PDA

View Full Version : Supercharge soap

faif2d
10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I had read somewhere that TSP (trisodium Phosphate) was available in the paint section of the big box stores. It is used to clean surfaces prior to painting. I now have a small package of this and want to add a small amount to both laundry soap and dishwasher soap so they will work like they used to before it was removed from these products. They recommend 1/4 cup to 2 gallons of hot water for household cleaning so very little would be required for an addition to either of these commercial or homemade soaps. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a starting point for additions? If no one has tried this I think I will treat it like reloading and start small and then move up over time.

LEVE
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
When I mix my homemade laundry soap I mix in TSP. It works for me. I haven't had good success in the dishwasher- yet. I'll try your mix.

faif2d
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Leve, how much do you add to your soap? I have read that TSP makes a lot of foam and that would not be a good thing in a dishwasher. I was going to add something less than 1/10 cup to 2 gal of my homemade laundry soap but have no idea what to add to dishwasher soap.

iggy
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
TSP doesn't foam up. I have used it with Pine Sol to clean male cat spray and skunk spray off of paneled walls, and aluminum house siding. I also use it inside mixed with household bleach to clean and dramatically slow down the mold growth in the shower.

Bleach kills the mold, tsp retards its growth. Never had it foam up on my. JUST wear gloves when you use it, as it removes the oil from your skin and will burn your skin. Been there, hurt like the dickens, wear gloves now when I clean with it.

I wouldn't use it in the dishwasher- there really is no need if you are already using a cleaner made specifically for that. When I moved into an apartment that had a washing machine, someone had left a load of clothes in the machine + all the water.

I donned gloves, pulled the sodden, moldy mess out of the machine and into a trash can - then emptied the machine via the spin cycle. A repair man told me to fill the machine with only hot water, toss in two old throw rugs and 1 cup of cascade. Cascade cleaned the mold out. Just to be on the safe side, I washed the two throw rugs with 1/4 the recommended amount of laundry detergent. No residual cascade or mold. Commercial dish washing detergent is pretty powerful stuff- strong enough for grease removal.

althor
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
I use TSP in the dishwasher with good results. After phosphates were removed from the detergent available at the store we started having problems with food sticking. Once I started adding TSP the dishes started coming out cleaner than before. I use about 1/2 tsp split between the two detergent reservoirs.

faif2d
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Althor, Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I will try it the next load and report back to the board.

LEVE
10-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Leve, how much do you add to your soap?I add about a cup to the well known borax - washing soda - bar soap mix. It does help break up grease and brighten at the same time.

About a year ago I was attending a town council meeting and the town maintenance worker was complaining that since the Phosphate ban went into effect most of the surrounding small towns were having problems with their water/sewage treatment. They all had problems with the systems not being able to break down fat solids. It was causing havoc. So much for better living through more government regulations.

iggy
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I add about a cup to the well known borax - washing soda - bar soap mix. It does help break up grease and brighten at the same time.

About a year ago I was attending a town council meeting and the town maintenance worker was complaining that since the Phosphate ban went into effect most of the surrounding small towns were having problems with their water/sewage treatment. They all had problems with the systems not being able to break down fat solids. It was causing havoc. So much for better living through more government regulations.

One is not to pour fats down the drain. Learned that back in 1965-1970 in High School Home Economics! About the only animal fat that won't do a lot of harm is cooked chicken fat- as it doesn't solidify.

Don't put cooked rice down the drain either. I have a rice cooker, and I soaked the pan after I emptied it. All of that starch down the drain caused the worst plugged drain. After a $200.00+ plumber bill, I now scrape the pan after it has dried & toss in the compost. Cooked rice starch dried on a pan is just as easy to get out.

faif2d
10-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I have done 2 dishwasher loads using 1/4 teaspoon in both soap compartments. (total 1/2 teaspoon) They did seem to be slightly cleaner but I noticed a difference in the smell when you opened the door during the cycle. I think it smelled more like I remember as a boy. I have not had any left on soil during those 2 loads. I may try 1/2 teaspoon full, each compartment, for the next few loads. I will also add some to my next batch of washing soap, I will start with 1/4 cup and go up from there. Thanks for all your help!

JenJen
10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
I add about a cup to the well known borax - washing soda - bar soap mix. It does help break up grease and brighten at the same time.

Why was it banned?

loquaciousmomma
10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
It has been linked with causing the algae blooms in the gulf.

faif2d
04-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I added some to the next load of laundry soap and the mix jelled! I had to add about an extra gallon of water. I read somewhere later that it was called a gelling solution. I used the mix poured into old soap jugs like a tooth paste tube and squeezed it into the soap dispenser. My wife did not like that and she has taken to using a spoon. I guess that I will not use that again in the laundry soap. In the dishwashing loads I have noticed that the glasses really shine.

Toni
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Commercial dish washing detergent is pretty powerful stuff- strong enough for grease removal.

Really? My daughter loves to use oil on her hair or in the bathtub. She has gotten several towels hopelessly greasy. Because they have ended up in the laundry with other towels and washcloths, those have gotten somewhat greasy as well. I have been trying to find something that will remove the grease.

What kind of detergent? The kind that goes in a dishwasher? Any particular brand? How much do you use? Do you add regular laundry soap at all? (These are all specifically "greasy laundry" questions.)

loquaciousmomma
05-06-2013, 06:35 AM
The dishwashing soap that you use to hand wash dishes is the best for removing grease. Dawn seems to be the best, but all must have degreasers to get the job done. Good luck!

LEVE
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
One is not to pour fats down the drain. Learned that back in 1965-1970 in High School Home Economics! About the only animal fat that won't do a lot of harm is cooked chicken fat- as it doesn't solidify.No, I'm not pouring fats down the drain. But there are plenty of fats going down the drain from pans, spoons, forks, knives and plates.

As an aside, at Town Council meeting last night I was talking to the Town maintenance guy again. He said that the Town puts phosphate in the drinking water to help degrade the fats in the sewer lagoons.