PDA

View Full Version : The end of the summer garden

phylm
10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Had the next to the last of meal of this fall's sweet corn today. Waiting for the broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and greens to mature. Hubby setting out more tomato shoots, and waiting to pick the new green beans. This southern climate is hard to take!! :l0 (49):

loquaciousmomma
10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Blah,blah,blah...

I spent four hours picking tomatoes, ripe or not and pulling up tomato plants, and picking all the other plants on Friday. We had a freeze warning. (Which didn't exactly happen, grrr...)

prairiemom
10-07-2012, 10:36 PM
:l0 (44):

We had two hard freezes this week, so everything is in. This week: Tomatoes canned, 23 qts of Swiss chard and beet greens and 12 qt Brussel sprouts all in the freezer, Swiss chard stems, zucchini, eggplant and herbs all dried. Onions, radishes, beets, cabbage and squash in the cellar. All I have left to do is make apple cider, make rose hip jam and process the collards.

I love/hate this time of year.

arbilad
10-07-2012, 11:02 PM
We had a better harvest than last year, but still not great. Still, it's nice to be able to raise your own food. We've been eating home grown tomatoes, carrots, etc.

phylm
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Blah,blah,blah...

I spent four hours picking tomatoes, ripe or not and pulling up tomato plants, and picking all the other plants on Friday. We had a freeze warning. (Which didn't exactly happen, grrr...)

Brings back memories. Always had plenty of food canned and frozen for winter, but still hated the first frost about the 15th of September. It was especially galling when, after the garden was frozen brown, Indian Summer would kick in with temps in the high 70s.

We've had to learn to garden all over again down here, but it is nice to be able to pick swiss chard, broccoli, etc. all winter.

Earthling
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I came home from vacation to a frozen garden . . . I am still in mourning. When I left just over a week ago the temps only went down to the 50's at night.

prairiemom
10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
. . . I am still in mourning.

I know how you feel. Autumn is such a bittersweet time--abundance, color, cool-warmth but we lose our babies that we've nurturing along all year.