PDA

View Full Version : 1901 Marshal Field Treadle Sewing Machine

DMGNUT
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
OK... I never really thought I'd be posting a thread in this section... but here it is.
So... Who knows about these things?
I just bought the above mentioned sewing machine for a great price (I spend more time than I should in antique shops, so had an idea what it was worth, but bought this one from someone on one of my gun sites).
This one is in great shape and works (it also came with a bunch of assorted parts and accessories).
Even if I never get it working 100%, its a beautiful piece of antique oak furniture (but I definitely intend to get it working... ).
It needs a new belt for the treadle and needles too (and maybe some other things that I don't even know about yet... :l0 (51):).
Any treadle sewing machine gurus here?
Any words of wisdom... thoughts... advice?

PS. I bought this from the family that was the original owners (yes, it was bought by a great, great aunt in 1901), but there are only guys left now and they feel they need more guns and ammo (no surprise there).

lurker
05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Leather belts are available on ebay. Make sure you have an ample supply of bobbins.

The hand-foot-eye coordination required for this type of machine creates a fun sewing experience.

iggy
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
My Mother used a Singer Treadle machine. The youngest son's wife is in possession of it and has taught the daughter how to use it. She got a few belts, bobbins and needles from a sewing machine repair place. Might look in the phone book for any repair shops in your area. Surprisingly enough there is one in my area, and he has several treadles sitting in his shop.

The bobbins for her machine have nipples on the end. I had found some that I thought were the right kind, except they were smooth on the end. She used the incorrect bobbins as barter for a belt. Fortunately the 50 needles (assorted sizes) that I got were correct.

She likes to use the Treadle when sewing denim. It is in a beautiful oak cabinet too- weighs a ton! All of my siblings and myself have scratched our names &/initials on the cabinet too.

I have told my SIL that if the niece does not want the machine, I do. I will put it to good use. I don't want it sitting in the garage not being used.

CurtisG
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
We have one in great shape, but idont know if it actually works.
I remember my Grandmother sewing on one. When she got an electric machine we hated it because it made major interference on the TV

LoudmouthMormon
05-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Dang. If you ever get a spinning wheel I can ask my wife, but right now she prefers the kind of sewing machine that plugs in, and has a well-placed LED light, and downloads updates from the internet.

Earthling
05-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I bought a Singer treadle machine on eBay. The belt was good and I got some bobbins right at JoAnns. I was even able to download the manual off the internet. Cool! :001_cool:

We tried using a few times but it will take some practice to get proficient. At times like this I wish my mom were still around as she could show me the trick to using it. Once it gets going it seems to take off very fast!

iggy
05-18-2012, 06:20 AM
I bought a Singer treadle machine on eBay. The belt was good and I got some bobbins right at JoAnns. I was even able to download the manual off the internet. Cool! :001_cool:

We tried using a few times but it will take some practice to get proficient. At times like this I wish my mom were still around as she could show me the trick to using it. Once it gets going it seems to take off very fast!

Make pot holders out of fabric with old towels as filling, then sew all over them- like quilting. This is a great way to get used to the machine. Also, remove the thread and put in an empty bobbin then sew a paper bag. It will really dull the needle, but it also helps you to get used to the machine.

I found that by using my right foot at the front of the treadle bar for speed and my left foot at the back of the bar to act like a brake helps. Also Mom kept her right hand on the wheel to adjust the speed. I didn't like doing that, so I used my feet. There is no need to be speedy when you sew- accuracy is more important. Oh, and treadles don't sew over straight pins very well- your pins break more often as does the needles.

Rather than pin fabric together, hand baste it using contrasting thread- so you can see it and pull it out after wards.

Earthling
05-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks Iggy! Those are great tips. I will try them out. I really want to be able to use the machine when TSHTF.

ZDMZ
05-18-2012, 09:48 PM
I got my industrial sewing machine about a year ago and I am still getting used to it. But it is not like I use it every day!!!

I will have a hard time useing it if the power ever goes out because it runs on 220v.

Wonder if I could put a treadle on it????

iggy
05-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks Iggy! Those are great tips. I will try them out. I really want to be able to use the machine when TSHTF.

