PDA

View Full Version : Wood cook stove recipes?

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
We recently installed one of those beautiful, old, wood cook stoves in our home. We built a room just for it.

I have been told the reason the pioneers made so many biscuits and pies is because they can take the heat better in a wood cook stove oven

Anybody have some experience or recipes they would share with me? :smile5:

Earthling
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
We put one each this last fall. I am using my cast iron pans and dutch ovens along with the recipes I've made in them. My son made a home made pizza that was awesome - just normal recipes.

I was glad when we checked the temperature gauge and found it to be accurate - get an oven thermometer for this if you don't have one.

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
We put one each this last fall. I am using my cast iron pans and dutch ovens along with the recipes I've made in them. My son made a home made pizza that was awesome - just normal recipes.

I was glad when we checked the temperature gauge and found it to be accurate - get an oven thermometer for this if you don't have one.

I guess that was a problem. It is hard to regulate the temperature.
GOOD FOR YOU! That is so awesome that you are actually using it. I have all the cast iron pots and pans, just need to get started! :l0 (40):

Earthling
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
My son is excited to cook his sourdough breads in it too. I think it is going to be a fun family hobby to use it. . . while playing our Victrola.

Toni
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
I did a google search and came up with these:

Frosty-Morning Pancakes

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat or unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of milk or fruit juice
3 tablespoons of honey
2 eggs
1/4 cup of cooking oil
1 apple, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Blend the milk or juice, honey, eggs, and oil in a separate container. Stir the wet and dry mixtures together, and add the chopped apple and the sunflower seeds.

Now, set a heavy skillet or griddle on a medium-hot stove top. When a drop of water will dance on the heated surface and then evaporate quickly, you're ready to start cooking. Coat the bottom of the pan or griddle with cooking oil, and pour in a large spoonful of your mix. Fry each cake until its edges are slightly dry and its top bubbles, then flip it over to cook the other side. (For best results, use a large spatula and turn the cakes only once.)

Serve your pancakes topped with butter and maple syrup . . . or make your own sweet sauce by adding hot water to a jar of homemade preserves until the concoction reaches a syrup-like consistency.
Lunchtime Hot Rice Salad

2 cups of water
3 tablespoons of tamari
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup of chopped tomato
Parmesan cheese

Bring the water to a boil. Add the tamari, bay leaf, 2 tablespoons of butter, and the rice. Let the seasoned mix boil vigorously for 5 minutes before moving it to a cooler place on the stove—or placing it on a trivet—to cook slowly for approximately 40 minutes. Just before the rice is done, sauté the chopped onion and pepper in a tablespoon of butter over medium heat until they become limp. Add the cooked vegetables and the chopped raw tomato to the rice . . . sprinkle individual portions with Parmesan cheese to suit your taste . . . and serve the dish with a bread of your choice.

From http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/cooking-with-wood.aspx

See also http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/old_time_recipes_and_wood_stoves.htm

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
I did a google search and came up with these:

Frosty-Morning Pancakes

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat or unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of milk or fruit juice
3 tablespoons of honey
2 eggs
1/4 cup of cooking oil
1 apple, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Blend the milk or juice, honey, eggs, and oil in a separate container. Stir the wet and dry mixtures together, and add the chopped apple and the sunflower seeds.

Now, set a heavy skillet or griddle on a medium-hot stove top. When a drop of water will dance on the heated surface and then evaporate quickly, you're ready to start cooking. Coat the bottom of the pan or griddle with cooking oil, and pour in a large spoonful of your mix. Fry each cake until its edges are slightly dry and its top bubbles, then flip it over to cook the other side. (For best results, use a large spatula and turn the cakes only once.)

Serve your pancakes topped with butter and maple syrup . . . or make your own sweet sauce by adding hot water to a jar of homemade preserves until the concoction reaches a syrup-like consistency.
Lunchtime Hot Rice Salad

2 cups of water
3 tablespoons of tamari
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of brown rice
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup of chopped tomato
Parmesan cheese

Bring the water to a boil. Add the tamari, bay leaf, 2 tablespoons of butter, and the rice. Let the seasoned mix boil vigorously for 5 minutes before moving it to a cooler place on the stove—or placing it on a trivet—to cook slowly for approximately 40 minutes. Just before the rice is done, sauté the chopped onion and pepper in a tablespoon of butter over medium heat until they become limp. Add the cooked vegetables and the chopped raw tomato to the rice . . . sprinkle individual portions with Parmesan cheese to suit your taste . . . and serve the dish with a bread of your choice.

