PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Essential Oils!!

kamoil
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Benefits Of Using High-Frequency Essential Oils

Historically Proven

The use of Essential Oils has a long and rich history. The bible mentions 33 species of essential oils and makes more than 1,000 mentions of their uses.
? Maintain wellness
? Acquiring healing
? Enhance spiritual worship
? Emotional cleansing
? More

Egyptian temples were dedicated to production and blending of oils, recipes recorded on the walls in hieroglyphics.

What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the regenerating, oxygenating, and immune defense properties of plants. Essential oils contain the oxygen molecules that transport nutrients to the cells of the body. They have a bio-electrical frequency that is several times greater than the frequency of herbs of foods.

It is a substance extracted from a single botanical source; 70x more concentrated than what is found in plant form. Essential oils are taken from leaves, bark, peel, flowers, etc.

How are they extracted?
? Steam distillation
? Chemical Solvents
? Cold pressing

Why consider using Essential Oils for yourself and your family now?
? No risk of liver toxicity
? Only side-effects are you feel better and look better
? Inexpensive

Save office visits
~Save time
~Save money
~Save your health
~Work more quickly than most medicines

What about Essential Oils

Have the highest ORAC scores of any substance in the world
One ounce of clove oil has the antioxidant capacity of 450 lbs of carrots, 120 qts o blueberries, or 48 gallons of been juice
Pass through the blood-brain barrier freely
Pass through skin quickly?
Can be detected in blood within 20 seconds
Actually dispensed from pharmacies in EuropeWhat Are The Benefits Of Using Essential Oils??

Regenerating
Oxygenating
Immune defense properties of the plant.
Lipid soluable so can penetrate cell walls. Affect every cell of the body within 2 minutes and are then metabolized like other nutrients.
Contain oxygen molecules that transport nutrients to starving human cells ? disease begins when cells lack oxygen
Stimulate immune mechanisms
Power antioxidants
Antibacterial
Anticancerous
Antifungal
Anti-infectious
Antimicrobial
Antitumoral
Antiparasitic
Antiviral
Antiseptic
Some essential oils have been shown to destroy all tested bacteria and viruses while simultaneously restoring balance to the body
Detox cells and blood
Can be effective in alzheimers, parkinsons, ms etc because can pass blood/brain barrier
When diffused they purify the air
Remove metallic particles and toxins
Increase atmospheric oxygen
Increase ozone and negative ions ? inhibit bacterial growth
Destroy odors from mold, cigarettes, animals
Bioelectrical frequency that is several times greater than frequency of herbs, food and even body. Clinical research shows that essential oils have potential to raise frequency of the body.How do you use Essential Oils?
? Directly where the need is

? Bath
? Soles of your feet
? Inhale directly from the bottle
? Diffuse
? Back treatment
? Massage/body rub
? Compresses
? Spritzer
? Add to lotions, oils etc

What to look for in a Pure EO
? Oils can say 100% pure and be extended by up to 52+% with synthetic extender or a carrier oil, so take the smell test.
~No ?bite? as you smell the oil is a sure sign of high quality
~If you get a headache over the right or left eyes, it has been improperly distilled or has added chemicals or extenders.
~Know your supplier.

Cowboy
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
thanks for stepping in here and providing some good information.

Shay
02-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Where is a good place to start learning about essential oils? Like--which oils for which ailments? How to take them, etc. Where did you learn about them?
Thanks for any direction.
Shay

Toni
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Kam, I appreciate your threads.

zaksewski
03-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Here is a brief list of essential oils, their properties, and a few recipes. The laundry detergent is awsome! I use homemade soap for mine but any soap can be used. Hope this is helpful.

A great place to buy essential oils is www.essentialoils.org (http://www.essentialoils.org)
They sell bulk oils at great prices.

Shay
03-07-2008, 12:26 AM
If I were to buy one book on using essential oils--what would you experts out there recommend? Thanks for the hand-out zaksewski. Great place to start!
Shay

bokbadok
03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I have found that Lemongrass Oil works wonders for ligament/tendon problems. I have used it with great success to heal plantar fascitis and other foot overuse injuries. The pain relief is almost immediate, and with daily use, fast healing ensues. I dilute the Lemongrass as follows: pour a 1/2 teaspoon of carrier oil (olive, sesame, etc) in palm of hand. Add 2-3 drops of essential oil.

texasgal
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Shay,
A great place to find books on essential oils is www.essentialscience.net (http://www.essentialscience.net)
I personally have found the Essential Oils Integrative Medical Guide a wonderland of information of each oil and blend, how to use it, what it can do, etc. I also have the pocket reference guide for quick lookups! Whatever oils you use, please make sure they are PURE. I know Young Living Essential Oils are pure and very high quality, personally. I cannot speak for others.

