PDA

View Full Version : Herb gardens?

prairiemom
06-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I finally got my garden completely planted last week, in between family visiting and LOTS of rain (we need a tired gardener smilie here). Now while I'm just waiting for everything to grow (Grow NOW! Hurry up! GROW! :willy_nilly: ) I'm thinking about an herb garden I'd like to start next year. I've got a nice sunny location chosen and put down some black plastic to kill the sod underneath.

So, what are the top 6-8 or even 10 herbs you would recommend? I'm thinking mostly medicinal herbs, or other use. I already plant all the culinary herbs I use in my veggie garden. I'm in USDA Zone 4 (borderline, just 5-10 yrs ago this was considered Zone 3.) TIA

mirkwood
06-12-2008, 03:35 PM
We have sage and cilantro in our garden.

goldilocks
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I planted tyme, rosemary , spearmint and peppermint, Oregano, basil, , cilantro and parsely so far.

Just have them all over the yard not all in one place.

mirkwood
06-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I just remembered I have chives as well.

level3Navigator
06-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I recommend you place all mint in it's own container since if you don't do this, it WILL take over your garden.

I am going to try to do the same thing, just as soon as I get my waterline in (the trench for the line is dug, finally -- very rocky soil. Thank heaven's for pick axes and metal pry tools). Here is my list:

Oregano
Italian Basil
Thai Basil
Thai Lemon grass
Flat Parsley
Curly Parsley
Cilantro
Rosemary
Thyme
Lavender
Garlic Chives
Spearmint
Peppermint
Tobacco
And a few more I'm too lazy to go see what I have...

I'm also harvesting dandelion -- leaves for salads, roots (roasted) for tea. No, I don't want any of yours. I have more than a year's supply over here, thanks.

Toni
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
So, what are the top 6-8 or even 10 herbs you would recommend? I'm thinking mostly medicinal herbs, or other use. I already plant all the culinary herbs I use in my veggie garden. I'm in USDA Zone 4 (borderline, just 5-10 yrs ago this was considered Zone 3.) TIA

We are zone 7 according to the book my daughter is looking at, so you're colder than us. I tried rosemary last year but it died over the winter (too cold) so if you wanted that, it would have to be a house plant.

Well, here's my list. I don't grow them all, though:
comfrey (traditionally heals bones, skin)
mint (grows about anywhere) (traditionally helps upset stomachs, depression, repels mosquitoes)
cayenne (circulation, stops bleeding)
valerian (a little for stress, more for pain)
red raspberry (children, women, female organs, pregnancy)
horsetail/shavegrass (calcium - actually, it's silica but it helps calcium so I understand and it helps bones)
queen of the meadow/gravel root/joe pye weed (excellent for kidneys/bladders especially if infected)
lobelia (emetic, in case someone ate something bad and needs to throw up)
catnip (baby's belly ache, relaxing)
black cohosh (brings on labor)
wormwood (worms, insect repellent)
I made a list of my top herbs several times and can't remember them right now, but I think the above list is pretty close.