PDA

View Full Version : Pressure cookers - hooray!

LoudmouthMormon
10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
For years, I encountered stories from people who had picked up pressure cookers cheap from thrift stores. Well, after years of occasional looking, I've now joined the club. Two Mirro cookers, one 4qt from the 1990's, one 6qt from the 1980's. Eight bucks each at Goodwill. I googled up an old archived owner's manual, and last night I managed to successfully cook carrots in 10 minutes without blowing anything up.

My next experiment will either involve food storage beans, or maybe flank steak if I can work up my courage. I am not an innovative cook, nor even a good one, but I can follow directions.

Anyone have any good pressure cooker recipes?

arbilad
10-23-2013, 11:17 AM
It's not strictly necessary, but I would still presoak food storage beans before putting them in a pressure cooker.
At our altitude it is difficult to cook brown rice in time to use it for dinner, so we use the pressure cooker for brown rice.

Earthling
10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
I researched pressure cooking this summer - my mom used hers all the time. The best book out there you absolutely must get is Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes. The recipes I've tried so far are excellent. She also has a web site: http://www.missvickie.com/ I need to go through that myself. When you get going you will want to get a good quality one. There is a huge difference between the new models and the old ones.

mgriffith
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Be careful. After Boston, I'm sure anyone buying a pressure cooker is going on someone's watch list.

Always use cash.

Mark

DMGNUT
10-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I researched pressure cooking this summer - my mom used hers all the time. The best book out there you absolutely must get is Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes. The recipes I've tried so far are excellent. She also has a web site: http://www.missvickie.com/ I need to go through that myself. When you get going you will want to get a good quality one. There is a huge difference between the new models and the old ones.

Just put it in my Amazon cart... thanks.