PDA

View Full Version : Recipe ideas for the 3-month supply

signseeker
11-04-2008, 01:53 AM
So, thinking about the 3-month supply we're supposed to have of more "normal" meals... anyone got any good ideas?

I'm thinking soups and bread, spaghetti, Hawaiian haystacks...of course, with no tomatoes. Or celery or green peppers, either. :001_unsure: Hmm.... I guess fresh produce would be out altogether...

waif69
11-04-2008, 06:56 AM
You can add sprouts to your list, you can keep them growing in a jar continuously.

Julie
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
I have a cook book that is out of print but I think you can find copies on ebay for a few bucks that is called "What Shall We Eat Today?" by Jardine. It was written in the 50's and the recipes are pretty basic. It gives you a list of all the staple foods you should have on hand and how much per month you would use. It gives a menu and recipe of all three meals of the day. At the start of each month it gives a grocery list of food you'd need for the month. All you need to do is add all the monthly lists up and you'd have the recipes, menus, and food list for a whole year.
Another hint for three month food supply is to get soups, spaghetti stuff, and your family's favorites for three months. Walmart has soups and stuff for a good price.

Aldon
11-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I bought an extra deep freezer, a commerciasl grade type, upon the Prophet's request that we store 3 months of everything we normally would eat. I plan on filling it with lots of ice cream, waffles and other luxuries....along with meat of course :) I also decided to start raising rabbits for meat production again. I now have 6 months supply of feed on hand as well. This is in case we lose power during that three month period for some reason and therefore a unprecedented feast due to all the thawed meat that will be in every home...

The rabbits are also my long term fall back plan should we get to severe depression or hyper inflation. They are self generating barter fodder.

I also chose a breed that is ideal for fur production as well.

As for what meals, they will be the very same ones I would normally have. Tomatoes are stored in the number 10 cans from Cosco, so spaghetti is a main stay of the diet as it normally is.

Once the three months is over, a transition will have to start into use of the long term storage stuffs but we have tried to store spices and other items to augment the standard grains etc..

And the stake put out a 1.5 inch thick cookbook which is focused on using the standard storage items.

The Wheat chocolate chip cookies were awesome.

I have stored about 65 pounds of chocolate chips..

There will be sacrifices for sure should it ever come to a disaster that requires dependence on my storage completely but one must have their priorities in order! :) lots of deserts!

rhiamom
03-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I like to keep a few of the smallest canned hams in my pantry. I can get 12 oz ones, a good size for just the two of us. I get two main meals from each one. I can use it to make mac and cheese and to add to bean and pea soups, with enough left over for the luxury of grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Also good in omelets, or just plain fried up for dinner. Or over spaghetti with an alfredo sauce and canned mushrooms.

Earthling
03-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Hawaiian haystacks...of course, with no tomatoes. Or celery or green peppers, either...

Signseeker- they're not Hawaiian Haystacks without those goodies. It is just rice with soup on top.

This note brought to you by the resident food snob. :l0 (54):

Earthling
03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I posted this also in another thread on Wendy DeWitt's food storage plan. Attached is her system including recipes for figuring out a two week meal plan and the needed storage items to make the recipes.

LarnaE
03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Because of some financial difficulty we are going to have to cut our food budget by about 60% and so I am going to have to learn to use my food storage a little better. It will be interesting. The only thing I am buying at the store are milk and eggs and cheese the rest will be all from my food storage. This will be a good education for the whole family.

LarnaE
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
This is what I made this morning for breadfast. I kinda made it up as I went along.

Muffins
I blended 3 cups of oats in the blender with some milk
I put that into a mixing bowl.
I added 2 cups homemade applesause and 1/2 cup oil
I put in 1 cup brown sugar
1 teas baking power
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1 teas salt
Allspice
cinnamon

I cooked it at 415deg. for about 14 min.

They are pretty good. At least my kids are eating them.

signseeker
03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I feel your pain! I'm really going to have to start PLANNING better. I find if I don't plan, things get expensive real fast.

Gosh, Larna - you're not buying any produce? Hurry up, gardening weather!! I'd like to hear what you come up with and what meals you are using. (It's so much easier to copy someone else's good ideas than come up with your own. :biggrin (2):)

Earthling- You know what's funny, is that ALL my kids just love the rice with soup on top. I can't believe how much the 2yo can put away of that stuff. And they would eat it two or three days in a row! Macey's has some family-sized Campbell's soup on for $1.50, but unfortunately Cr. of Chicken wasn't one of them.

LarnaE
03-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I feel your pain! I'm really going to have to start PLANNING better. I find if I don't plan, things get expensive real fast.

