PDA

View Full Version : How about a good bean dish?

Cowboy
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone have a good whistle berry recipe? I love beans.

mrs_thermocouple
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I have probably the simplest in the world. Put pre-soaked white beans in a crock pot w/a small ham, ham bone or ham hock. Put in enough water depending on how soupy you want it and lots of black pepper. Cook all day. I'm not a big bean eater, but these are good!

NRA
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I have probably the simplest in the world. Put pre-soaked white beans in a crock pot w/a small ham, ham bone or ham hock. Put in enough water depending on how soupy you want it and lots of black pepper. Cook all day. I'm not a big bean eater, but these are good!

My mom used to make something very similar to this when I was a kid. Great stuff, and I miss it (and my mom). Thanks for posting that. I have plenty of white beans, I guess I'm going to have to try it out.

mrs_thermocouple
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Let me know if you guys try it and like it. I actually got it from my Mom and thought it sounded BLAH. But it's not!

Abinadi
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I love to put black turtle beans in the dutch oven and cook em up. I saute onions, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers and whatever else looks good and add that to the pot when the beans are half cooked...I add cumin and tamari sauce as well. I cook to taste. Its a give and taste meal.
When this pot goes to potlucks it comes home empty.

Abinadi

texasgal
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I found a great bean recipe.

Pinto Beans

Sort and soak 1 lb of pinto beans overnight. Drain off water. Rinse and fill pan with beans with 2 quarts of water. Cook for 2 hours, then add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped jalapenos, 2 tablespoons salt, and 2 teaspoons of pepper and 1 pound of bacon, cut into small pieces. Cook on low for a couple of hours more. Great with cornbread! :yummie:

Lucy
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I bet all the beans would taste better with a little cat jerk in them

phylm
04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
My grandmother's New England baked beans: 2 or 3 (depending on size of your baking pot) cups of white beans. (My grandmother always used Soldier Beans, but nearly impossible to get now, so I use the Great Northern White.) Soak in cold water over night. In morning simmer for an hour or two. Drain and put in baking crock. Add a chunk of lean bacon; 1 tsp. salt; pepper; 2 or 3 T. of maple syrup, molasses, or brown sugar; and a pinch of dry mustard powder. May also add an onion cut in 1/8ths. Add hot water up to top of beans. Put on lid and place in 350 degree oven for 6-8 hours. Stir and check level of water occasionally. Add BOILING water slowly and carefully, if needed. (May also use iron dutch oven instead of pottery cookpot.)

prairiemom
04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I teach an adult education class 3X year on cooking with beans. It's very popular. In fact, so popular that they asked me to come up with Bean Cuisine Part 2. I'm going to try to attach the cookbook that I use for the class. It has a couple deserts in it, several dips and lots of main dishes. My favorites are Feijoada (Brazillian black beans) and Greek Lentil Soup.

The cookbook is designed to print the pages back to back and folded in half, like a book.

When I get the cookbook for Part 2 finished I'll post that. It includes curry lentil salad (using sprouted lentils), a spice cake and toasted fava beans.

dlcorrell
05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
mrs. thermo, your little sister calls this prison stew. It really is very yummy. She loves it but it does look like prison stew.

donna

goldilocks
06-01-2008, 08:34 AM
White beans and ham in our neck of the woods is called Navy beans.
I think they are a bit bland so like to spice up with vegggies , onions . salt and pepper . My Husbands family puts ketchup in after they are served.

Also love it with cornbread !!! Yum

lurker
06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Beans require a long cooking time. In an environment where utilities may be offline and fuel is scarce, cooking time could be a real issue. Besides presoaking overnight, are there any ways to speed up bean preparation?

sunsinger
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Beans require a long cooking time. In an environment where utilities may be offline and fuel is scarce, cooking time could be a real issue. Besides presoaking overnight, are there any ways to speed up bean preparation?
I understand that beans can be cooked in the pressure cooker without soaking. Is this true?

goldilocks
06-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes they can we only do them that way as it saves so much time. My hubby is the pro at that not me.

sunsinger
06-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I teach an adult education class 3X year on cooking with beans. It's very popular. In fact, so popular that they asked me to come up with Bean Cuisine Part 2. I'm going to try to attach the cookbook that I use for the class. It has a couple deserts in it, several dips and lots of main dishes. My favorites are Feijoada (Brazillian black beans) and Greek Lentil Soup.

