PDA

View Full Version : Grain Burgers

cHeroKee
10-11-2008, 09:08 AM
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Veggie burger recipe, easily adaptable. Has a nice texture, not mushy like some.

1 C brown rice, cooked
1 C diced or shredded veggies, your choice (I love portabello mushrooms, onions and carrots...put zucchini in today just cause I had some to use up, you can be as creative as you like)
1/3 C cornmeal
1/3 C wheat germ
1/3 C rolled oats
1 egg, beaten
1T soy sauce
salt/pepper to taste

mix dry stuff, mix wet stuff, mix it all together. Shape into patties (using one of those burger stamper thingys works great). Fry in a little oil on low med/low heat until lightly browned on both sides. Can be frozen, but thaw a little before frying.

stripe
10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the recipie. Is there something that can be used instead of an egg. I do a vegan diet.
thanks,
stripe

Dolcezza
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
hello, what is the role of cornmeal in this recipe? can it be substituted with something else? thanks!

cHeroKee
10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
hello, what is the role of cornmeal in this recipe? can it be substituted with something else? thanks!

NON-GLUTEN ALTERNATIVE, taste and texture. As opposed to 1/3-1/2 cup whole wheat flour.

cHeroKee
10-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the recipie. Is there something that can be used instead of an egg. I do a vegan diet.
thanks,
stripe
Need to find something to "stick" the ingredients together. Cornstarch maybe?

FollowTruth
10-13-2008, 01:39 AM
thanks,
stripe

FLAX GOO

(A Handy Egg Replacement)

Once you get past the name it's a terrific idea! What a wonderful addition to anyone's food storage for those times when fresh eggs may not be easily available or when running to the store would be inconvenient. Also, think of all the baking possibilities this opens up for those with egg allergies.

For a several 'egg' batch -

COMBINE:
1/4 C freshly ground flax seed
3/4 C warm water
Blend at high speed for 20-30 seconds*

Cover in airtight container and store in refrigerator.

For a single 'egg' batch -

COMBINE:
1 TB ground flax seed
3 TB warm water
Blend at high speed for 20-30 seconds*

TO USE:
1/4 C of flax goo for each egg needed in your recipe

Use these 'eggs' in your baking. They also work well in smoothies. Yummy and fiber-full!

*DON'T let this sit in your blender and don't let your blender sit without washing it after you've removed the goo. If you forget and leave it I bet you only forget once!

Dolcezza
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok, I am thick, so do you mean that I can use flour instead of corn meal? This would mean that cornmeal was just used as a thickener, correct?
Thanks again!:sleephappy:

cHeroKee
10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, I am thick, so do you mean that I can use flour instead of corn meal? This would mean that cornmeal was just used as a thickener, correct?
Thanks again!:sleephappy:
1) Yes, you can use flour.
2) Cornmeal taste different than wheat flour.
3) Both the cornmeal or wheat flour is a "filler" for the burger but I guess you can look at it as a thickener too.

Banjo Picker
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
<HR style="COLOR: rgb(209,209,225); BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(209,209,225)" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Veggie burger recipe, easily adaptable. Has a nice texture, not mushy like some.

1 C brown rice, cooked
1 C diced or shredded veggies, your choice (I love portabello mushrooms, onions and carrots...put zucchini in today just cause I had some to use up, you can be as creative as you like)
1/3 C cornmeal
1/3 C wheat germ
1/3 C rolled oats
1 egg, beaten
1T soy sauce
salt/pepper to taste

mix dry stuff, mix wet stuff, mix it all together. Shape into patties (using one of those burger stamper thingys works great). Fry in a little oil on low med/low heat until lightly browned on both sides. Can be frozen, but thaw a little before frying.

Another recipe that my wife and I really enjoy, plus the family history ladies in the ward building where I clean.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats or 9-grain
3/4 cup sugar, or honey or molasses or evap. cane juice
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon or vanilla, etc
1/2 tsp. salt
i cup milk or soy beverage or Almond Breeze
1tbsp. butter or olive oil or coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten
I often add ground up flax, sesame and sunflower seeds. Also I sometimes add one to two cups apple sauce or two large apples, blended, or canned or frozen pumpkin (Use pumpkin pie spice.) my favorite, or pineapple, or canned apricots, or plums. I have tried all with much success.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40--46 minutes. Serve with milk on it.