PDA

View Full Version : An Alarming Message from Bumblebees

iggy
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
An Alarming Message from Bumblebees

By now you've probably heard about colony collapse disorder, the recent phenomenon in which an unprecedented number of honeybees have died. Increasingly, colony collapse disorder, or CCD, is linked to chemical pesticides. The unfortunate situation threatens not only honeybees, but also human food production and food prices. After all, bees are responsible for pollinating most of the foods we eat today.

Entire article: http://www.rodale.com/bumble-bees-pesticides?cm_mmc=TheDailyFixNL-_-1086366-_-10262012-_-an_alarm_message_from_bumble_bees

Earthling
10-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I was just told an interesting story about a major honey producer in No. Utah who went to a conference . . . he came home and bought $30,000 worth of food storage as what he heard upset him so much.

Noahs ARK
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I was just told an interesting story about a major honey producer in No. Utah who went to a conference . . . he came home and bought $30,000 worth of food storage as what he heard upset him so much.

Did he share any specifics with anyone? That's some serious food storage.

NoGreaterLove
10-26-2012, 11:58 PM
This has been going on for almost a decade or more.

arbilad
10-27-2012, 10:16 AM
If he bought MREs that's barely a years supply for a family.

Earthling
10-27-2012, 11:26 PM
I heard the story second hand so I don't have the details of what he bought or what triggered it. I know we have been hearing about colony collapse for a while but something serious was said to get someone to spend $30K. If I get more details, I will let you know. I know exactly who it is but want to protect their privacy - they are prominent and respected business people.

Outerspace
01-27-2013, 02:21 AM
I went to a mason bee seminar, that seemed pretty good.

DMGNUT
08-24-2016, 03:44 PM
I heard the story second hand so I don't have the details of what he bought or what triggered it. I know we have been hearing about colony collapse for a while but something serious was said to get someone to spend $30K. If I get more details, I will let you know. I know exactly who it is but want to protect their privacy - they are prominent and respected business people.

I realize this post is almost 4 years old, but I continue to hear bits and pieces about bees and the problems they are having.
So far, from an outsiders perspective, there doesn't appear to be any real fall out from this, in regards to crops and/or prices (obviously prices continue to go up, but they've been doing so for some time... if there's a connection or not... I can't tell).
But was wondering if you have any further info on this Earthling?