From http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/cooking-with-wood.aspx

See also http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/old_time_recipes_and_wood_stoves.htm

I can't wait to try these! Thank-you for taking the time to help me.
I appreciate it so much. I feel a little un-liked on here! :nonod:

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 08:00 PM
My son is excited to cook his sourdough breads in it too. I think it is going to be a fun family hobby to use it. . . while playing our Victrola.

A Victrola! What a great idea. Music while living off the grid. I remember the distinct sound from my Grandma's. She didn't use it, but we'd crank it up every now and then!
Do you have records? I think we have some.

Toni
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I can't wait to try these! Thank-you for taking the time to help me.
I appreciate it so much. I feel a little un-liked on here! :nonod:

I like you. :l0: :seeya:

I usually don't frequent the political arenas, and I noticed that you seemed to be there. I suppose politics can get a bit heated.

Earthling
01-22-2012, 11:25 PM
I like you too. You just got in the middle of a heated political debate that has been going on for a while. It is unusual for things to get heated on GLO so for me - I might read those political posts but don't participate. There are people (as you found out) with some very strong opinions on political issues.

You can use any recipes on the wood cook stove. I would just start out with more basic recipes until you develop your "skills" - recipes that can handle some temperature variation.

Julie Bulie
01-22-2012, 11:27 PM

I usually don't frequent the political arenas, and I noticed that you seemed to be there. I suppose politics can get a bit heated.

HAHA! I do get riled about the political issues. I've never been afraid to jump in. I do not have the intellect some of them have, but I think common sense is more important! :patriot:

You are smart to stay away! I will get the perverbial boot if I'm not careful! ( and don't tell them, but they say I get emotional? Its temper tantrum city in there.) :l0 (57):

Justme
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
I like you too. I read the political threads for info and opinions but don't participate and avoid them if they get heated. I like to hear good debates but not out and out conflict.

It is hard to regulate the temperature.

I grew up cooking on wood stoves every summer. One was a pretty good one but there was an adjustment period every summer when we started to use it as we tried to remember its idiosyncrasies. I also suggest a thermometer so you know what you are dealing with. Put the thermometer in different areas of the oven as different spots may be higher or lower than others. Once you get used to it you will realize it is consistent. The only way to really get used to it is experimentation as each stove is different so don't get discouraged with the first attempts.

Earthling
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
It is nice to have modern temperature gauges to put in the oven so you at least know the temp without some "old wives" method. No reason not to use an old-fashioned item more easily with modern inventions! I think you just have to get used to the stovetop. I remember an "old wives" method a long time ago about dropping water drops and if they danced, etc or some such thing then it was hot - can't remember the details. That info could be useful.

Earthling
01-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Found a good article on cooking & baking with a wood cook stove.

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/cooking-baking-with-a-wood-stove/

Julie Bulie
01-23-2012, 12:12 AM
I like you too. I read the political threads for info and opinions but don't participate and avoid them if they get heated. I like to hear good debates but not out and out conflict.

I grew up cooking on wood stoves every summer. One was a pretty good one but there was an adjustment period every summer when we started to use it as we tried to remember its idiosyncrasies. I also suggest a thermometer so you know what you are dealing with. Put the thermometer in different areas of the oven as different spots may be higher or lower than others. Once you get used to it you will realize it is consistent. The only way to really get used to it is experimentation as each stove is different so don't get discouraged with the first attempts.

I wish I had your experience, but thanks so much for sharing with me. I am making friends!! YEE HAW!
An adjustment like needing to seal so as not to smoke? Did you use wood or coal? The fire box seems so small. I have 2 wonderful daughters who are going to help me figure this thing out. ( of course my husband will too, but he doesn't cook! ) I appreciate the advice to be patient. I'm sure thats what it will take. I do have a wood stove we heat with so I am familiar with building a fire and the damper etc.
It makes me feel secure to know that I have something to cook on in a grid down situation. I want to figure it out first however. We actually built a room on that can be closed off from the house to keep heat out in the summer, But then can then help warm the house in the winter.

Thanks again!
P.S. If you see me in a political thread, approach me carefully and tell me its better to leave! :l0 (57):

Julie Bulie
01-23-2012, 12:18 AM
It is nice to have modern temperature gauges to put in the oven so you at least know the temp without some "old wives" method. No reason not to use an old-fashioned item more easily with modern inventions! I think you just have to get used to the stovetop. I remember an "old wives" method a long time ago about dropping water drops and if they danced, etc or some such thing then it was hot - can't remember the details. That info could be useful.

