PDA

View Full Version : No deep doctrine, just a simple question...

CurtisG
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't live in Utah and there are not many Mormons around here, but every member of the LDS Church that I have known in my 49 years on this earth has been a wonderful person that I am glad to have known.....what's up with that?

cHeroKee
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
When one receives spiritual truths through the Holy Ghost (personal companionship), life is so much sweeter.

constable01
11-30-2012, 08:13 PM
We believe everyone who currently and have existed in the past are LITERALLY brothers and sisters and children of heavenly father as such we don't believe in mistreating others unless of course they offer you no alternative but take out your wrath on them such as them attacking you or your family.

JayE
11-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't live in Utah and there are not many Mormons around here, but every member of the LDS Church that I have known in my 49 years on this earth has been a wonderful person that I am glad to have known.....what's up with that?

You have never met Harry Reid.

CurtisG
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
He doesnt count.......I tend to not like most politicians, regardless of faith:d0 (29):

mgriffith
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
As we draw closer to the Holy Spirit, we more easily feel our Father's love for ourselves, and for others. It then becomes easier to follow the greatest commandment, to love one another as the Savior loves us.

Mark

ZDMZ
11-30-2012, 11:48 PM
I think you beat the odds.

I know plenty of members that are wonderful people and a few that are not so much.

We are just people after all.

There is something different about members of the LDS faith. As was mentioned before the gift of the Holy Ghost is a big part of why we are different. As a member of the Godhead He has a big roll in helping people live a Christ like life by giving us promptings and feelings that encourage us to be like Him.

Kind of hard to explain in a web post but it works and is pretty cool.

mgriffith
12-01-2012, 06:06 AM
There is something different about members of the LDS faith. As was mentioned before the gift of the Holy Ghost is a big part of why we are different. As a member of the Godhead He has a big roll in helping people live a Christ like life by giving us promptings and feelings that encourage us to be like Him.

Remember, when we are confirmed, we are not "given" the gift of the Holy Ghost, we are told to *receive* the Holy Ghost. That means there is something we must all do to have the Holy Ghost operate in our lives. It is that change that we make within ourselves by following the commandments, that allows the Spirit to effect us. Because of this, we are drawn ever closer to the Spirit, which effects us even more, and we then draw closer, etc, etc. It is that cycle that makes us more like the Savior. We cannot become perfected in this flesh, but we can come close and in the end, the Savior's atonement makes up for the rest.

Mark

ZDMZ
12-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes Mgriffith, you are correct.
I was going to go into a bunch of stuff about humility and accepting those promptings. Also fasting and prayer and reading scriptures and magnifying callings and faith, hope and charity and on and on........ It all works in there somewhere.

It is all good stuff.

LEVE
12-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm reminded of what President David O. McKay used to say:
"The purpose of the gospel is to make bad men good and good men better, and to change human nature.I shudder to think of the good people I know in the Church and what they'd be like of they weren't Mormons, including myself and my family.

Aldon
12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Those who are LDS and then become inactive and or apostatize rarely identify themselves as LDS. These would be those who are less likely to have their countenance and their natural spirits changed. My son perceives those who are in alignment with the gospel as having an actual light to them that you may be perceiving as well. You would not feel or perceive this with those LDS who are not in alignment and who'e light has dimmed. As such, your data pool for judgement of LDS is limited to those who you should for the most part impress your spiritual perception. In short, if LDS was printed on our foreheads you would see that there are those who do not follow the tenets that are just as flawed as any other group. This is a testament to the affect that the Holy Spirit has as we strive to follow the teachings of Christ.

mgriffith
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes Mgriffith, you are correct.
I was going to go into a bunch of stuff about humility and accepting those promptings. Also fasting and prayer and reading scriptures and magnifying callings and faith, hope and charity and on and on........ It all works in there somewhere.

It is all good stuff.

Sorry, I hope you don't think I singled you out for "correction". I'm sure you know exactly what I mean, and live your life accordingly.

Mark