Charsee
04-12-2008, 09:53 PM
What are the most common, most affordable and/or the best carrier oils for essential oils?

I was told to dilute tangerine oil, does this oil need to be diluted with carrier oil when rubbed on accupressure points?

Charsee
04-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Oops. Wrong thread...

Charsee
04-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Other sources of essential oils that have been recommended to me. Also you can check on e-bay for essential oils.

http://www.hqionline.com/hqi.php

http://www.pureelementsonline.com/

http://www.essentialoils.cc/

http://www.primaveralife.com/eng/products/EssentialOils_feat.php

A book to read:
The Healing Oils of the Bible

goldilocks
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
A great place to buy essential oils is www.essentialoils.org
They sell bulk oils at great prices.

Looks like you need to have a small business to buy them in bulk from this company accrdoing to their FAQ page or they will not se to you.

crazyknitter
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Motherlode, has a business of her own and sells good quality essential oils. We have had very good success with them.

Charsee
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
"A great place to buy essential oils is www.essentialoils.org (http://www.essentialoils.org)
They sell bulk oils at great prices."

Wow, they sell these oils by the ounce and lb...not by a teaspoon or two. Thanks!

kamoil
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
What are the most common, most affordable and/or the best carrier oils for essential oils?

I was told to dilute tangerine oil, does this oil need to be diluted with carrier oil when rubbed on accupressure points?

Tangerine oil is not hot, so there is really no need to dilute it. But it is a citrus, and with ALL citrus, they are photo-sensitive oils. This means that you should not expose the skin where you have applied it for several hours. If so, your skin will darken in that spot.

Kam

Abinadi
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I have used cinnamin essentail oil, fresh lemon and tators when dealling with a "cat" bite.

Abinadi

mrs_thermocouple
04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I got into using oils about a year ago, but didn't start really studying and using them regularly until a couple of months ago. Now I swear by them. Keep in mind, though, you need to be really careful where you get them. A lot of companies claim to be 100% pure when indeed they are not.

A favorite oil of mine lately is Lemon. I have been hooked on energy drinks for the past FIVE years and have known that I need to get away from them. A friend of mine suggested I put lemon oil in my water and it has been awesome! Not only has it given me energy, but has elevated my moods as well. Plus I get all the other benefits of lemon: antiseptic, antifungal, antioxidant and antiviral. It's great at removing gum, wood stain, oil and grease spots.

Back to my original point....I love the lemon because I am almost off of my energy drinks because of it! It's so exciting to me!!!

mrs_thermocouple
04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Signseeker was asking for good places to get oils and good sources/books for finding out about them. So here it is:

doTERRA is the BEST company that I have found to get HIGH quality 100% Certified Therapeutic Grade oils. I've been researching this and I have found them to be the best. You can find out more about the product and also order oils through my website by clicking HERE (http://www.mydoterra.com/jessicabatson/). PLEASE keep in mind that I am not trying to make money off of any of you. I only became a distributor for this company so that I could get a discount on a product that I believe to be of great value. These oils are awesome and I swear by them!

My FAVORITE book as a source for using oils is called Modern Essentials: A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils. There are only two places where I've actually seen it for sale (THat doesn't mean no one else has it, though.) I've seen it at a store in Pleasant Grove, UT at "Herbs for Health" and also online at Aroma Tools (http://www.aromatools.com/). This book lists all of the Essential Oils (even the blends made by doTERRA) and botanical family, extraction method, chemical constituents, properties, uses, body systems affected, application, what oils it blends well with and many other items of information that would be helpful when using oils. There's also a section in the book of different ailments, sicknesses, etc. and what oils to use and how exactly to use them. I love this book and refer to it DAILY!

Please let me know if you have ANY questions! I've been really excited to learn about oils, use them on a daily basis and teach others about them too!