I'm sure I will have plenty of blisters! I have tried to gather up every needful utensil and cast iron pots, pans, bread pans, ladels with long handles. I'm sure experience will be the best teacher.
I better stock up on burn ointment! :frown5:

Modern gauges in not something I have thought of. Thanks for sharing your brains with me!
I'm starting to love this site! :party:
P.S. I appreciate the friends I am making. It makes me so happy. Just remember, friends don't let friends get in trouble in a political thread!

Julie Bulie
01-23-2012, 12:26 AM

I feel so passionate about what is happening to this country. Like I've told my other new friends, keep me out of there. You might have to taser me and drag me out! Or better yet, tase the rest and let me have my say!
( J/K) :l0 (39):

Earthling
01-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Julie - you can go to the political threads but remember you are jumping into a heated debate with mostly MEN. They don't think or argue like we do. I think many of them enjoy the fray! PrairieMom has posted there and she is awesome and knows a ton about old-fashioned skills. She is a huge supporter of Ron Paul and that thread has gotten a little heated too. Not a good place for newbies unless you have a thick skin and can give as good as you got (old phrase).

Some of those arguing have been around a while and feel comfortable being blunt with each other as they have been posting with each other a long time. Trust me - I have been on GLO since the beginning and those threads are unusual. Things are usually fairly calm here. We don't have all the moderator theatrics of the site that shall not be named either. There are a lot of great folks sharing info, thoughts, etc. here - plus a lot of fun cat & dog rivalry.

Toni
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
An adjustment like needing to seal so as not to smoke? Did you use wood or coal? The fire box seems so small.

I've not used a wood stove for cooking, but I have used them a lot for heating. I would suppose their idiosyncrasies would be different, but I've found that they are different in how much you open a damper. If you have more than one damper, which ones you open how far. Where, in the box is it easiest to start your fire (this was more in the large stove we had; smaller ones don't give a person much choice).

With a cookstove, I suppose it might be how high of a fire you need to make. Where the stove's hot and hotter spots are. etc.

Twizzles
01-24-2012, 01:08 AM
HAHA! I do get riled about the political issues. I've never been afraid to jump in. I do not have the intellect some of them have, but I think common sense is more important! :patriot:

You are smart to stay away! I will get the perverbial boot if I'm not careful! ( and don't tell them, but they say I get emotional? Its temper tantrum city in there.) :l0 (57):

YES.......Common Sense goes a very long way, along with studying the canidates. All we can do is vote what our conscience tells us. We have no control over the illegal voters, the dead voters nor the WILLY NILLY voters who only use their emotions to decide.:smash:

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
YES.......Common Sense goes a very long way, along with studying the canidates. All we can do is vote what our conscience tells us. We have no control over the illegal voters, the dead voters nor the WILLY NILLY voters who only use their emotions to decide.:smash:

I guess I am somewhat of a Willy Nilly. One of the nicer names I've been called in my lifetime! :l0 (21):

Toni
01-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Huh? I thought this was a thread on wood cook stove recipes. I was expecting a new recipe.

Later.

Justme
01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
It was a thread about recipes to begin with. But you bringing it up sent me aack through it and I see that I didn't answer the wood or coal question. I have not used coal. And that reminds me that you will discover if you haven't already that the stove is consistent but woods are not, some burn much hotter than others. We mostly only had pine, aspen, or cottonwood which are not really good, pine burns fast and is gone quickly, aspen I can't remember, and cottonwood doesn't burn very hot, I think aspen is similar. There are internet sites that will tell which wood is best if you have a choice. You can use any as long as you recognize that switching between woods will give you different results.

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
It was a thread about recipes to begin with. But you bringing it up sent me aack through it and I see that I didn't answer the wood or coal question. I have not used coal. And that reminds me that you will discover if you haven't already that the stove is consistent but woods are not, some burn much hotter than others. We mostly only had pine, aspen, or cottonwood which are not really good, pine burns fast and is gone quickly, aspen I can't remember, and cottonwood doesn't burn very hot, I think aspen is similar. There are internet sites that will tell which wood is best if you have a choice. You can use any as long as you recognize that switching between woods will give you different results.

My favorite wood for burning is Juniper. Oak is the best but too hard to get. Cedar makes alot of ash, and aspen is supposed to actually clean the chimney of soot buildup.
I am going to store charcoal. I know it burns hot but so much easier than splitting wood small enough for the cook stove.
I guess trial and error will be the best teacher.
Thanks for the reply. As you can see, I have not been cast into hell yet!:yikes: I joined the Nunnery!

http://www.fondef.com/Is%20this%20true.jpg

Justme
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I am going to store charcoal.

