PDA

View Full Version : How much should you plant for one year?

arbilad
02-11-2015, 06:58 PM
I found this article on how many plants you would need per year per person. They don't talk about other food sources, so I don't know if this would be your entire diet or just the vegetable portion. And different people would prefer different things. But for what it's worth, here it is:

http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/how-much-should-you-plant-in-your-garden-to-provide-a-years-worth-of-food

iggy
02-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Just because this thread is on planting I thought I would post this about Diapers help your plants grow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXb8rJ8Rm3I

I bought a package of Fred Meyer brand diapers. Got the size 3, in the smallest package available - 21 or 23 diapers. Took one diaper, put it in my largest plastic bowl (my popcorn bowl) and added 3 cups of water. Waited 45 minutes (got involved in a TV show) then tore the outer layer off and scooped out the gel goop. So far it is just like on the video. Next is to re-pot one of my house plants. I keep forgetting to water my plants and I am tired of them dying on me. Gets to be pretty spendy replacing plants!

SO ~ will post after a month or so with the results of the diaper guts+soil from the plants.

ghostcat
02-15-2015, 02:14 AM
I eagerly await your results. I too have seen that and other videos floating around. Since I am well known for having a "brown" thumb this looks very interesting.

iggy
02-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Since today was our Stake Conference and we generally stay home (no comfortable place to sit after the 2 hour drive there, then have to drive 2 hours home with sore and achy hips & knees) I was going to re-pot my palm plant - BUT I haven't felt well enough. Just may do it later or tomorrow. Think I will prep about 4 more diapers- using the large empty kitty litter buckets - then I can do more plants.

Can anyone tell me when it is time to repot an african violet. Mine is in a ceramic leaf shaped pot. The other plants that were in there with it grew and pushed themselves right out of the pot! This violet is big. I keep turning it so that it isn't resting on the window pane - takes maybe 2 weeks before it is listing to one side. If I touch the leaves of an african violet with my bare hands, they quickly turn to mush and the entire plant rots to death. So I put on kitchen rubber gloves to lift the leaves when I water, and to pick off the dead leaves. But it only takes a week now for it to list. It blooms all the time too. I gently remove the spent blooms and the next thing I know it is in bloom again. My ex-MIL had at least a dozen african violets, but not one of them grew like this one does, and they only bloomed once a season.

I am tempted to take it back to the florist where Hubby bought it and have them repot it, and then pot something new in the leaf pot.