FixItGuy
04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Mrs Thermocuouple, you need to post more often. You ladies have a
lot to teach us. Being taught by women can be hard for men sometimes. My wife says I am selectivly deaf. Some ladies have a lot to say and don't. Some speak when I don't want to hear it.
Sometimes when I let life get me down, Highlandsunrise has the cure. She has a fancy box of oils she gets out after my shower at night and rubs my feet with some kind of oil? It smells gooood, makes me calm and I falll right to sleep just like when I was a kid and had no stress. Smells like my Grandmother's perfume so I don't want to smell like that in the day time.

mrs_thermocouple
04-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Mr. FixIt! lol. If I ever say something you don't wanna hear just tell me to shut up. Although, chances are I won't listen and I'll just keep on talking...

KF7EEC
04-08-2010, 10:03 AM
...Being taught by women can be hard for men sometimes. My wife says I am selectivly deaf...

not to hijack the thread too much, but this works both ways.. :)

I can tell my wife a wonderful idea and, in her mind, its stupid or won't work or what not. As soon as one of female friends has the same idea, all of a sudden, its a great idea.

thermocouple
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
not to hijack the thread too much, but this works both ways.. :)

I can tell my wife a wonderful idea and, in her mind, its stupid or won't work or what not. As soon as one of female friends has the same idea, all of a sudden, its a great idea.
Really. I can hardly believe that.

mrs_thermocouple
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
OK...Back to oils.....

I have found a wonderful wonderful WONDERFUL alternative to deodorant and antiperspirant. I sweat very easily and believe it or not it doesn't smell pretty. I'm sure I'm the only one here that has that problem, but in case I'm wrong here's what I have discovered...

I think we all know that antiperspirant is horribly bad for you and for those of you who didn't know that, now you do! I've tried using natural deodorants, everything out there, that doesn't have Alum in it. They do not work for me. I've tried using rubbing alcohol to kill the bacteria and it works but only for a couple of hours. I've learned a new secret. I am using essential oils! I use Melaleuca and a blend of oils called Balance. I am using a small glass roller-top bottle filled 1/2 way with colodial silver and the rest of the way with equal amounts of Melaleuca and Balance. It works awesome!!!! I used it while camping and only put it on every other day and it was still working those entire 48 hours! And did I mention I was camping? lol. NO showers! I'm so excited about this and had to share!

Highlandsunrise
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
The things Fixit doesn't want to hear are, "Should you be eating that?" or "Shouldn't you be exercising?" or "Have you checked your blood sugar?". He gets a bit deaf when I say stuff like that. He hears pretty well when I talk otherwise. :wink5:

Highlandsunrise
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Didn't realize that deodorant was bad for me. I have all that stuff. I will try it. Thank you.

thermocouple
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm the kind of guy who has no problem going to a doctor when something is ailing me. Also the kind of guy who will scoff at and even make fun off people using creepy weirdo hippy wiccan remedies.

I have had a nasty sinus infection for more than two months now. Was basically just taking vitamins to try and get rid of it, because I was too busy or lazy to make a doctor appointment. So the wife started me on this oil treatment a couple days ago, it's 10x better today than it was before I took the oils. It was getting better yesterday, but still bothering me. Its far better today, though the infection is still trying to hang on. When she started this I told her she had two weeks, then I was going to the doc for antibiotics or whatever. I think this stubborn, nasty, lingering sinus infection will be gone in less than a week of taking this stuff.

And thats not even all! Last night she put some kind of oil on my bum shoulder (tore rotator cuff and labrum a couple years ago, really acts up sometimes now) and then put some heat on top of the oil. It actually worked great, much better than I expected.

mrs_thermocouple
04-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Check out this link to see AMAZING results from someone who used Helicrhysum Oil. I think I found a new favorite oil!

http://doterrablog.com/health-benefits-of-helichrysum

mrs_thermocouple
04-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I posted a couple of days ago about how bad deodorant and antiperspirant are for you. I did some searching on the web tonight to find a good article that goes into enough detail for it to make sense. Here it is:

Aluminum in DeodorantToxic Ingredients in Antiperspirant, Brain Health, and Alzheimer's

In a culture where being well-groomed and attractive are almost a necessity, dependence on deodorant and antiperspirant is a must. But few know the health hazards present in the everyday underarm cosmetic. Beyond the synthetic fragrances and toxic ingredients found in most personal care products, antiperspirant and deodorant are loaded with aluminum compounds that have been linked to Alzheimer's disease and brain disorders, respiratory disorders, and possibly cancer.

What is Aluminum?
Aluminum is one of the most common elements in the environment and the world's most common metal. It is used in cans and aluminum foil, as lightweight sheet metal in airplanes and other machinery, in electrical wiring - and in personal care products such as underarm deodorant and antiperspirant. Aluminum oxide, also present in deodorants, is often used as a coating and is the major compound in rubies and sapphires.