You are welcome. Mom made all of our clothes- 7 kids (2 boys 5 girls). She mostly took too big of clothes and made outfits for us little kids. She taught us to sew using the tricks I posted. Also she took the needle out along with the thread and bobbin and let us "sew" to our hearts content. That way we got used to the speed, etc.

One thing to remember is you need to keep the machine clean. Oil it often and blow away the fabric dust often. Didn't have canned air back then, so we reversed the hose on the 'ol Kirby. She also had the neatest set of tools just for the machine. Screw drivers, brushes, cutest little oil can. After she cleaned & oiled the machine, she would sew some on several layers of old terry cloth towels. Till there was no more oil spotting the cloth.
Remember to dust/vacuum under the machine, under the treadle and under where the belt is. Fabric dust gets in everywhere!

The only thing she did not make were jeans. She patched them, put in new zippers, took them apart and made skirts for us- I was in 1st grade and absolutely loved my jean skirt. Came to my shins and was WARM WARM WARM! She made me a light blue chambray shirt, cowboy style and then Grandma embroidered flowers across the yoke. Wore that outfit till it burst at the seams!

Justme
05-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Wow, brought back memories. I am "only" 63 but I learned to sew on a Singer treadle (some will appreciate that my first project was a dress with self made bias cut trim around all the curves, it's a wonder that I ever sewed again but getting a blue ribbon on it encouraged me).

I used that treadle exclusively until my mom bought her Bernina when I was 12 or so. I just inherited the Bernina. My sister got the Singer but another is waiting for me in her garage. This post reminds me to arrange to get that machine, hope it is as good as the one I learned on.

I really don't like to sew, it makes me nervous, but I do want to be able to do so in emergency situations.

Iggy's suggestions are all good. Once you get used to the rhythm of a particular machine it is really not hard to use a treadle. I would use something larger than a potholder at first though so you don't have to start and stop or curve and turn too much as you get in rhythm. Then move on to smaller things to perfect smooth starting and stopping.

iggy
05-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow, brought back memories. I am "only" 63 but I learned to sew on a Singer treadle (some will appreciate that my first project was a dress with self made bias cut trim around all the curves, it's a wonder that I ever sewed again but getting a blue ribbon on it encouraged me).
<<snip>>
I would use something larger than a potholder at first though so you don't have to start and stop or curve and turn too much as you get in rhythm. Then move on to smaller things to perfect smooth starting and stopping.

I am 60 :a0 (5): Made a beach cover up using two bath towels, and then the next project was an A-line skirt, lined!. Made it out of a butter yellow wool blend. Grandma taught me how to do the hem stitch by hand, AND to hand sew the button hole. You are right. We made bath mats- old towels sewn together. Need to stitch them all over - and trim off any threads first so they don't get caught up in the fabric feed. If we didn't have any old towels, Mom sent us to the thrift stores. Couldn't spend more than $0.02 per towel. You can not buy bath mats that absorb water off your feet like those we made! Mom's treadle didn't do reverse- you had to turn the fabric around. It was easier to leave enough thread to tie knots in it.

Justme
05-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I was going to mention the reverse thing, we are so used to securing the threads by reversing, that is a biggy! Very discouraging to finish a first project on the machine and then have it unravel. So, be sure to leave enough thread, as Iggy said, to tie the knot. You have to pull on one side's thread to pull the other side's thread through so both are on the same side to tie a knot. I would recommend a square knot or two.

CurtisG
05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
We have one in great shape, but idont know if it actually works.

My wife says it works just fine. I told her that when the power is out due to a storm, she can kill time sewing me something nice by candlelight. My black eye should clear up soon:heart:

Julie
05-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I got my treadle out a while ago and all my girls gathered around to see if I had the endurance to keep the treadle going.:001_07: At least I was the amusement for the day. lol. I bought a Necchi head for mine that had been converted to be used with a treadle. It does all the fancy stitches. You can actually convert your regular sewing machine to a treadle with a special wheel for it but then you would need a cabinet and treadle to go with it.