PDA

View Full Version : Question about natural gas in my home

castle
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey, I've been looking online and can't find a definitive answer.

I've got a nice bbq in my backyard, that's hooked up to the gas line in my house. It's nice because I don't have to worry about propane tanks or anything, but in a power outage, would the natural gas still be flowing into my house to fuel my bbq?

ghostcat
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey, I've been looking online and can't find a definitive answer.

I've got a nice bbq in my backyard, that's hooked up to the gas line in my house. It's nice because I don't have to worry about propane tanks or anything, but in a power outage, would the natural gas still be flowing into my house to fuel my bbq?
It would depend on the extent of the power outage. In most power outages the gas would still flow, which is why many backup generators run on natural gas. If the power outage is extensive enough to reach the natural gas pumping stations then it would cease to flow.

Rejoice
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
We have propane tanks. They need no electricity. We have also invested in a propane refrigerator. Love it!

It sure would be nice if the natural gas kept flowing. I bet it would be handy during a power outage. Do any of your appliances run off natural gas? Hot water heater etc.?

ghostcat
03-03-2012, 11:33 PM
We have propane tanks. They need no electricity. We have also invested in a propane refrigerator. Love it!

It sure would be nice if the natural gas kept flowing. I bet it would be handy during a power outage. Do any of your appliances run off natural gas? Hot water heater etc.?
One good thing about natural gas appliances is that usually they can be easily and inexpensively be converted to run on propane. Of course this would require you to have the parts on hand beforehand.

GAMom
03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
One of my "wants" on my prep list is the propane refrigerator at Leamans, but it's over $2000. I'll really have to save up for it!

Rejoice
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
One of my "wants" on my prep list is the propane refrigerator at Leamans, but it's over $2000. I'll really have to save up for it!

We did some research and bought a brand called " Crystal Cold".
Have had no trouble. It was 2,300 If I remember correctly. And large!