PDA

View Full Version : Plague Quotes

mirkwood
09-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 15, p. 193-195, October 8, 1872.
?I refer to a revelation given in the year 1833, called the Word of Wisdom. We fail to obey it today, and we shall fail tomorrow unless we make a short turn and determine in our own minds that we will obey it. How many of us have disregarded that revelation, in every particular? It is to be found on page 240 of the Doctrine and Covenants, and it shadows to me that a time will come in the midst of this people when a desolating scourge will pass through our ranks, and the destroying angel will be in our midst as he was in Egypt when he slew all the firstborn of the Egyptians. God says ?The destroying angel shall pass by? and shall not harm you if you will observe to do these things. Now if we believe this revelation, and I take it for granted that we do, though I may choose to doubt in my own case and some others, yet I assume that as a people we believe it; but what assurance have we that that angel will pass us by unless we do observe it? No more than the children of Israel would have had if they had failed to mark their doors and lintels with the blood of a lamb, as Moses had commanded them. What effect would a failure to comply with this commandment have had on them? Would the Destroyer have passed by the firstborn of Israel? I know not; I think the firstborn of Israel would have been slain as well as the first born of Egypt. That was a revelation given by the Lord to Moses for the salvation of Israel; the Word of Wisdom is a revelation given by the Lord to Joseph Smith for the salvation of this people, and if we disobey we have no more assurance than Israel had that the destroying angel will pass through our ranks and leave us unscathed.?

Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, ?Signs of the Times?, p. 725.
?Despite medical advances, people are to suffer from diseases, plagues, and pestilences of undreamed proportions in the last days. . . .New and unheard of diseases will attack the human system . . .The plagues and pestilences of the past will be as nothing compared to what is yet to be.?

Toni
10-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 15, p. 193-195, October 8, 1872.
?How many of us have disregarded that revelation, in every particular? It is to be found on page 240 of the Doctrine and Covenants, and it shadows to me that a time will come in the midst of this people when a desolating scourge will pass through our ranks, and the destroying angel will be in our midst as he was in Egypt when he slew all the firstborn of the Egyptians. God says ?The destroying angel shall pass by? and shall not harm you if you will observe to do these things. Now if we believe this revelation, and I take it for granted that we do, though I may choose to doubt in my own case and some others, yet I assume that as a people we believe it; but what assurance have we that that angel will pass us by unless we do observe it? No more than the children of Israel would have had if they had failed to mark their doors and lintels with the blood of a lamb, as Moses had commanded them. What effect would a failure to comply with this commandment have had on them? Would the Destroyer have passed by the firstborn of Israel? I know not; I think the firstborn of Israel would have been slain as well as the first born of Egypt. That was a revelation given by the Lord to Moses for the salvation of Israel; the Word of Wisdom is a revelation given by the Lord to Joseph Smith for the salvation of this people, and if we disobey we have no more assurance than Israel had that the destroying angel will pass through our ranks and leave us unscathed.?

Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, ?Signs of the Times?, p. 725.
?Despite medical advances, people are to suffer from diseases, plagues, and pestilences of undreamed proportions in the last days. . . .New and unheard of diseases will attack the human system . . .The plagues and pestilences of the past will be as nothing compared to what is yet to be.?

This is pretty sobering. Part of the word of wisdom says to eat meat sparingly and "fruit" in season. Considering how our meat is adulterated by antibiotics, drugs, fear hormones, etc. and how our "fresh" produce is adulterated via GMO, pesticides, irradiation, etc. I would say our health is already being broken down. If we could/would grow our own food (including animals) we would be obeying the word more fully I think.

But what about storing our food? Drying food or putting it in a root cellar is natural but bottling it is not? Does this fall under the category of "fruit in season" or not? It seems to me that it does not but if you are doing it yourself with your own produce it would be safer to eat would it not?

signseeker
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I think we are supposed to store up for the winter, whatever methods we use... I mean, "fruit in its season" ... when else are you going to get the fruit? We can't gorge on all the cherries in a couple weeks, you know. (I mean, we *can* but it's not pretty.)

But I would definitely agree that the more food we ourselves grow and "put up" the better!:thumbup1: