PDA

View Full Version : These are recipes fixed during the depression

cHeroKee
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
These are recipes fixed during the depression!

Wilted lettuce

1 large bowl of fresh clean garden picked lettuce pieces
8 slices of bacon fried and crumbled. {more if you like}
1 small onion diced small
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons sugar

Break lettuces into a large bowl and salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients to bacon fat in frying pan. {use not more than 4 tablespoons of the bacon fat} Bring this to a boil stirring constantly, pour over the lettuce, toss lightly with salad fork and spoon until the lettuce is wilted.

Layer Cake Salad

Tomato Layer

2 tablespoons gelatin
3 cups tomato juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon onion juice
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
few grains pepper

Cucumber Layer

1 package lemon flavored gelatin
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoons green peppers, chopped fine
5 tablespoons cucumbers, chopped fine

Soak plain gelatin in 1/4 cup tomato juice. Scald 3/4 cup tomato juice and add to gelatin, stir until dissolved. Add remaining tomato juice and other ingredients in the tomato LAYER group. Pour 1 1/2 cups into round or oblong loaf pan which has first been rinsed in cold water; allow to set. Prepare lemon flavored gelatin according to directions on package. Add salt and vinegar. Chill in refrigerator until mixture begins to stiffen. Add the chopped peppers and cucumbers. Pour this mixture on top of tomato gelatin in mold; allow this layer to set. When this mixture is firm enough to hold another layer, pour remaining tomato juice mixture over it. Place again in the refrigerator until very firm. When ready to serve unmold "layer Cake" on serving tray or platter, "Frost" with mayonnaise and decorate with sliced stuffed olives. Surround with chicory or other salad greens.

.................................................. ......................................

Cottage Cheese Salad

1 package lime jello
1 3/4 cup boiling water
pinch salt
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cottage cheese
1 small onion, chopped fine

let set until beginning to gel in refrigerator. Then remove and whip the mix Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 small onion chopped fine and 1 cup cottage cheese. return to a mold and place in the refrigerator covered until firm and ready to serve.

Vegetable Aspic Salad

1 box knoz's gelatine soaked in a little cold water
1/2 pint boiling water
1/2 pint iced water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 small can pimentos
3 green peppers
2 bunches celery, all chopped fine
2 cups cabbage, cut fine with slaw cutter

Mix all the above ingredients together, and pour into mold. Cover and place in refrigerator

Waldorf Salad

2 cups apples diced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced oranges
1/4 cup sliced dates
2/3 cup chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
mayonnaise dressing

Marinate apples in lemon juice. Add celery, oranges, dates, nuts, salt, and sugar. moisten with mayonnaise. Mix lightly with 2 forks, serve on lettuce leaf. for individual salads, by each plate.

Depression Salad

1 can yellow hominy, drained
1 can black eyed peas, drained
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
1/4 cup cooking oil, optional
1/4 cup vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the above ingredients together and serve hot or cold.

Pineapple Salad

6 slices pineapple, cut in dices
3 tablespoons pimento, cut fine
2 cups marshmallows, cut in small pieces
1 cup pecans, chopped, but not to fine.
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipped cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix pineapple and pimentos thoroughly together and let stand several hours, then just before serving, mix nuts, marshmallows, and cream

Perfection Salad

2 tablespoons gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup mild vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 cup boiling water
1 cup ginger ale
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
2 cups celery, cut in small pieces
2 pimientos or 1/4 cup red or green peppers, cut in small pieces

Soak gelatin in cold water, add boiling water, then vinegar, ginger ale, lemon juice and salt. Strain and when mixture starts to thicken, add remaining ingredients. Turn into a lightly greased mold and chill. Serve on lettuce and garnish with mayonnaise.

jettsmom
06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
We love wilted lettuce. I grew up on that. I have a couple bags of lettuce from the garden and will be making that this weekend.

Earthling
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
So that's where my MIL got those "interesting" recipes she made from! I have a depression era chocolate cake recipe that doesn't use eggs which is really good if anyone wants it!

Lucy
06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
So that's where my MIL got those "interesting" recipes she made from! I have a depression era chocolate cake recipe that doesn't use eggs which is really good if anyone wants it!

Please share. I'm pretty sure that eggs will be in short supply for some of us.

NRA
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
So that's where my MIL got those "interesting" recipes she made from! I have a depression era chocolate cake recipe that doesn't use eggs which is really good if anyone wants it!Can you just post it here?

Earthling
06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
This cake is pretty good and doesn't use butter, eggs or milk. On a recipe site it was given 4 stars out of 5. It is also easy to mix up without lots of steps.

Chocolate Crazy Cake

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix all ingredients and pour in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 27-32 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Frost with your favorite frosting.

jettsmom
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
That cake is so yummy. We had that all the time when I was growing up.

Kashida
07-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I grew up on that cake too! Not only was it yummy, it was fun to make! I don't know why but my mom, after she mixed up all the dry ingredients, would spread it in the pan and then make 3 troughs in powder. Then she would pour the water in one trough, the oil in another and the vinegar in the third before she would then mix it all up in the pan. She said it was very important to do it that way but I don't ever recall asking why or hearing why. I think it was either something she learned from her mom (remember the story of the lady who always cut the end off of her roast before she roasted it) or she did it for the entertainment value :D

But on a side note: One can use flax seed goo as an egg replacer. Grind up some flax seed (not in your wheat grinder but in a coffee grinder - flax is too oily and will gum up your wheat grinder).

1 TBS flax seed meal + 3 TBS water = 1 egg.

Heat or nuke the mixture until it has the consistency of egg white.

You can use this in baking. I have also used it for breading things and pancakes. I don't know if it will work for French toast but I think it would.

arbilad
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Bump