PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Food...staying warm...

SNIX
05-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Personally my 72 hour kit has developed into a backpack that I am trying to make so that I never have to return home. 72 hours may turn into a lot more given the severity of the disaster. It is wise to have some way to heat food...or yourself in a survival situation....whether you are putting it into your 72 hour kit or surviving at home...

Sun ovens are great...but only work in the sun....not too portable generally.
Coleman stoves are great...but what about if there is no fuel? They are also heavy.
Those backpacker stoves that run on propane are worthless when you run out of propane.
Dutch ovens are danged heavy and take a lot of fuel to run.
An outside barbeque is not portable on foot for great distances...and is very inefficient.

I have a happened across a technology that gives me incredible peace of mind knowing that I will never run out of fuel. The fuel is all around us. When I get the fuel...I need very little to cook my food. It is endorsed by Steven Harris who is an energy and preparedness expert whom I closely follow.

I just did a bulk order of 40 someodd of these ovens. They have breakpoints for larger orders. The LE is small enough and light enough to consider for backpacking. It puts off a TON of heat with just a few twigs and some dry grass. A solar panel can run the tiny fan...or it can charge Nicad AA's to run it.

www.woodgas-stove.com (http://www.woodgas-stove.com)

This is a great one that is purely mechanical...and very easily portable.

http://www.trailstove.com/

bokbadok
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't know how I missed this when it was posted.

This is a fascinating little unit.

UncleSam
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

waif69
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
That is very similar to a charcoal starter that a bunch of us made years (and years) ago.

We used a used coffee can and extruded steel (like the mesh that you see at high security areas over windows) to hold the charcoal above the tinder. I don't remember making all the holes that this device has, but it has been a long time.