PDA

View Full Version : Garden report

arbilad
04-21-2012, 06:25 PM
We rototilled our garden last week and planted some onions. This week we went back and planted some garlic. I spent a lot of time weeding. We use a community garden, and the two plots next to me weren't worked by anyone last year, and so far they haven't been worked by anyone this year. So I spent some time weeding because I don't want the weeds from there to spread to my garden, like they did last year. I filled four large yard bags with weeds from the areas around my plot, and there is a lot left to do. That'll go well in the composter that should be here next week.
In planters we have several herbs, peas, lettuce, strawberries, and some other stuff that doesn't occur to me right now. That is what we have at our house. I also drilled some holes in a bucket today. I put in some compost, we put in some spuds, I put in more compost, we put in more spuds, etc. I think that we have three or four layers like that. We may get more seed potatoes next week and put them in another bucket.
This year I planted the onions and garlic around the edge of the garden to try to keep undesirables out.
We have good weather right now, but even though there is no frost in the ten day forecast, this is Colorado, and we're absolutely not safe from a frost yet. So we've started some frost sensitive stuff inside, but no frost sensitive stuff in the garden yet. I can't start corn inside, though, so I'm hoping that the good weather holds and we can plant corn soon.
I'm thinking of planting peanuts in my earth box. Peanuts require warmth and a long growing season, but I figure that if it gets too cold at night, either now or in the fall, I can bring them inside.
What are you guys planting? How are your gardens growing?

Julie
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
My garden 2012
I started my own tomatoes and peppers this year. I planted 60 tomato plants! I gave a lot of the starts away. I guess I got carried away. haha. I started Amish Paste and they all died in a wind storm. None of the others seemed to be bothered so I will not try them again. I have Big Boys, Big Mama's, Fourth of July's. Red October's, Super Beefsteak, and I tried a rainbow heirloom mix that has Coustralee, Brandywine Pink, Golden Sunburst, Black Krim, Green Sausage and Djena Lee's Golden Girl. It will be interesting to see what does well. In my area the hybrids seem to tolerate the heat best.
I planted beets, rainbow carrots, lettuce, radishes, two types of cucumbers, two types of green beans, four different types of pepper plants (varying degrees of heat) and five types of summer squash.
Rainbow seems to be the theme this year.
I have a few almonds and pears on the trees I planted last year. My hollyhocks are doing well and the fire pit we put in last year has been a blast.

Earthling
04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
We have hauled in over 7 yards of compost into our garden this year. I am going to hire someone to rototill it that has a big tiller and can rototil deep. Because of this, I don't have in my usual spring crops yet. Sigh. But it is nice to get the soil amended well.

I also got my raspberries pruned and the yard weeded today.

arbilad
04-21-2012, 08:12 PM
We're going to stick mostly to Roma tomatoes this year because we want to make ketchup and sauces.
I just planted some radishes as well. I figure they grow quickly and they go well in salad.

arbilad
04-21-2012, 08:15 PM
My garden is already amended for this year, but I will periodically add whey when I make cheese. I have already been adding whey to the planter I keep my peas in, and they are doing well.