Gosh, Larna - you're not buying any produce? Hurry up, gardening weather!! I'd like to hear what you come up with and what meals you are using. (It's so much easier to copy someone else's good ideas than come up with your own. :biggrin (2):)

Earthling- You know what's funny, is that ALL my kids just love the rice with soup on top. I can't believe how much the 2yo can put away of that stuff. And they would eat it two or three days in a row! Macey's has some family-sized Campbell's soup on for $1.50, but unfortunately Cr. of Chicken wasn't one of them.

We will be eating can vegetable and I have some in my freezer. I also have some dried fruits and veggies. We will use that until the garden starts to produce. I also have good neighbors that bring me stuff. I just got a whole bunch of carrots from my neighbor. They were from his garden last summer and survived the winter.

phylm
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
We have been living on our storage for two months now. I still buy milk, eggs, and butter, saving my powdered eggs, milk and butter for harder times. We have a lot of canned and dehydrated vegetables and fruits, as well as some frozen. And, of course, here in north Florida we have our garden almost all planted, and an apple tree actually in bloom already. I'm still stocking canning jars and lids to take care of freezer food in case of a long electrical outage. We can utilize the large refrigerator and freezer in our 5th wheel for as long as the propane canisters hold out.

I'm pleased enough with our menus that I'm taking a list of the food storage meals and extras--desserts, breads, and miscellaneous, to the prep class that I'll be teaching tomorrow. So many people think that eating food storage is some kind of punishment. It is delicious.

signseeker
03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, heck! Give us some of your menus!! Sounds yummy! :l0 (37):

phylm
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Okay, let's see if I can make this work.

SAMPLE STORAGE FOOD MEALS
AND RECIPES

ENTREES*
Meat, potato, vegetable
Hamburg/gravy
Shepherd’s Pie
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Sloppy Joes
American Chop Suey
Macaroni/cheese/hamburg
German Bierrocks
BBQ Pork
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Peppers
Succotash
Corn Chowder
Fish Chowder
Bean/rice/chili
Chicken/rice/broccoli/cheese
Chicken Stew with Biscuits
Chicken/macaroni/peas/cheese
Sliced Potatoes/onions/hotdog frittata
Tuna Noodle
Stir Fry
Pizza

BREADS (yeast)

White Wheat Bread
Whole Wheat Bread
Oatmeal Bread
Raisin Bread

BREADS (quick breads/muffins)

Fruit Breads (applesauce, persimmon, plum, banana)
Corn Bread
Boston Brown Bread
Indian Pudding
Bran Muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Corn Fritters

DESSERTS
Fruit Cobblers or Shortcakes
Bread Pudding
Rice Pudding
Pies (fruit, other fillings)
Cookies
Puddings, (chocolate/vanilla)
Apple Fritters

MISCELLANEOUS
Hot Cakes (Pancakes)
Homemade syrup
Muffins
Candies
Wheat and other cereal treats
Doughnuts
Raised Doughnuts
Homemade Noodles
Crackers

*Most entrees served with vegetables,
either canned or dehydrated

signseeker
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
What are German Bierrocks? :blink:

phylm
03-14-2009, 05:24 PM
German Bierrocks: A meat pie.

Prepare a batch of yeast dough the size of one loaf of bread. Set aside to raise.

Brown one pound of hamburg (fresh, canned, or reconstituted dried) in a frying pan with one cup of chopped onion (or 2/3 cup of dry chopped onion) over medium heat. When onion is tender, add 2 cups of chopped cabbage, one tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Stir well, cover, and continue cooking over low heat until cabbage is well wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.

Divide the yeast dough in four quarters. Roll out one quarter in a square on cutting board. Slice into four equal squares. It is better not to roll dough too thick. 1/4 inch thick is about right.

Place a heaping spoonful of meat on each quarter. Take opposite points and bring across to seal to each other. Place in greased pan, sealed side down. Continue with whole batch. Bake at 350 degrees until buns are lightly browned. Rub with stick of cold butter as soon as you remove them from oven and serve hot.

Don't tell people who don't like cabbage what are in the buns. They'll love 'em. Ignorance is still bliss.

signseeker
03-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I was going to ask what a pound of "hamburg" is, but then I remembered they're GERMAN Bierrocks. That's a good one! :rofl:

Sounds dee-lish!! Me lovey cabbage, too. :thumbup: My mom used to make stuffed cabbage when I was little. I should try that.

LoudmouthMormon
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
We've used this food storage staple for quick meals for a decade now.