The cookbook is designed to print the pages back to back and folded in half, like a book.

When I get the cookbook for Part 2 finished I'll post that. It includes curry lentil salad (using sprouted lentils), a spice cake and toasted fava beans.

Thanks for the cook book.
On the first page you have a section that starts:

Bean Information
1 Cup of most dried beans = 2 – 2 _ cups cooked beans.

Could you clarify the part in purple for me? I don't think it opened properly on my computer.

Also
Bishop’s Bean Chili
_ C parsley flakes

Vegetarian Bishop’s Bean Soup
_ C long grain rice
_ C molasses

Fejoada (Brazilian Black Beans)
2 C Black beans—soak overnight

In a saucepan, saut? in olive oil:
_ C Chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced

_ tsp. Salt (to taste)
_ tsp pepper

Minestrone

1 _ C dry navy beans
3 oz. fine egg noodles (1 _ C)
tsp dried sage
_ tsp pepper
Add carrots, cover and simmer 2 _ -3 hrs.

Chalupa
_ C chopped onion

Chili

1 lb hamburger
_ C chopped onion
_ green pepper, chopped

Cocoa Lentil Cake

_ C sugar
_ C oil
_ tsp vanilla
_ tsp baking soda

SPLIT PEA, HAM & VEGETABLE SOUP
1 _ - 2 C ham diced,
_ lb split peas, washed (1 –1 _ C)

_ tsp pepper
1 _ - 2 C chopped cabbage

Hamburger Vegetable Lentil Soup
_ C chopped onion
_ tsp pepper

If all of the underscore lines above are 1/2, then I will assume the remainder of the underscores are also 1/2.

Thank you

prairiemom
06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Oops! I think this is a font problem--they are all fractions. Perhaps the fonts don't translate well when I attach here?

Bean Information
1 Cup of most dried beans = 2 ? 2 1/2 cups cooked beans.

Also
Bishop?s Bean Chili
1/4 C parsley flakes

Vegetarian Bishop?s Bean Soup
1/2 C long grain rice
1/4 C molasses

Fejoada (Brazilian Black Beans)
2 C Black beans?soak overnight

In a saucepan, saut? in olive oil:
3/4 C Chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. Salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper

Minestrone

1 1/2 C dry navy beans
3 oz. fine egg noodles (1 1/2 C)
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp pepper
Add carrots, cover and simmer 2 1/2 -3 hrs.

Chalupa
1/2 C chopped onion

Chili

1 lb hamburger
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 green pepper, chopped

Cocoa Lentil Cake

3/4 C sugar
1/4 C oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking soda

SPLIT PEA, HAM & VEGETABLE SOUP
1 1/2 - 2 C ham diced,
1/2 lb split peas, washed (1 ?1 1/2 C)

1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 - 2 C chopped cabbage

Hamburger Vegetable Lentil Soup
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 tsp pepper

Yes, I always use a pressure cooker. The beans go from dry to cooked in 25-35 min, depending on the size and age of the bean. That's even faster than cooking beans that you soak overnight. For the pressure cooker, I use 1:3, beans:water.

I've attached my Bean Cuisine Part 2 cookbook. The class is so popular that they asked me to do a second class. This one will focus more on meatless cooking (I think I only have one recipe in that one that uses meat--the BEST white chili recipe I've every tasted.) This is a rough draft, so please let me know if you find typos or glaring problems. My next class isn't until this Oct, so I welcome any suggestions you have.

Dolcezza
06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
if you have a wheat grinder you can use bean flour to add in soups!