I hope you meant store charcoal to use for outdoor cooking since it is unsafe to use it indoors.

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
I hope you meant store charcoal to use for outdoor cooking since it is unsafe to use it indoors.

If its vented properly, why is it un-safe?

NoGreaterLove
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
If its vented properly, why is it un-safe?
Carbon Monoxide poisoning. It will kill you. Do not take chances with it indoors

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning. It will kill you. Do not take chances with it indoors

I'm confused. Is it just CHARCOAL? Is coal alright to use? Doesn't the wood in my stove turn to charcoal? Are these stupid questions? :001_ssuprised:

Toni
01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm confused. Is it just CHARCOAL? Is coal alright to use? Doesn't the wood in my stove turn to charcoal? Are these stupid questions? :001_ssuprised:

If it's in a wood stove, it's already vented to the outside via your chimney.

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
If it's in a wood stove, it's already vented to the outside via your chimney.

Thats what I'm saying...so its safe. I really don't fire up the grill, in the house, and cook! DOH! ( glad you're my friend Toni!)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9VMQmPj3FMGkOIUbKz0s6NazEkJQHg n-vcFGA2KSZxjNBF5nC

Toni
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
They were probably thinking you were going to cook it in a grill, not in your stove.

Earthling
01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
someone needs to post at least a few recipes . . . sheesh

Here is one I tasted from a friend - very yummy. Hey - aren't we supposed to make anything in our wood stoves?

Sausage Lasagna

1 Lb. hot Italian sausage 1 tsp. sugar
1 Lb. mild Italian sausage ¼ tsp. pepper
¾ c. chopped onion 8 ozs. Lasagna
2 cloves garlic minced 1 Lb. ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 T. olive or vegetable oil 2 egg yolks( I use the whole egg)
1 can (28 ozs) tomato sauce 2 T. snipped parsley
1 can (8 ozs.) tomato sauce 1 tsp. salt
1 can (6 ozs.) tomato paste ¼ tsp. pepper
2 T. snipped parsley ¾ Lb. mozzarella cheese, sliced or
1 T. dried basil leaves grated.
1 tsp. salt ½ c. grated Romano cheese

Remove casing from sausage. Cook and stir in skillet over medium heat until brown. Drain.

Cook and stir onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over high heat, until hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in sausage, tomatoes sauce, tomato paste, parsley, basil, salt, sugar and pepper. Heat to boiling: reduce heat: simmer uncovered until mixture is consistency of spaghetti sauce, about 1 hour. Cook lasagna noodles in 4 quarts boiling water to which 1 tablespoon oil and 2 teaspoons salt have been added, about 10-12 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water. Mix ricotta cheese, egg yolks, parsley, salt and pepper.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1/3 of the meat sauce into greased baking dish 13 ½ X 8 ¾ X1 ¾ inches. Layer half each of the noodles, and the ricotta cheese mixture and the mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Earthling
01-31-2012, 11:40 PM
my friend came up with this - it is very good!

Food Storage Tacos

1. Grab a large handful of dehydrated onions and plop them into a glass measuring cup. Pour at least twice as much water over them and heat them on high in the microwave for one minute, and then just let them sit until you're ready to use them.

2. Measure a healthy cup of dehydrated refried beans and put them into a cup of boiling water. Stir, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. Drain a can of chicken and put it into a frying pan. Separate the chicken, shredding it.

4. Optional ingredients include diced green chiles and corn.

5. Add plenty of Mexican blend cheese. Add some taco seasoning and the chopped onions.

6. Thinly slice some Romaine (or other) lettuce.

7. If 10 minutes has elapsed, stir the beans and add them to the mix.

8. And finally, add a lot of Costco's Mango-Peach Salsa.

9. Turn on the heat and mix up everything. When the cheese has melted and it's heated through, it's time to begin stuffing the taco shells. Heat up 4 at a time in the microwave (helps to restore their crispiness), scoop some of the mixture into the shells, spread some sour cream, and top off with lots of shredded lettuce. Sprinkling a little grated cheese on top makes it look pretty.

Note: you can also buy mango salsa in jars in the salsa aisle but it's not as good as Costco.

Julie Bulie
01-31-2012, 11:54 PM
my friend came up with this - it is very good!

Food Storage Tacos

1. Grab a large handful of dehydrated onions and plop them into a glass measuring cup. Pour at least twice as much water over them and heat them on high in the microwave for one minute, and then just let them sit until you're ready to use them.

