PDA

View Full Version : St.Johns Wort

Abracadabra
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
I am wondering about St.Johns Positive Thoughts. I can sometimes get really nervous/anxious to the point of diahrea. I have tried several different things and they didn't work. Maybe I just didn't stay consistent with them long enough, I don't know. I've tried Passion Flower, Chamomile and considered Valerian but I don't want to be sleepy. I need something during the day. This St.Johns Positive Thoughts has 900mg of St.Johns Extract along with many other things like B-6, B-12, Vitamin C, Biotin, Calcium and the list goes on. I know St.Johns Wort can be dangerous if mixing with other drugs which I do not take. The most I might take is not prescription but maybe a B-Complex 50 and occasionally Calcium. I'm not a good person for taking anything and getting into a habit is really difficult for me. What I would like to know is if anyone is experienced with Herbs enough to help me know if this is safe for me to take every single day? I was told by the lady at the health food store that this must be taken on a daily basis and it may take a month for me to see any results. Please give my your council on this product. It is put out by Source Naturals.

Thank you
Jan

Bo Smith
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
St. John's Wort does work. The evidence suggests that it works similarly to MAOI inhibitors. Yes, it does take a while to build to a therapeutic level and does require maintenance doses to maintain effectiveness.

If you're going to use St. John's Wort two things: Do watch your blood pressure. It can cause spikes, and has caused brain aneurism and hemorrhage related to this effect. Also do not take it with an SSRI. This can cause serotonin storm, a life-threatening event.

Kelp calcium is also effective for some people to control anxiety. The calcium counteracts the phosphorous that can cause that jittery feeling.

Good luck and God bless.

zaro
06-03-2013, 05:59 PM
There are other options. They get more involved, but are much more natural. If you are interested,PM me and we can talk offline.
I am always reluctant to use herbs as Green Drugs. That just isn't how they should be used in my opinion. Blessings

Gingersnap
06-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Magnesium is great for calming. GABA helps you stop racing thoughts, excellent to take at bedtime. L-methylfolate is something you might want to research. Up to 70% of population has a genetic mutation that doesn't allow for proper breakdown and assimilation of folic acid (necessary to make the important neurotransmitters, heart health, dna replication, etc.) You can have the genetic testing done, or just take the supplement and see if you feel better.

Best wishes to you in finding the help you need.

CurtisG
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Magnesium seems to help stop my hands from shaking. Seems like i had the best result using a liquid SJWort added to a drink.
Abra, using a "pill-minder" where you can set up the whole weeks meds/vitamins in the plastic dividers is how my wife keeps her stuff on schedule.
If you are nervous/anxious, check your caffeine intake. I found out I was getting way more caffeine than I realized.
A thought about anxiety: diet and nutrition arent the only cures.....sometimes the only way to deal with my anxiety is to remove the source, paying a bill about to be due or getting maintenance done to my car.

Toni
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I am wondering about St.Johns Positive Thoughts. I can sometimes get really nervous/anxious to the point of diahrea. I have tried several different things and they didn't work. Maybe I just didn't stay consistent with them long enough, I don't know. I've tried Passion Flower, Chamomile and considered Valerian but I don't want to be sleepy. I need something during the day. This St.Johns Positive Thoughts has 900mg of St.Johns Extract along with many other things like B-6, B-12, Vitamin C, Biotin, Calcium and the list goes on. I know St.Johns Wort can be dangerous if mixing with other drugs which I do not take. The most I might take is not prescription but maybe a B-Complex 50 and occasionally Calcium. I'm not a good person for taking anything and getting into a habit is really difficult for me. What I would like to know is if anyone is experienced with Herbs enough to help me know if this is safe for me to take every single day? I was told by the lady at the health food store that this must be taken on a daily basis and it may take a month for me to see any results. Please give my your council on this product. It is put out by Source Naturals.

Thank you
Jan

I've grown St. John's wort. It's a beautiful plant, imo. I never got around to actually using it much, though. I cannot remember if it helped or not.

I have tried valerian. A mixture of valerian and scullcap worked best for me, though valerian was good. Small doses for stress/anxiety/etc. A little larger for needing a little help to get to sleep. Largest doses for pain. However, it seems like the smallest doses either made you sleepy or weren't strong enough to work?

Calcium-magnesium may help, though too much magnesium is a laxative.

Listening to this song over and over and over again has helped: In Christ Alone (I Stand) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipl-rLRxOrs)

Here's the infinite looper version: In Christ Alone (I Stand) (http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Ipl-rLRxOrs&p=n)

The thing that helped me the most was L-Tyrosine. It's an amino acid. It needs to be taken on an empty stomach because other proteins will compete for a place in one's brain. When I first began taking it, I was taking something like 5 pills 4 or 5 times a day. The good thing about it (the nutrient) is that, over time, I was able to take less and less until I was not taking it any longer. It healed me, it seems - or at least provided a nutrient my body was desperately in need of.

Cayenne may help because it helps the circulation and your brain may need that. Increased water consumption may help also. So might removing simple sugars from your diet. Even raisins can raise and drop the blood sugar too quickly, which can cause problems.

Sometimes, accepting one's weaknesses help make it tolerable, though it is not easy to go through. I'm not saying don't try other things; I'm just saying that you could use this to help you as you use other things to help you.