow D)
3 1/2 C. wheat flour
1 C. gluten flour
3 Tbsp powdered milk
2 tsp yeast

Makes one big loaf. Bake 375 for 30-40 minutes

I've become famous (in small circles) for this bread:

Hearty Brown Bread

2 1/2 C hot water
1/2 molasses
1 tsp sea salt (I use Real salt)
1 C. gluten flour
1 C. Oat flour
1/4 barley flour
1/4 flax seeds (ground or whole you decide)
3-4 1/2 C. wheat flour (start with 3 at first and add as needed)

Two loaves. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.

Any of these recipes make perfect rolls too. Enjoy!

waif69
01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Even though I am eating a Dr recommended low-carb diet, I still want to make good homemade bread. I look forward to trying these recipies.

CurtisG
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I prefer plain old store bought white bread for pb&j sandwiches. My wife gives me a lecture every time:yummie:
She used the bread machine pretty regularly for awhile but its gathered dust lately.
While on the bread subject....when we had a house on the market i would keep some of those frozen dough loafs from Walmart and when a showing or open house was scheduled i would thaw, let rise, and then bake bread.
Baking bread smell.....

Karen Ricks Wife
01-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I prefer plain old store bought white bread for pb&j sandwiches. My wife gives me a lecture every time:yummie:
She used the bread machine pretty regularly for awhile but its gathered dust lately.
While on the bread subject....when we had a house on the market i would keep some of those frozen dough loafs from Walmart and when a showing or open house was scheduled i would thaw, let rise, and then bake bread.
Baking bread smell.....

Quick bake refrigerator cookies or a pie works wonders as well. :)

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I love all this information.

I used to bake bread all the time. I used freshly ground wheat ( soft white) and we ate homemade butter on it.
OH MY GOSH! My family would stand at the oven waiting for it to be done.

One think I cannot resist is bread right out of the oven. I have stopped making it for awhile. I told my family if I kept eating bread this way, I would be on Geraldo as a 1,000 lb woman who can't get out of bed! haha!
It is an art. By not practicing I'm afraid I've lost my touch. Thanks for the tips!

JuneGem
01-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I was having a problem with my bread not holding together well enough. Turns out I was letting it rise too much. Oh, yes, it was gorgeous, but the resulting consistency was barely sandwich worthy. The recipe I use has no butter and uses 1/4 C of powdered milk per loaf.

brghtii
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I was having a problem with my bread not holding together well enough. Turns out I was letting it rise too much. Oh, yes, it was gorgeous, but the resulting consistency was barely sandwich worthy. The recipe I use has no butter and uses 1/4 C of powdered milk per loaf.

Ah come on June...everyone else has shared their recipe. Oh wait I haven't mine. I have been making white lately. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe

I have noticed though that I have been using too much flour when I make cinnamon rolls so my guess is that I am when I make bread too. When it says for it not to be sticky I always thought it shouldn't be sticky even when I pinched a piece off. Not just to touch. My cinnamon rolls have been amazing since that little epiphany. :) I haven't made bread in a while. I need to break out my grinder and put whole wheat flour in it. It was on the counter at my last house. Now it has a home under the counter and I don't want to drag it out.

Looking Forward
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Once every three months or so, I make 24 loaves- 12 for us, and 12 to share with my neighbors and a few choice friends at Church. I also make multi grain bread. Grinding lentils, old dry beans, rice, and any other grains that I find in the cupboard or at the store to try in bread. When I make multi grain, I add more Vital Gluten, and I decrease the sugar and use molasses.

I tried, using white bean flour as part of the regular flour in my bread recipe. Tasted fine, but didn't rise too well. My house is usually cold, and trying to get it to rise has been a problem. I have a question about Vital Gluten though: how essential is it when using other flours besides wheat? When I make my wheat bread (mixture of fresh ground red an white wheat) I use a couple of tablespoons of dough enhancer.

Originally Posted by Karen Ricks Wife: gluten flour Is similar to vital gluten?

My daughter and I have had issues with gluten in the past, so that is why I would really rather not put more gluten in than what is already in the wheat.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to try putting xanthum gum in my bread, and see if that will take place of the gluten. :l0 (20):

Karen Ricks Wife
02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
...It is an art. By not practicing I'm afraid I've lost my touch. Thanks for the tips!

Oh my goodness!

I ended up working full time for about two years...being the main "breadwinner" for our family. I was so tired when I got home I didn't make bread for that entire two years....I thought for sure I had lost it too.

Now, currently unemployed...I set out to see if I could still make my bread...and I DID IT! on the first try. (cheering, applause and a victory dance ensued) The girl still has it! I am sure you do to. ;)

Karen Ricks Wife
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Gluten Issue:

Perhaps using more yeast or other natural process to develop the rise. And a warmed oven is great for rising in a warm place. I have a gas oven so I can heat the oven to 150 degrees, shut it off and rise my bread in there. I place a nearly soaking wet hot towel over my bread to keep it from drying out. Although you could put a baking pan of hot water at the bottom of the oven to add that moisture bread likes while its rising. :)

I have been learning about Kefir and bread making...and sour dough starter. Just a thought to others to check out.

I have never heard of dough enhance until I moved to Utah. I've been using gluten (vital gluten) for years and years. Using it the first time way back when I was making Hawaiian bread...now that I am choosing a healthier lifestyle (baking whole grain breads) I played around and experimented...sometimes things didn't turn out so well...don't be afraid to try. Play around. Just be sure to write down what you're doing so when those "happy accidents" happen you can repeat them. ;)

CurtisG
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh, yes, it was gorgeous, but the resulting consistency was barely sandwich worthy.
Next time that happens, call me! I'll be there with butter and honey...nom nom nom:wink (4):

Karen Ricks Wife
02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Next time that happens, call me! I'll be there with butter and honey...nom nom nom:wink (4):

Yeah. The honey will hold all that yummy bread together...if necessary...being held onto the knife for ease in eating. ;)