LoudmouthMormon
06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Sort and soak 1 lb of pinto beans overnight. Drain off water. Rinse and fill pan with beans with 2 quarts of water. Cook for 2 hours, then add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped jalapenos, 2 tablespoons salt, and 2 teaspoons of pepper and 1 pound of bacon, cut into small pieces. Cook on low for a couple of hours more. Great with cornbread! :yummie:
I've never made beans before in my life. I followed texasgal's recipe because it looked so simple. Kids were going to eat it, so I skipped on the jalapenos. We had ham instead of bacon.

We also used food storage pinto beans that had been sitting at room temperature in an unsealed #10 can since 2002, so we had to do that last step for an extra 3 hours. But it worked just fine!

This forum helps me rotate my food storage. You'se good joes.

LM

Cowboy
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Beans are good!

http://www.ldsglo.com/images/beans.wmv

Babbi-Dan
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a bad case of indigestion just watching this guy eat!

constable01
06-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Ah yes, "Beans, Beans, the magical fruit, the magical fruit that makes you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so why not beans for every meal?!":a0 (7):

LoudmouthMormon
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
FYI, this thread tops the list for most useful and practical thread I've ever encountered in my life. I've made stuff from this thread probably two dozen times or more over the years. I will often hook the computer up to our stereo and blast Cowboy's video through the house, to let the family know that daddy is cooking beans.

Love my cast iron, love my crockpot. Maybe I'll get adventurous and get a pressure cooker one of these days.

Morgan
07-24-2011, 06:17 PM

If you soak your beans overnight, then rinse them in the morning, let them sit all day, and rinse them again at night, then one more day like that, they will be ready to cook on the third day and will cook as quickly as most vegetables.

I use this method as often as I can, as it supposedly increases the health value of the beans, and eliminates the gas problem. It's a little more time intensive obviously, but if you were low on fuel it would be ideal. You can also eat them raw with this method.

incorrigible
11-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Most of my family has blood sugar issues, and the food pyramid is a recipe for diabetes, for us. So, we substitute beans for pastas in a lot of our favorite dishes.

We call this Spaghetti Stew. It's always a big hit at pot lucks. It makes us dinner for 2 nights, plus enough for the teenagers and their friends to "snack" for 1-2 days (depending how many of their friends are hanging around those days). It freezes well, and is even tastier after it's been heated and cooled a couple times.

soak about half a pound each of black beans and red kidney beans over night.

when it's time to make dinner, saute up about 2lbs of ground meat (beef, venison, whatever) along with 2 - 4 chopped onions.

while that's sauteing, chop (into thick, bite sized pieces) about 1 lb each of mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant (we skip this because ds is allergic, but it goes well), and anything else you think will go well in an Italian-ish dish. Throw it all in a huge pot with 1 - 2 jars of pre-made spaghetti sauce, the beans (strained and rinsed), and a packet of taco seasoning. When the meat is browned, add that. Stir occasionally until it's hot and bubbly. About 5 minutes before you serve, stir in 1 - 2 lbs of chopped tomatoes.

iggy
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
. You can also eat them raw with this method.

Pinto, Navy, Kidney, Great Northern beans, black, etc. must be cooked. The body can not digest them raw.

CurtisG
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Incorrigible, Maybe i can get my wife to make that, i have been missing pasta since i went gluten free. (we have some gluten free pasta but havent tried it yet)

LEVE
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
if you have a wheat grinder you can use bean flour to add in soups! The Church Cannery's Refried Beans are great to use this way. You can grind them finer, or leave 'em as is and they are mighty tasty when added to soups, chilies, etc..

phylm
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
"if you have a wheat grinder you can use bean flour to add in soups!"

You may add bean flour to your wheat flour to make a complete protein. During one ol my prep classes, our RS president brought in a batch of cookies made with a bean/wheat flour mixture. They were good. I held one up and said: "See, sisters! A complete protein! We can live on chocolate chip cookies!"

JenJen
12-01-2012, 12:45 AM
http://www.sogeshirts.com/images/shirt%20images/cheap%20gas%20bean%20burrito%20t-shirt.gif