PDA

View Full Version : Drought

loquaciousmomma
07-25-2012, 05:39 PM
The balance has finally been tipped here in Iowa and they are using the dreaded 'd' word. Our county is asking us to conserve water as the processing plant is working overtime due to high usage from people watering their yards and gardens. In the beginning of the article they referred to the activities they want us to avoid as "watering flowers and filling up swimming pools", but later in the same article they said "watering gardens".

I have been watering my vegetable garden quite regularly and my plants are doing well. But, when I go any length of time without watering them, they start to droop, and I know they will die in a matter of time. Right now, we are not being required to conserve, only requested. Of course, if the request isn't honored enough, and as the drought continues, it will become mandatory, I'm sure. So, what is the best way to save my garden in these conditions? Is it possible to take measures to help the plants to hold onto the water they do get? Will mulch help at this point? Is there something I can dig into the soil that will hold the moisture like whatever it is they add to potting soil?

I was saddened when I read the article because I have put so much time and effort into my garden this year, 3-4 hours most days, trying to keep the weeds down and pruning, etc. This is the first year I really took it seriously and it hurts to have to let it go.

The NWS thinks the drought will last until fall.

Earthling
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't let it die . . . no way.
I recommend putting your lawn clippings or mulch down the rows and around the plants to hold the moisture in. This also keeps down the weeds. I like to put a layer of newspaper (which decomposes) and then the grass or mulch down on top. Also water in the evening so the water doesn't evaporate so fast. These things should really help. Drip irrigation is also helpful but it is a lot more investment.

loquaciousmomma
07-26-2012, 06:54 AM
I will definitely put down mulch of some kind. We haven't mowed our lawn in a month or more. But weeds are starting to get tall enough in places that a once over with the mower may reap enough green stuff to use as mulch in part of the garden. Would that be suitable as a mulch, though, or would it plant more weed seeds?

The only place the grass is growing is immediately around the garden where the water hits. It looks a lot like California in August around here, lots of brown. :(

It seems that we are in a cycle similar to the thirties. Floods, then droughts that hurt an already weak economy. I do hope we learn our lesson soon, so we can turn this corner and move on!

Aldon
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Highland and Fixitguy had a good set up where they layed black plastic down with only slit for the plants to grow up from and the water seemed to be less susceptable to evaporation.

loquaciousmomma
07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Aldon. It might be a silly question, but would they make slits for the water to get to the roots as well? Or did they have an irrigation system?

thomasusa
07-26-2012, 10:01 AM
It might be time to make a modification to your house plumbing to tap off your gray water.

Looking Forward
07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks, Aldon. It might be a silly question, but would they make slits for the water to get to the roots as well? Or did they have an irrigation system?

I'm not Aldon :smilewinkgrin: but... we have black plastic too, but its called weed barrier. We bought it from the conservation office here. The barrier keeps weeds from coming through, but allows the water to soak in. We had to make cross slits or the plants would rip apart with the wind. (You need to cut with a flame torch, and not with scissors or it will fray really bad. The flame melts the barrier keeping it from frying.) The only weeds we get now are right were the slits are, but they are easy to take out. I've noticed that the plants that are not in the barrier dry out faster, and are not growing as well. It's well worth the cost to buy some.

CurtisG
07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
I hate to suggest civil disobedience, but i would continue to water a food source even if that means doing it at night when no one is looking.
Our bathtubs, washing machine and kitchen sink all go to a gray water system, but thats to lessen the stress on our septic.
It might be difficult to setup a gray system in existing construction. I seem to remember that most laundry detergents are not recommended for watering edible plants?
You could use one of those small transfer pumps to get bathwater into an outside barrel.

Aldon
07-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I believe they may have run a drip irrigation to each of the plants. I just cant recall all the details with clarity.

I would do drip irrigation with rerouted gray water from sink and shower. The phosphates from the soaps would be beneficial as well.