Soup Rice
1 can soup (we prefer Campbells Southwest Style Chicken Vegetable)
1 can water
2 cups Minute Rice

Bring soup and water to a boil. Add rice and stir in completely. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

It's quick, it's cheap, it feeds 2 adults and 2 little kids.

LM

WolfBrother
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a cook book that is out of print but I think you can find copies on ebay for a few bucks that is called "What Shall We Eat Today?" by Jardine. It was written in the 50's and the recipes are pretty basic. It gives you a list of all the staple foods you should have on hand and how much per month you would use. It gives a menu and recipe of all three meals of the day. At the start of each month it gives a grocery list of food you'd need for the month. All you need to do is add all the monthly lists up and you'd have the recipes, menus, and food list for a whole year.
Another hint for three month food supply is to get soups, spaghetti stuff, and your family's favorites for three months. Walmart has soups and stuff for a good price.

I purchased that cookbook. It's everything Julie said it is. My wife and I are looking at the pro's and con's as to whether to switch to the menu.

Other than substituting other meats for things I WILL NOT EAT like liver, having a set menu like that will make things much simpler.

Charlene
10-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Last year, I was ill for a very short time, and was feeling like I didn't want to cook. I thought of the Prophets counsel to have a 3 month supply. I've since started moving my 3 month supply to items my family could easily prepare if I were ill. They would not, could not easily cook from my long-term supplies. So, with everyone's permission :) I'd like to start posting some recipes that are part of my 3 month plans that can easily be fixed by family members. Would love to see some other ideas from you folks too. Mind you, I do can my own meat and that has made a huge difference. I also consider cheese as part of my 3 month preps because I freeze that. Here are a few to start.

Souper Crock Pot Beef

1 (3-4 lb) pot roast or 2 pint-sized jars home-canned beef
1 (11 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
1 (11 oz) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1 (11 oz) can French onion soup

Mix soups together.
Place roast in crock pot. Cover with soups.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours or just heat through if using home-canned beef

“Made this for dinner the other night with two pint-sized jars home-canned beef. Just add the beef and broth from the jar and shred the meat. Stir in the soups and heat through. Bet this would work nicely with a deer roast too. I thought it was pretty good for a really easy meal. We served it over egg noodles since that’s what I had. Would be really yummy over mashed potatoes. I think a hot beef sandwich would be good too. Consider adding a bit of red wine and rosemary or parsley. Would be delicious with mushrooms or peppers too. Completely change it up and add dehydrated potatoes, carrots, celery and make it a stew."

Pepperoncini Pot Roast

1 (3 lb) beef chuck roast or 2-3 pint jars of roast beef
2 T garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) jar sliced pepperocini peppers or hot pepper rings

To a crockpot add the roast, garlic, and the jar of pepperoncini peppers with their liquid. Cook on low for 6-12 hours or 'til warmed through if using home-canned beef. Prior to serving, remove any fat and fork-shred the meat.
Serve on French rolls or Hoagie buns.

“The long cooking time insures that the meat will be tender and practically fall apart. The original recipe suggests serving with a bit of Cheeze-Whiz on top, although I haven’t tried that. I think it would be great with a bit of provolone or mozzarella melted over the top, or maybe sprinkled with some Parmesan. Some people add a packet of Italian Salad Dressing or basil and oregano along with a can of beer and beef broth to the roast. You could add a jar of giardiniera. Serve au juice or with a horseradish sauce to dip. No muss, no fuss and delicious too. Haven’t met an adult that doesn’t LOVE this! Bet it would be good with pork as well. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, consider making it into quesadillas with all the fixings.

Crock Pot Mexican Pork - adapted from Recipezaar

1 lb boneless pork loin roast - or 2 pint jars pork roast
1 each 20 oz jar salsa
4 oz chopped green chilies, drained
15 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 C shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (optional)

To the crock pot, add the roast, salsa and chilies. Cover and cook low 6-8 hours or until tender. Shred the meat. Add the beans and cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.

If you are using the home-canned pork, I just throw the meat, salsa, chilies and beans into the crock pot to heat through. I haven't tried it with the cheese, but totally unnecessary.

Serve on tortillas, rice, or I like it over polenta.

Cheesy Chicken

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 T minced garlic or 1/4 t garlic powder for the light hearted
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
splash of cooking white wine or sherry (optional)
1 pint jar of home-canned chicken with its broth
salt and pepper to taste
Mix together and heat through. Good over pasta, rice, potatoes, biscuits.

