PDA

View Full Version : Natural cold/flu remedies

prairiemom
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I just posted a compilation of natural remedies for cold and flu. Not at all comprehensive, but a good enough start. Any other suggestions?
http://www.providenthomecompanion.com/stay-healthy/

LEVE
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
ny other suggestions?Yes... with any remedy, in about 7 days you'll start to feel better if it's a cold.

JayE
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
It has been many years since I have had a cold, or any kind of sickness. I think I had the flu maybe once in my life, and that might have been about 10 years ago. But, there is something that I have been doing for the past several years that I am convinced makes a difference. I used to get colds once in a while before that, but now I never get them at all. Every morning I take two cayenne capsules and one garlic pill with a little bit of juice.

prairiemom
01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes... with any remedy, in about 7 days you'll start to feel better if it's a cold.

:l0 (48):

Unless, like me, you have a history of asthma and bronchitis and every cold leads to a secondary infection.

Rand
01-07-2013, 03:23 PM
This is a nice post Prairemom. I agree with you.
Can I add some clarification on Echinacea? I have used it for 25 years professionally. It will do what it will do and works very well when used right. I have found it is very limited in prevention. If taken for a long period of time it will wear down the body. Use it with an active infection, meaning the mucus is colored yellow or green. It works well then but especially for bacterial infection. Then it works best if combined with Vit. A, Golden Seal and a little Ginger to warm the stomach so it doesn't bother the stomach.
Sleep is the best preventer of seasonal bugs. Staying emotionally healthy is vital. Vitamin D3 is next. Diet is helpful.
Chinese herbs are the best remedies out there. They are hard to get, hard to learn to use right, but the very most effective remedies out there. I also like homeopathy, but it is a steep learning curve. Once you figure it out, they are superb.

jennvan40
01-08-2013, 12:10 AM
I can say first hand, having your vitamin d at an adequate level REALLY helps in not getting sick. Plus if I feel a little run down, like I might be getting sick or something, I take a bunch of vitamin C and go to bed. I haven't been sick since May 2012, even with all the crap going around this winter that has been so rampant. I use something called Power Pack that has lots of vitamins and minerals in addition to the vitamin C. I'll take one every few hours if I feel like I'm getting run down or just turning to get sick. It really works well for me. (I can't remember if we can link to other things on here so I didn't add a link but if you are interested, let me know and I can post a link to the stuff online.)

I don't know if you would call this a home remedy, but I also love homeopathics. I have a few different cold/flu formulations that I use that help a lot. For general sinus congestion, Kali Bichromicum is great.

Julie
01-08-2013, 08:28 AM
It seems lately that whenever I get sick it goes into my lungs in the form of asthma. I take Olive Leaf and it knocks it right out. So far this year I have not been sick once. I mix a drink of greens and fruits in my vitamix every morning and I have added probiotic pills(from Costco) too that help your immune system.

Dolcezza
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
At the fist signs of a cold, in my family we use a combination of high dose Vitamin C (Slow release), echinacea, garlic, raspberry leaf tea and switch the diet to almost only fruit and veggies, plus we take something to cleanse the colon.

With our approach we have managed to keep the cold for no longer than 24 hours. I had flue about 3 times in my life (twice right after the jab, LOL)

If the body is clean, the bacteria/virus has nothing to chew on. They thrive in mucus and hate garlic.:l0 (48):

Dolcezza