NoGreaterLove
07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
All of this reminds me of this:

Charles D. Evans Vision of The Future
Digitized by Glen W. Chapman Dec. 2000
( Taken from the Book Visions of The Latter Days, , 6th printing 1998, Pioneer Press,
3332Ft Union Blvd. Salt Lake cy Utah, 84121 )

"Factions now sprang up as if by magic. Capital had entrenched itself against labor, and throughout the land labor was organized in opposition to capital. The voice of the wise sought to tranquilize their powerful factors in vain. Excited multitudes ran wildly about, strikes increased, lawlessness sought a place in the regular government. At this juncture, I saw floating in air a banner whereupon was written, 'Bankruptcy, famine, floods, cyclones, blood, and plagues.' Mad with rage, men and women rushed upon each other. Blood flowed down the streets of cities like water. Thousands of bodies lay unentombed in the streets. Men and women fell dead from terror inspired by fear. This was but the precursor of the bloody work of the morrow. Ml around lay the mournfulness of a past in ruins. Monuments erected to perpetuate the names of the noble and brave men, were ruthlessly destroyed by combustibles."

"Charles D. Evans was Patriarch to the Church in Springville, Utah and was a school teacher by profession. In 1893 his "vision" was published in Volume 15 of the Contributor magazine- later known as the Improvement Era."

http://chapmanresearch.org/PDF/The%20Prophetic%20Vision%20of%20Charles%20D%20Evan s.pdf

Famines usually come from war or drought.

prairiemom
07-27-2012, 01:04 AM
We do have limited watering, but new trees, new lawns and vegetable gardens are exempt from the restrictions. Tues there was a huge thunderstorm pass over us. But it was very hit and miss who got rain. Fargo--25 mi away from us--got 2.5" rain, and we got only got 0.3".

May I suggest these handy-dandy watering spikes: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Craft-Plant-Watering-Spikes/dp/B0037OEK0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343372966&sr=8-1&keywords=watering+spike

I started three marshmallow plants this year. They need VERY moist conditions especially the first year. Normally that isn't much of a problem, but this year it is. So I put a watering spike at each plant and fill it 4-5X/wk. Not only are the marshmallows growing huge, but this week they started blooming:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/P7250006.jpg

iggy
07-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Looks like you have leaf miners - look at the leaf at the bottom right of the pic.

prairiemom
07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah, the funny thing is you really can't see it too well in natural daylight. It was only after I saw it in the pictures that I looked closer and could see the damage.

iggy
07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I had read about using liter pop bottles to water plants, but had never done it. For house plants I have done wicking- using cotton poly rope and digging a hole in the pot and burying the rope then placing the other end into a bucket of water. I put all of my houseplants in the bath room - and put the "wicks" into the toilet tank - when that gets low, it automatically refills. We were gone for a month and the plants did great! I also put a shop light in there on a timer so they got some "daylight" too.

Flowers and leafy indoor plants are more forgiving when they have gone without water and then get water.

Vegetables die. There is no coming back. I would continue to water them with the liter bottles and then use the spray on the garden hose to wash them down every now and then. I would also keep an eye out for bugs.

Collecting the bath water in liter bottles would be one way of recycling water.

Here on the central Oregon coast, we have a Burn Ban. ALL open fires are banned. So the campers that are filling our state parks can not have camp fires and if that is how they cook their meals, well, they have to find alternative means to cook. Traveling to the next town to grocery shop yesterday, I saw law enforcement telling the road side firewood hawkers to pack up. The burn ban extends to beach fires too!

Each morning there is enough dew to make the dirt on the cars and windshields gooey- I have replaced the purchased windshield washer soap with cider vinegar- soooo cheap and Boy Howdy does it cut through the goo and the accumulated salt from the ocean!

I haven't done my container garden this season. Have next to no energy to even keep the house tidy - have none in reserves to tend a wee small garden.

We have a new YW & YM Presidency- was going to ask them if they would come over and weed my plot and clean my gutters. I have weeds growing out of the gutters! I only have three plants I want left alone outside - the Yarrow, the blue one and the glads. All the rest are weeds.

I am 100% Green, Tree Hugging Pacific Nor'westener. BUT the blackberry that is growing around and under my handicap ramp and up the front steps is now going to get doused with chemical brush killer. Tripped on the ramp when the vines caught my pant leg, and my VT tripped UP the steps when the thorny vine caught her tennis shoe and pant leg.