PDA

View Full Version : Hackers / Power Grid

KF7EEC
02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
First on CNN: U.S. investigators find proof of cyberattack on Ukraine power grid
By Evan Perez, CNN Justice Reporter
Updated 8:00 PM ET, Wed February 3, 2016
Koppel: Cyberattack on the grid could devastate U.S.

Washington (CNN)U.S. investigators have found evidence to confirm what is believed to be the first-of-its-kind cyberattack on a power grid that caused a blackout for hundreds of thousands of people in Ukraine in December.

A U.S. official close to the investigation said the power outage was caused by a sophisticated attack using destructive malware that wrecked computers and wiped out sensitive control systems for parts of the Ukrainian power grid.

See more - http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/politics/cyberattack-ukraine-power-grid/index.html

cache
02-06-2016, 04:42 PM
It's comforting to have food, water and energy storage. Happy to be a HAM technician, they can't knock out my car battery

arbilad
02-06-2016, 04:50 PM
I feel for my friends in Ukraine. They have already been suffering a lot because of the Russian invasion of their nation.
But this could happen here too. So be prepared, so that you don't have to fear.

Earthling
02-07-2016, 11:33 PM
I just finished the book Lights Out by Ted Koppel and the grid being attacked is what he examines in the book. I thought we were just at risk of an EMP but there is a whole list of ways hackers can get into the grid. They figure they are already there but haven't done anything . . . yet. There is a lot of technical explanation and also why no one addresses the issue. Interesting but not hopeful except to have your own preps as there isn't anything you can do to change things.

DMGNUT
02-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Stop it, stop it please...
I'm stuck here in an efficiency apt with all my prep stuff loaded in a 48' 18 wheeler box trailer parked some 40 miles away out on a farm.
There's really no way to get to anything important in it, without unloading the whole thing... we need to get a house... once we get jobs...
Just give me a couple more months... please....?
:thumbup1:

DMGNUT
02-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Earthling, that's a good book and worth the time to read, if for no other reason than to highlight how fragile our power structure is, and how easy it would be to bring it (or at least a large portion of it) down. And... how difficult and time consuming it would be to restore it... if it could be restored at all.

DMGNUT
02-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm kind of surprised how few comments are on this thread.
Maybe its just me, but I know the terrorists seem to be consumed with harming people and trying to create panic among our citizens in that way...
But... I really think the next "big" thing, will be something aimed at causing mayhem and chaos by harming our infrastructure.
For them (the terrorists) to pull off some of the things they've pulled off, they have to be half way smart, but I seriously don't see them continuing to be content with harming individuals on a localized level, regardless of how big the results are.
We hear rumors and read articles about numerous other planned attacks that have been thwarted by the diligent efforts of our "agents".
But with our wide open borders... how long before there are so many terrorist cells working here, that our people just can't keep up, and that next really "big" thing happens?
When it does happen, I see it being something like what the article above talks about.
Maybe the collapse of a huge portion of our electrical grid, the tainting of the water sources of several metropolitan areas at the same time, etc...
Just thinking out loud... and wondering what others might think.

arbilad
02-12-2016, 05:14 PM
If the Russians get in a bad enough state as a country, they will try anything. There are already people predicting that Russia will go bankrupt in 2017. They won't go quietly into that good night, though.

DMGNUT
02-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about the Russians (but I definitely see your point).
I was thinking about the extremists withing the Islamic culture... you know... the ones who want to cut all our heads off.

OPossumTX
03-01-2016, 02:48 PM
If the Russians get in a bad enough state as a country, they will try anything. There are already people predicting that Russia will go bankrupt in 2017. They won't go quietly into that good night, though.

Totalitarian systems tend to persecute the victims when their systems begin to break down. After all, it couldn't have been the "Fearless Leader", or their minions fault.

When you find innocent people being murdered just because they are inconvenient to have around, you have found evil.