Aluminum is a Toxin?In 1993, the World Health Organization said, "There is a suspected link between Alzheimer's disease and the toxicity of aluminum." (2)
?The Agency for Toxic Substances and & Disease Registry reports that "Exposure to high levels of aluminum may result in respiratory and neurological problems."
Aluminum Compounds in Deodorant and Antiperspirant ? Locking Poisons In
The problem with deodorants and antiperspirants is not only the aluminum, but how it works to reduce sweat and smelly odors.

Aluminum compounds or aluminum salts, such as aluminum oxide (Al2O3), are key ingredients in almost every antiperspirant. They are powerful astringents that close pores, stopping sweat and odor from escaping the body.

Antiperspirants may leave the outside of the body smelling fresh and clean ? but inside, the toxins that would have escaped the body in the sweat have nowhere to go. For this reason, antiperspirants have been linked to problems with the sweat glands and lymph glands in and around the underarms.

What's more, "antiperspirants are designed to be absorbed"; the aluminum and many other chemicals are taken into the body and may affect the endocrine and lymphatic systems, as well as being a potential risk factor in breast cancer.

Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease
Some studies find a link between Alzheimer's disease and aluminum, while others deny that such a link exists. A 1993 World Health Organization "Public Health Report" cited autopsies that found high concentrations of aluminum in the brains of those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease.(2)

Despite arguments that aluminum exposure is anavoidable in air, food, and water sources, many doctors and holistic experts advise avoiding products known to contain additional aluminum ? especially deodorants or antiperspirants in an aerosol spray, which can be absorbed through the nasal passages, into the bloodstream, and affect both the respiratory system and the brain.

Heavy metals such as aluminum are known to accumulate in the brain, where only the most effective cleanses (1) can begin to restore health and remove them.

Read more at Suite101: Aluminum in Deodorant: Toxic Ingredients in Antiperspirant, Brain Health, and Alzheimer's http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/aluminum_in_deodorant#ixzz0klN4TEkF

mrs_thermocouple
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Lately an oil that's been really popular and that I've been selling a lot of is one called "PastTense". It's a combination of oils fomulated especially for headaches. It's a combination of Wintergreen, Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Cilantro, Roman Chamomile, Marjoram, Basil and Rosemary. People I know that have been using this are amazed at how well it works! So if you have a headache I suggest PastTense. Sometimes it's also as simple as using Peppermint or Lavender. Lately when I've felt a headache coming on (I usually get tension headaches that start at the back of my neck) I use just peppermint on the back of my neck and temples and that takes it away.

signseeker
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
What a great thing! To know how to use all these herbs and plants! I'm going to start a list in my gardening journal of different herbs I want to grow... with the ailments they are supposed to help... ailments that my family is prone to get.

Do you or are you interested in knowing how to get the oil out of the plant yourself? I guess if TSHTF we'll be limited to what grows in our climates, but... I dunno, just wondering about that. :) Frankincense sounds pretty exotic...

I've never given herbs much thought, honestly. My mom was into some new thing all the while I was growing up... shark cartilege, kelp pills, Noni juice, magnetic bracelets, whatever - you name it, she was into it. Then in DH's family there was someone who died of cancer because they were going to cure themselves with herbs. Anyhoo--- I'm becoming more interested in this subject. Thanks for your knowledge and enthusiasm, mrsT!

mrs_thermocouple
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd like to eventually learn how to make the most out of plants/herbs I grow. But I don't want to overwhelm myself so for now I'm just going to learn all I can about the different oils and herbs and how to use them properly. So far I love what I've learned and it's so empowering to be able to use this knowledge I have to make myself, family and friends feel better!

kamoil
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow! I have been gone for awhile (yeah, like years) and started going through some of the old threads that I started. I have been so busy getting my company going and teaching. I came across this thread. I wish I can teach EVERYONE who wants to learn about essential oils and herbs. I currently teach oils and herbs for the local college, here in North Idaho. I want to get my lessons online, and someday I'll get there.

In the meantime, go to my blog for information. www.theresanoilforthat.blogspot.com

And don't hesitate to ask questions. I would rather take the time to answer than to have you use oils wrong. I am working on a Q&A to add to my website. There is also some great unbiased information on there too. I will try not to be a stranger and check in more often!!

JayE
11-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have just started using some essential oils. I'm intrigued and hopeful, but the jury is still out for me on how effective they are.