PDA

View Full Version : cabbage soup

cHeroKee
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
cabbage soup <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> 1/2 bushel of tomatoes chopped
1/2 bushel of carrots chopped
4 heads of cabbage shredded
1 large bunch of celery
8 ripe peppers chopped
You can add parsley if you want.
salt

Place veggies in a large kettle. Adding just enough water to barely cover and bring to a boil.
Pack in hot jars, adding 1 teaspoon of salt to each jar. Process for 35 minutes at 10 pound pressure.

Add about 5 pounds of browned hamburger,more or less, most of the time a little more. [brown it good, then rinse it.]
then add about a peck of onions, from the garden. this is wonderful and will make a lot . you will get close to 50 quarts. now feel free to add more tomatoes, some times I do. This makes a good rich soup, that every one loves. really tasty. You can do it all in one big batch.
When you add the hamburger, then you process this for 1 hour, and 30 minutes, at 10 pound pressure.

prairiemom
06-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks--I'm going to need this. I have way more cabbage planted than I really need.

phylm
06-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Prairiemom: I shred my extra cabbage and dehydrate it. It is great as an addition to soups and stews, and can be reconstituted for coleslaw by soaking it in cold water for a bit. I made coleslaw from 30 year old cabbage for a church "disaster dinner," and got raves on it. (I added raisins to it.)

goldilocks
06-23-2008, 07:27 AM
We add canned red kidney beans to our soup as well.