PDA

View Full Version : Didn't know where to post this- storing fuel on your car, truck, or SUV

Bo Smith
10-21-2016, 05:10 PM
For those of you that have hunting, camping, or vacation rigs (truck, SUV, etc.) how do you store extra fuel? Maybe on a trailer, roof rack, or receiver hitch platform?

What cans are you using? I know the CARB-compliant cans suck. They can (hypothetically, of course- wouldn't want to condone any illegal activity) be modified to not spill gas all over the place, what with not having a vent hole and the silly spouts they have.

So, say you wanted to store ten gallons or more on your car, securely? That is, you want to make it a little difficult for light fingers to abscond with your cans, knowing that nothing is truly burglar-proof.

Thanks.

DMGNUT
10-23-2016, 02:03 AM
I don't carry extra fuel on either vehicle, but if I did (and eventually I want to), I'd lean toward a swing gate on the back of my pickups (outside the vehicle), with a couple jerry cans... I think they sell those swing gates that can lock jerry cans on (as you said, nothing is burglar proof), but light fingers won't walk away with your jerry cans with ease.

Bo Smith
10-23-2016, 02:34 PM
What kind of cans do you favor? Since CARB the good Scepter cans are not available. I am not worried about CARB-compliance (one could modify them, if so inclined). I am more concerned with cans that fit on a rack (I am thinking receiver hitch for my own rig).

DMGNUT
10-23-2016, 07:30 PM
I've seen a few receiver hitch set-ups that I like, but definitely want to keep the hitch open for a small trailer (possibly a pop-up tent trailer).
CARB crap aside, I'll be going with a standard military style steel jerry can (I already have quite a few of them filled with gas anyway).
President Ezra Taft Benson said to store fuel if possible... I took that at face value and store lots of cooking fuel and vehicle fuel as well.

Bo Smith
10-23-2016, 08:47 PM
I have some old NATO cans that I refurbished that I like. The problem I have is that the spouts I have for them leak more than the CARB spouts, if that's possible.

I like plastic cans more than steel for durability and weight. I just can't find any that I like for their size.

My rig has a liftgate. I don't think I can make a swing-arm work there. The other possibility is a roof rack.

DMGNUT
10-26-2016, 11:17 PM
The cans I have don't have the old threaded caps, but a compression style cap (and nozzle).
I had to buy an extra one or two of the nozzles to end up with several that didn't leak, but I like what I have now.
I think the swing gate will work with a liftgate rear end as well as the typical tailgate of a truck... either way the swing gate attachment has to move completely out of the way for the back of the vehicle to be accessed properly.
Also, since plastic breathes (in a manner of speaking), I don't think the shelf-life would be as long as with something that offers more of an actual air tight seal... and never really cared for the bright red color of the plastic... give me OD green any day. :wink (2):

Bo Smith
10-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Yeah, the NATO cans I have take friction-fit spouts.I have them in storage at my in-law's house (They were very dark gray, not OD, by the way- German, I think). I should go pick them up now that I have my own house and outdoor storage.

I don't know about the shelf life of gasoline in a steel versus a plastic can. Than's an interesting point that bears further investigation. I imagine that one would ideally rotate fuel in either type of can before it became an issue.

I am liking the Roto-pak cans for my rig. There are a few 4x4 outfitters in town. I'll have to stop by and see what they recommend for attachments (swing gate and roof rack).

If anyone has pictures post some up. Someone here must have fuel storage onboard their truck or SUV. It's the nature of the board and all.