PDA

View Full Version : Advice From All You Experienced Campers

Abracadabra
06-17-2013, 11:13 AM
DH & I have just a normal 6-man domed tent that we bought years ago. We don't camp out anymore but used to when we were in our 20's and loved to go to the lake and waterski. But, we now feel that we might be smart to get on board with a better quality tent that could possibly have to house our family one day. Is there a tent that provides a better ventilation than what you would buy from say WalMart? I understand having a stove/heater for the winter to keep warm and to cook. But, if the weather is hot outside is there a tent fabric that say "breathes" better? Also, I would like something that stands up to winds and rain and snow. Would this type tent be an Alaknak??? Right now if our lives depended on survival outside, spending 1500.00 on a tent would be nothing as far as I'm concerned. What are your thoughts/experience?

Thank you

Abracadabra
06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
No one???

zaro
06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Kelty-Mantra-6-Six-person-Tent/1623196/product.html

This is the tent we got. Good midline quality, price. It has been good for just that kind of use. A good company, with good quality, but a low price level. Good luck.

libertygranny
06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
sorry, my version of camping is any hotel where I have to go get my own ice from down the hall. But seriously, our needs have changed since all of our kids have grown up and moved out. We have a tent that suits our needs for now, but I think my hubby wants a new one so once he starts getting his SSI payments, we will save up for one.

mgriffith
06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
I like the good quality cabin canvas tents. They don't "breath" but the good ones usually have doors on either end so they can get a breeze. Whatever you buy, if you are looking for long term living, get one that you can stand up in easily, and can attach a good size dining fly. There is nothing more demoralizing than being stuck in a tent for days because of weather and you can't stand up or go outside. If you have the resources, get two and set them up with the ends facing each other and a dining fly connecting the two. Then use one tent for sleeping/storage and the other for living/eating. and the area under the dining fly for everything else.

In the summer, a second dining fly or tarp strung over the tent will shade it from the Sun and keep it much cooler.

Of course, if there are bears in your area, you'll have to re-think where to eat and store food.

Mark

Abracadabra
06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
I like the good quality cabin canvas tents. They don't "breath" but the good ones usually have doors on either end so they can get a breeze. Whatever you buy, if you are looking for long term living, get one that you can stand up in easily, and can attach a good size dining fly. There is nothing more demoralizing than being stuck in a tent for days because of weather and you can't stand up or go outside. If you have the resources, get two and set them up with the ends facing each other and a dining fly connecting the two. Then use one tent for sleeping/storage and the other for living/eating. and the area under the dining fly for everything else.

In the summer, a second dining fly or tarp strung over the tent will shade it from the Sun and keep it much cooler.

Of course, if there are bears in your area, you'll have to re-think where to eat and store food.

Mark

Any particular brand? What are you calling a dining fly?

Nephi294
06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Have you looked at springbar tents? That's what I have been looking at recently.

mgriffith
06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
A dining fly is just a large tarp strung up in front of the tent so you have a fairly large area to sit outside and eat, or just relax. Also a nice place to be on a rainy day as long as the wind is not blowing too strong. Here is an example.

https://www.strinztipi.com/estore/sc_images/products/591_large_image.jpg

Here are a photo of dining fly I have setup. Note you can add sides to help keep out the weather.

constable01
06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Look into Military surplus. Most of those tents from GP medium up accept a wood or coal stove to heat it in the winter and the sides rool up in the summer.

Coleman's Military Surplus has the old canvas ones and even some of the newer Vinyl modular style with the internal aluminum frame. BTW, you can also build a semi permanent internal frame out of 2X4's for the canvass older tents too.

I'm talking like a Mess or Medical tent that holds like ten cots and gear room and you can stand in it and walk around, like on M.A.S.H.!!!!!!!!!

Poltax
06-18-2013, 09:30 PM
For your price range you have lots of options. Springbar made here in Utah You can get them at Kirkhams. The other tent is kind of a Spingbar knock off. They are called Kodiak tents. The main office is here in UT as well. Both of those would do you well & hold up.

The best option is a canvas wall tent. You can get them as large as you want. There are lots of add on's including a stove pipe hole for a wood stove. Just google wall tents and you will see lots of options.