PDA

View Full Version : Popup Trailer

KF7EEC
05-08-2013, 01:05 AM
I'd love to find a cheap popup trailer. My biggest use for it would be for Front Sight. Cheapest I'm seeing is about $2k. That would take 40-days to recop the initial cost vs staying in a hotel out there. (even cheaper would be to just drive home to Vegas... but I don't want that!)

Anyone know of any sources for a cheap popup trailer?

lurker
05-08-2013, 10:11 AM
My buddy and I set up a tent outside the compound. We cooked our meals there and made a great camp out of it. We used the restrooms inside the compound during the day. No showers. But we had a great time.

KF7EEC
05-08-2013, 10:40 AM
not sure I'm man enough for that yet lol :)

Poltax
05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Check your local paper or Craigs List. The other place is to go to your local RV dealers and see what they have in a used unit. Not sure what pop ups are going for, but you might even be able to pick up a full sized camp trailer for an inexpensive price. Try the camping world website they have all types of RV's listed. http://www.campingworld.com/ I know they have a dealer in LV area.

When we go to Front Sight we use our Motorhome and park on the North side by the gate. We usually dont bring a tow vehicle, so we drive the coach in. It works great for lunch as we go to the coach, turn on the genny, and have AC for an hour.

It would not be that hard to use a tent set up along with a shower tent. Use one of the solar showers for hot water. I have seen several set ups like that. One guy had his motorcycle & a small one person tent. He was there for 4 days.

ZDMZ
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I built a small teardrop trailer to use on scouting overnighters. I have been really happy with it. It is light and tows easy.
I have used it for week long camps and it gets a little confining for that long of a camp because it is small. By about the 4th day I wish I'd built a larger one.
Being based on a sheet of 4x8 plywood for the floor it was not real expensive, or difficult to build.

KF7EEC
05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I built a small teardrop trailer to use on scouting overnighters. I have been really happy with it. It is light and tows easy.
I have used it for week long camps and it gets a little confining for that long of a camp because it is small. By about the 4th day I wish I'd built a larger one.
Being based on a sheet of 4x8 plywood for the floor it was not real expensive, or difficult to build.

Wow, I have never heard of these before. Do you have the plans still that you used? I'm finding tons online, but would be interested in seeing the one you built. Also, pictures? Thx! :)

Poltax
05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Another option would be to use an enclosed cargo trailer and make bunks that fold down from the wall. Or use cots on the floor. You could also make a kitchen shelf, add AC with generator. Run a small fridge off the Generator. Or even add 6 volt batteries to run off of an invertor. You can also wire them up to have TV, Stereo ect.

I have done some of this in my enclosed snowmobler trailer. I have an RV furnace in mine, that is ducted along the ceiling, with 2 6 volt batteries wired up to run it. 2 propane bottles on the outside on the tounge.

ZDMZ
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
The plans I used were from a car parts company called Speedway.
You can also find a ton of information by looking here. http://www.tnttt.com/
After getting the plans I used the tnttt site to help find windows and a vent for the roof. They also have a lot of free plans.
I thought I had some pictures posted in the camping section but I can not find them there and I don't have them in my computer any more.

ZDMZ
05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Here is the Speedway Motors link. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Quick-N-Easy-Tear-Drop-Trailer-Plans,2818.html

DMGNUT
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm looking to go the way of the pop-up tent trailer too.
Most of the ones I've seen that fall into what I'm interested in, seem to be in $3,000-$3,500 price range (which means I'll have to wait a little bit longer).