PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a generator

thor610
11-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I am looking to purchase a generator to power my basement sump pump during a power outage. It is a 1/2 HP cast iron submersible pump. I have looked at some info, but am clueless as what I need to look for in a generator. Can someone please give me some advice?

thermocouple
11-06-2008, 08:41 AM
There is a thread called "Basic Generator Calculator" in this forum. Use that tool to determine your approximate power needs, based on general appliances you intend to run. Once you have an idea of how many watts you will need out of a generator, start deciding between brands, get the best quality generator that your budget will allow.

thor610
11-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you. I looked at it. The wattage requirements on that site are very different from what I have seen elsewhere. So much so, that we're talking hundreds of dollars difference in generator sizes.

waif69
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Cutler Hammer Generator Calculator (https://www.ch.cutler-hammer.com/generatorCalc/wattshow.jsp)

thor610
11-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you. I think I have an idea now why the wattage requirements are different. It has to do with continuous and surge requirements. That makes sense.