PDA

View Full Version : Heritage tomato plants at Walmart!!

phylm
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Had an errand at Walmart tonight, so went out to the garden shop to look for a Roma tomato plant. No Romas, but several different heirloom tomato plants on the shelves. Don't know if "preparation fever" has hit north central Florida, but I'm glad to see them. I didn't know there was an heirloom "Beefsteak Tomato," but they had some, so I picked one up. Its indeterminate, too, no less. My husband wasn't too impressed, because, since he has learned that he can take "starts" from tomato plants, he kept a couple of plants going in his greenhouse this winter, and set out nice big producing plants a few weeks ago. He has picked 6 nice big ripe fruits so far. I don't think he is planning on starting any tomato seeds very soon!

JuneGem
04-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Do tell how your husband did his "starts!"

CurtisG
04-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I havent planted tomatoes in a few yrs.
If there is anything better that a tomato right off the vine in your own yard, i would like to hear about it! :bigear:
Oh wait, i just remembered strawberries....

thomasusa
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
...If there is anything better that a tomato right off the vine...

Corn. Take a pot of boiling water out to the garden and bend the corn stalk over into the pot.
That is the only way to get it at its best.

Earthling
04-15-2012, 04:04 PM
My tomato seedlings are happy little things . . .
We threw compost around the garden so now if DH will rototill - I might still get in some spring crops.

phylm
04-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Do tell how your husband did his "starts!"

Just like I told him to. :smilewinkgrin:

You just pick a side shoot...I like one at least a foot long, strip the leaves and branchlets off the bottom six inches, then plant it that deep. It will put out roots at each section of the stem. Keep it well watered and fertilized and it should do you proud.

(My husband came to gardening late...he always hated it while he was dairy farming. Now that he doesn't have a herd of cows to milk or a lot of cropland to tend to, he is obsessed with having the best garden around.)