2. Measure a healthy cup of dehydrated refried beans and put them into a cup of boiling water. Stir, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. Drain a can of chicken and put it into a frying pan. Separate the chicken, shredding it.

4. Optional ingredients include diced green chiles and corn.

5. Add plenty of Mexican blend cheese. Add some taco seasoning and the chopped onions.

6. Thinly slice some Romaine (or other) lettuce.

7. If 10 minutes has elapsed, stir the beans and add them to the mix.

8. And finally, add a lot of Costco's Mango-Peach Salsa.

9. Turn on the heat and mix up everything. When the cheese has melted and it's heated through, it's time to begin stuffing the taco shells. Heat up 4 at a time in the microwave (helps to restore their crispiness), scoop some of the mixture into the shells, spread some sour cream, and top off with lots of shredded lettuce. Sprinkling a little grated cheese on top makes it look pretty.

Note: you can also buy mango salsa in jars in the salsa aisle but it's not as good as Costco.

Earthling, you're the best! These recipes sound so good. I actually love the mango salsa. ( you can get it at Safeway, generic version). The cannery dehydrated beans are amazingly good! I recently learned to bottle chicken in the pressure cooker. Making a meal is so simple when its already cooked.
I have even canned dehydrated sour cream. My family is going to be a dead give away of people with food because we will be fatter than before!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREaNVQ2UFgt0tup6mtwPFtMD2nX4jyF 6dfh9ZBBRyCPchevnc_Kg

Earthling
01-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you Julie! But you forgot to thank the taco post - how am I supposed to get more green dots? . . . :seeya: :l0 (41):

Julie Bulie
02-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Thank you Julie! But you forgot to thank the taco post - how am I supposed to get more green dots? . . . :seeya: :l0 (41):

Oops! I will thank the taco post! Going there right now! :auto:

( some people want ALL the green dots!)

Earthling
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM
There is not a finite number of green dots. . . we can all have them. :l0 (2): I have been on this site since it was first started . . . that's how I have dots (and who knows what else! :eek6:
But I thanked both your posts so you will have more too!! yea!! :smile5:

(back to your regularly scheduled thread - just training the newbies here) :l0 (46):

Julie Bulie
02-01-2012, 12:21 AM
There is not a finite number of green dots. . . we can all have them. :l0 (2): I have been on this site since it was first started . . . that's how I have dots (and who knows what else! :eek6:
But I thanked both your posts so you will have more too!! yea!! :smile5:

(back to your regularly scheduled thread - just training the newbies here) :l0 (46):

So, your saying you can't give me some of your green dots? :001_sconfused: They are so beautiful and desireable. ( I don't want anything else you've picked up here however!) :frown2: :001_sconfused::001_sconfused::001_sconfused::001_ sconfused:

Julie Bulie
02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
A recipe for you Earthling

Itsy-Bitsy Teeny-Weeny Colored Polka- Green Dot Rotini

8 oz pasta
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup frozen green peas ( green dots)
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/4 cup currants

<TABLE id=yDirectionsList><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD>In a medium saucepan, combine broth, coconut milk, sugar and spices.</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>Bring to a boil.</TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD>Add rotini.</TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for six minutes, stirring occasionally.</TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD>Add peas, red pepper and currants.</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Simmer for 6 to 7 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed and pasta is tender.</TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD>Remove from heat and let stand for five minutes before serving.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

Earthling
02-01-2012, 11:40 PM
here is an awesome crescent roll recipe for you - you can make several days ahead - very helpful on holidays:

Crescent Rolls

1 Tbsp. yeast (dissolved in ¼ c warm water and 1 tsp sugar)
1 cup milk warmed ½ cup butter, softened
1 tsp salt ½ cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten 4-6 cups flour

Combine all ingredients except flour. Add flour one cup at a time until you have a soft dough. Let rise until double in bowl or on countertop. Punch down. Let dough rest 10 minutes. Roll flat and spread softened butter all over. Cut into long crescent shape (triangle) rolls. A pizza cutter works great for this. Roll from wide end to small end. Makes about 2-3 dozen rolls. Place on greased or buttered cookie sheet and let rise for about an hour. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes and then brush butter over the top while warm. (If to be filled, put filling on rolled out dough, roll up and let rise second time.)

Refrigerator version: roll out the rolls, place them on cookie sheets, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator for up to five days. Just take them out of the refrigerator about 3-4 hours ahead of time to get room temperature and then bake at 350 for about 13 minutes. Coat them with butter while warm.