PDA

View Full Version : Peach Tree Spraying

Earthling
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Every year I get confused as to all the spraying my peach trees need. I finally got it compiled between the local nursery newsletter and input from my friend who owns a peach orchard. I hope it is helpful.

Peach Tree Spraying

Before bud open, spray with dormant Oil and any insecticide you have. This is the most important spray of the year. Then in May, spray the tree with Malathion.
Spray your peach, nectarine, apricot, almond, and plum trees for the peach tree borer starting about the Fourth of July. Spray them every three to four weeks through September. You only need to spray the lower trunk and soil to control this borer, you do not need to spray the leaves or fruit. Use Bonide Borer Spray. Another pest of the peach and walnut trees that you need to spray this time of year is called the Walnut Husk Fly. This little fly lays eggs just inside the fruit's skin. A little worm hatches and eats the flesh making the fruit less desirable. Spray your trees with Malathion, or Eight about August 1 and again August 15 to control this pest.

prairiemom
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
But malathion will also kill all the good insects, like bees needed for pollination.

Have you tried lacewings and praying mantids? Or mechanical prevention--sticky tape on the tree, close to soil level, raking up old fruit, digging up the soil where the larva are?
http://www.organicgardeningpractices.com/peachtreeborer.php