PDA

View Full Version : "Quarantine won't be used in case of a pandemic" says Mike Leavitt, US Secretary of Health and Human Services

fwiw
08-18-2008, 11:44 PM
In the below youtube you can watch the "California Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Summit" (Part I) where Gov. Swartzenger, Mike Leavitt, and a very interesting panel of medical professionals and experts from around the state of California discuss their intentions for preparing Calif. for a possible avian-flu pandemic.

During the discussion phase Mike Leavitt states that a general quarantine is not being considered as part of the preparedness preparations advocated by the Federal Govt., because it doesn't work. Instead he said they are opting for limiting the contact people have with one another (sort of a mask-wearing mobility). The obvious exceptions being at seaports and airports.

I was shocked to hear him say this, particularly as he is going around the country meeting with the governors and signing pledges of cooperation between national and local govt. on this issue. IOW the states will follow Leavitt's lead on this.

This stance is also contrary to that put forward by his own Church, as described in the BYU Idaho Pandemic Preparedness webpages and in other places. I am not blaming him for not being able to put forth the agenda of the Church while in his calling as a Federal official...it's just that I think it would have been entirely appropriate for him to have slipped some of his own thoughts and feelings in on the subject while he was at it...but he did not. After all, his job offers him the opportunity to contribute greatly to the planning on this subject.

A final reason for my alarm is because the federal agency, the Department of Homeland Security, has specifically CALLED for the voluntary 3-month self-quarantine of people and families, should a pandemic break out. It seems these two federal branches are at odds with one another in their statements on how individuals and states ought to prepare for this possible future disaster.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtmjTXm2Ng&feature=related

Cowboy
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Very interesting. The State of Utah is going to quarantine and close the borders to all interstate trucking and traffic.

mirkwood
08-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I call BS on Leavitt's statement. I don't believe that will be the case.

Where did you get that info Cowboy?

fwiw
08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I have it from a friend in St. George that utility workers there plan to quarantine inside the facilities in order to keep them going. If true, it seems to be a very smart move for Utah.

I don't know how or why Leavitt is advocating for something that is directly against what is called for by the DHS. Don't they know what is in their own documents?

LoudmouthMormon
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
a general quarantine is not being considered
Instead he said they are opting for limiting the contact people have with one anotherIsn't that sort of like saying we won't combat America's obesity by having people lose weight, we'll do it by having people engage in healthy diets and exercise?

I thought "limiting the contact people have with one another" was the friggin' DEFINITION of quarantine.
:o11:

LM

Kapriel
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Probably they don't think it can be done, so they are thinking about what else they can do.

I'd prefer to voluntarily quarantine. Seems the Church is interested in getting people, not just LDS, to save food. They sent a general press release last week saying LDS people ought to use multi media outlets like youtube and etc. to share food storage stories, info, tips, etc. with the world.

Toni
10-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm a little late in seeing this, but this explains why the church recommends a three month supply. They must be seriously concerned about a pandemic of some kind. A three months supply of water also for those who have to haul their drinking water? (Maybe we should invest in a water filtration/purification system).

signseeker
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
How would a 'general quarantine' be carried out? Send in the militia? I mean, how can you force someone to stay put in their homes/apt's... especially if they have no supplies there?

A self-imposed quarantine is a whole different matter, I think.

hmscarrie
10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
They sent a general press release last week saying LDS people ought to use multi media outlets like youtube and etc. to share food storage stories, info, tips, etc. with the world.
I've heard of that recommendation but not seen the source of it. Do you know a source?

waif69
10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I thought "limiting the contact people have with one another" was the friggin' DEFINITION of quarantine.
:o11:

The way I read it is, a quarantine is 100% limitation, while limiting contact is not.

Max140
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM
As I understand it...when the health department or other governmental agency quarantines someone or a group of people they are responsible for the support of the quarantined individuals. So the government and the church are avocating a Self Imposed Reverse Quarantine. In a SIRQ, instead of quaranting the sick together you take your well family and quarantine yourselves.

The health departments will limit public contact by closing schools and public events and venues.

In 1918, the cities that limited public contact and its citizens stayed home had far fewer deaths then the other cities.

mirkwood
10-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I think it was St. Louis that opened the schools back up a couple weeks to early and started the cycle over again. When in doubt, SIRQ a week or two longer. The moment I get verified news of any sort of pandemic happening, my kids will be removed from school on the spot and not return for quite a while.

signseeker
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
The 1918 flu was the reason for Saturday Night Thoughts, mainly written by Matthias Cowley and Orson F. Whitney. The Sunday "message" came in the newspaper on Saturday cuz there were no church meetings. In fact, Joseph F. Smith did not have a public funeral... people waved out there windows at the procession...

Toni
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
A self-imposed quarantine would definitely work best.