Lemon Chicken Soup

46 oz can chicken broth
10 3/4 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 C uncooked rice
1 pint home-canned chicken breast with broth
1/4 C lemon juice
recipe calls for 1/2 t lemon rind - I throw in some dehydrated lemon slices
1/3 C diced jarred red pepper, drained (optional)

In large pot mix the broth and soup. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender.

Asparagus Chicken - adapted from Recipezaar

1 pint jar home-canned chicken breast (reserve liquid)
1 (15 oz) can asparagus, drained (reserve liquid)
1 (10 1/2 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 C mayo
1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
1 t lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Gently mix all the ingredients together (minus the reserved liquid and cheese). Grease medium sized casserole dish and pour in the ingredients. Top with the cheese. Cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

The reason I suggested reserving the liquid from the drained chicken and asparagus is for cooking rice. This meal is delicious over rice. Use the reserved liquid as part of the liquid measure when cooking the rice. If water were scarce, it's important to remember that the liquid from our canned goods is usable.
For instance, use juice from bottled fruits for any water measurements in cakes/cookies, etc.

I thought it was delicious as is, but if you wanted to play with it a bit - maybe a bit of sherry, some chopped water chestnuts or almonds for crunch. You could even add in some curry powder to change things on occasion. I do think some dry onions tossed in would work too.

Easy Chicken Spaghetti - adapted from Recipezaar

1 pint home-canned chicken breast, drained if you like, but you can add the broth too
2 pkgs spaghetti, cooked
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth or chicken bouillon and water to make 14 oz.
2 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
2 (14 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed

In a large pot mix together the chicken, broth, Rotel, mushroom soup and Velveeta. Stir and heat until blended together well.
Grease 2 each 9x3 casserole dishes.
Mix the pot ingredients with the cooked spaghetti. Divide evenly between the two casserole dishes.
Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes.
This freezes well. It also makes a lot - so this is a good recipe to make one for you and take another to a sick friend:)

Savory Beef

3 pints home-canned beef roast
1/2 C cooking red wine (optional)
12 oz can tomato paste and 12 oz of water (rinse the can out)
3 T lemon juice
4 t worcestershire sauce
2 T dry parsley
1 t dry thyme
2 bay leaves
2 T brown sugar
2 t salt
1 t crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
2 T dry onions
2-3 cloves minced garlic

Simmer all 'til heated through or keep in crock pot until ready to serve. Remove bay leaves prior to serving.
Good with rice, potatoes, polenta, or egg noodles.

Rambo Chili Con Carne - SPICY

2 pints home-canned ground beef
2 T dry onion
1 oz pkg William's Brand Tex Mex Style Chili Seasoning
2 each (14 1/2 oz) cans Mexican-Style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers (or without peppers if you can't take the heat:)
1 each (16 oz) can Bush's Best Chili Beans (Red Beans in Chili Sauce) Medium Sauce
1/2 t ground cumin
1 T vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in the pot and heat through.

We like it on its own, over cornbread or macaroni too. Good with a bit of cheese on top and/or a dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Makes great chili cheese dogs.

TunaMacMush

14 oz can tuna, drained
10.75 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup and 1 can water (rinse can out)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb bag egg noodles, cooked al dente, drained
crushed potato chips

Mix tuna, soup, water, salt and pepper together. Stir in noodles. Place in a tall greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

You can add some canned peas too. If you do, use the drained water from those as part of you liquid measurement.
Other ways we like it: Add some fried, sliced, canned mushrooms and dry onion and a little thyme.

Earl-The-Squirrel
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Growing your own small indoor garden like in jars, etc. helps a lot because you can use fresh herbs, vegis, etc. (dried herbs also make meals much more tasty). Good luck:302:

phylm
10-09-2010, 11:32 PM
So, thinking about the 3-month supply we're supposed to have of more "normal" meals... anyone got any good ideas?

I'm thinking soups and bread, spaghetti, Hawaiian haystacks...of course, with no tomatoes. Or celery or green peppers, either. :001_unsure: Hmm.... I guess fresh produce would be out altogether...

You can get freeze-dried tomato dices, green peppers and sliced celery at Emergency Essentials, and probably at other sites. The sprouts are a good idea, too.

I make coleslaw from my dehydrated chopped cabbage, and cook with my other dried vegetables all the time.

4evermama
10-10-2010, 12:18 AM
I make coleslaw from my dehydrated chopped cabbage, and cook with my other dried vegetables all the time.

Okay, this got my attention.
Cabbage is a great filler and we make a great coleslaw with diced apples. I just assumed that it would dehydrate into dust. Does it tun out more like celery than lettuce? This would be great o have on hand.

If you do it yourself, would you mind giving me advice? Any help would be most appreciated!