PDA

View Full Version : Church solar cooking

KF7EEC
06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I have talked about solar cooking in the past in my Ward. There hasn't been much interest.

Today at Church we had a "linger longer" with finger food type things. I decided to take a (frozen) chicken dish. I got to Church at about 7:30 for Bishopric meeting. I setup my Global Sun Oven, put the chicken in it, and let it cook. I checked on it a few times during the 5 or so hours, changing position once. It was a big hit. Chicken was gone almost instantly. I showed several people in Sun Oven and have several people interested in more info on them and possibly in getting one.

Moral of story, demonstrations beat any lecture.
:d0 (43):

ghostcat
06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Good job!!

DMGNUT
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
You are the man!
And right you are on demonstrations vs lectures.
I've never heard the expression "linger longer".
But from what I surmise, it sounds like a great idea.
I will be mentioning this to our Bishopric (but even if they like it, we'll probably wait till summer has passed to try it).

JayE
07-02-2013, 09:09 AM
How would you rate the "Global Sun Oven" compared to other solar ovens?

DMGNUT
07-02-2013, 11:39 PM
I've never used anything but the Global Sun Oven (other than home-made school projects)... but having said that, the Sun Oven is great.
And by the way, we were at Honeyville this weekend and they were discontinuing the regular Sun Ovens and replacing them with a newer model.
The older ones were sharply discounted.

KF7EEC
07-04-2013, 02:45 PM
How would you rate the "Global Sun Oven" compared to other solar ovens?

It's the only one I've really used. I like it.

The YW have asked to take my Global Sun Oven to Girls Camp. :)

Earthling
07-06-2013, 09:10 PM
In my research the Global Sun oven was the best on the market. They have come out with a newer model (American Sun oven) with some nice features but it is also twice the price soooo..... I would pick up the Global sun oven. If the price comes down on the new American Sun oven then I might get one of those too.

Earthling
07-06-2013, 09:15 PM
BTW - when I was at Honeyville 2 weeks ago the only sun oven they carried was not the Global Sun oven but another brand called the Sport sun oven that is cheaper and not near as good. Be careful . . . I would not buy the cheaper Sport oven sold by Emergency Essentials as my research showed it not nearly as good as the Global:

http://beprepared.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sun+oven

The All American oven is selling for $350 - pricey.

Which Honeyville store did you find the deal at?

DMGNUT
07-07-2013, 06:13 PM
The Honeyville in Chandler, AZ.

DMGNUT
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
PS. It might not be worth the drive... :l0 (51):

KF7EEC
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
The Honeyville in Chandler, AZ.

I was just down in Mesa. Just got back last night. If I had read this on Friday or Saturday, I would have totally check it out.

KF7EEC
07-08-2013, 10:50 PM
I've never used anything but the Global Sun Oven (other than home-made school projects)... but having said that, the Sun Oven is great.
And by the way, we were at Honeyville this weekend and they were discontinuing the regular Sun Ovens and replacing them with a newer model.
The older ones were sharply discounted.

Do you recall how much they were discounted to?