PDA

View Full Version : Power Grid Vulnerability

Earthling
10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
What are your thoughts about this:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/report-massive-vulnerability-detected-in-national-power-grids-there-is-no-way-to-stop-this_10202013

mgriffith
10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Won't bother me in the least. These are items you may want to look into:

1. A goodly amount of food storage. NOT JUST wheat and beans in buckets, but also food you normally eat.

2. Also store things like hair shampoo, toilet paper, toothpaste, bandaids....stuff you would normally have around and use.

3. Storage of gasoline. I have an extra 20 gallons stored in the garage in 5 gallon gas cans all the time. I rotate it every 6 months. Of course this is for emergencies, like taking someone to the hospital, and not casual trips.

4. A means to charge batteries without mains power. Solar panels, wind/hydro generators, etc. I have solar panels that can charge all my batteries (I have many) and provide power for my radios, lights, etc. I also have a wind generator, but we don't get enough steady wind here to make it useful, unless a front is moving through and then I can use it for a couple days maybe.

Of course, in the witer you'll need some sort of heat...you'll have to figure that one out depending upon your circumstances.

With these items, you can last a fairly long power outage with little inconvenience.

Mark

DMGNUT
02-13-2016, 08:34 PM
In light of KF7EECs recent post on the hacking of a Ukrainian power grid system, I thought this old thread might be worth reviving.
Once again, it would be worth considering if one is truly prepared for... "when something wicked, this way comes"?
(sorry for the bad movie/book pun)
And for what its worth, I also really like Mgriffith's response to this post... in essence; those who are prepared, need not fear.
But I hope you're very, very prepared.

PhoenixRising
02-18-2016, 05:56 PM
What are your thoughts about this:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/report-massive-vulnerability-detected-in-national-power-grids-there-is-no-way-to-stop-this_10202013

First thought: this website is an awful mess of fear-mongering combined with advertisements for bullion and prep supplies. Not trustworthy.